Thread: Something is out to get me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Something is out to get me.

So two days ago there was a flood in my house. All of the Pergo laminate I put down last year, garbage. Bottom foot of the drywall in most of the house has been cut out, and needs to be replaced. All said, looking at $5-10K in damage. Homeowners is probably going to cover it, but because we also had a claim last October (lightning strike), they are probably going to drop us afterward.

But wait, there's more! When I first found the flood, I slipped in the water in my hallway, head hit the floor, toes hit the wall. It looked like I'd broken two toes, but I went to Urgent Care, "only" tore the muscles slightly. At least no concussion. Fun, eh? I have to laugh, because if I didn't, I'd cry.

-Adam
    System 1: Core i5-4670K | Z97-Pro Gamer | RX480 GTR | 4*4GB PC3-17000 | 120GB EVO 850 | 2TB Caviar Black |2TB Spinpoint F4 | Raidmax Zeta | Corsair 550VX
    Portable Thingie: HP Pavillion G7-2320DX
    Be the census taker... I'm hungry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ouch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The house is going to be under rebuild for the next two-three weeks, according to the crew. Great.

Why did I even bother trying to make it nice? The Pergo had to ALL be trashed, there went about fifteen hundred in materials (I did the prep and installation); not to mention the fact that the bottom foot of virtually every interior wall had to be cut out.

The rest of the family has been in a hotel the past few nights, because of the noise of the multiple industrial dehumidifiers and air scrubbers running full time; I've been staying here to take care of the animals.

Happy freaking holidays. I quit.

-Adam
    System 1: Core i5-4670K | Z97-Pro Gamer | RX480 GTR | 4*4GB PC3-17000 | 120GB EVO 850 | 2TB Caviar Black |2TB Spinpoint F4 | Raidmax Zeta | Corsair 550VX

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

/pep talk

I'm not going to say that you have the worst luck of anybody I've ever met, Adam, but you'd have to be in the top 5.

I guess if there's going to be a bright spot in all this, it's that it's happening in December when the weather is cooler, even in New Mexico.
    Rig 1: Phenom II X2 550-Asus M5A78L-MLX--2x4 Patriot DDR3 1333--Asus Formula HD4770--Enermax Triathlor 450--LG Flatron W2252TQ--Win 10 x64
    Rig 2: Core i3 6300--Asrock Z170M Extreme4--2x8 Adata DDR4 2400--EVGA GTX 750Ti--Corsair CX500M--Corsair Hydro H55--Windows 7 x64

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrWicked1968 View Post
    I guess if there's going to be a bright spot in all this, it's that it's happening in December when the weather is cooler, even in New Mexico.
    Yeah, that's the saving grace, if you will. If it was summer, the dehumidification would take much longer, because the whole house would have been much more humid (from running the swamp cooler).

As-is, the industrial dehumidifiers are out (for now, they will be back on Monday to see if they need to open the wall in my bedroom any further), but I still have to run the air scrubber until Monday.

-Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    266 Posts

Can you get estimates that include labor for the insurance company and then do the work yourself?

That's what I did when I had a flood and had to replace carpet and drywall.

I don't think that's illegal... is it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Can you get estimates that include labor for the insurance company and then do the work yourself?

That's what I did when I had a flood and had to replace carpet and drywall.

I don't think that's illegal... is it?
    I doubt it's illegal; we've had (in car accidents) insurance adjusters tell us we could do that. It's just that in this case, it's beyond my construction ability; there is structural damage.

-Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last of the drywall that was replaced from the flood was textured Wednesday... sort of. We signed with a company to refit our house, since we still have polybutylene that has not blown, but the city told us that in six months, they will be redoing the mains in our entire neighborhood, which in Rio Rancho, means, expect poly to blow when the pressure is ramped up.

The company we signed is doing a "Christmas Special," and without them doing the drywall, which I can do myself, the cost is $3000, which is less than half of the next best price. They are licensed, bonded, insured, and are recommended all over the place up here, so it should be fine.

They start on Monday, and it should take 3-4 days, then I can replace the drywall they cut out for the repipe, tape and texture it, and *then* we can start to paint and floor the rest of the house.

Probably doing ceramic tile in everything but the bedrooms (which for now are just going to have heavy duty self-stick tile), for the water-damage resistance. The Pergo laminate I'd put down two Summers ago was beautiful, but too delicate, and real hardwood is beyond our budget (I'll be doing the tiling), so probably going to go with a nice reddish-rust colored ceramic for the entryway, living room, hallway, and *maybe* the kitchen, if I can pull the old linoleum without fuming up the place.

-Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Off to Home Depot, which has almost become our second home. Need to pick up more drywall mud, tape, and texturing; the polybutylene repipe crew had to cut out a lot more drywall than I'd thought.

Wednesday the city comes out to inspect the repipe, after they certify it,*then* I can start repairing the drywall again.

After that, there's only new floors over most of the house, painting the rest of the house, new floor moldings and door casings for most of the house, and a freaking partridge in a pear tree.

-Adam