Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New ThermalTake 1000W PSU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Right, they just order something and put a label on it.

With this cheap thing, I think they could have ordered a 300W HEC and put a 430W Thermaltake Label on it.

€dit: I have a 350W HEC-350MR-PRD here wich has 28A on the +3,3V Rail and 35A on the +5V and 18A on +12V, the Thermaltake on the other hand has just 28A/3,3V 30A/5V and 18A +12V.
    And there is no information about any combined power whatsoever on the Thermaltake label which is not very comforting...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The PCB on mine was labeled "6.3A fuse for 300W"

and it has a 6.3A fuse. Infact on mine, that was the highest it was silkscreened for. From the testing it looks like it was a ok-ish 300W unit.
    Last edited by 370forlife; 11-25-2009 at 04:31 PM. Reason: 6.3A not 8
    Quote Originally Posted by JFK
    The American, by nature, is optimistic. He is experimental, an inventor and a builder who builds best when called upon to build greatly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    Right, they just order something and put a label on it.

With this cheap thing, I think they could have ordered a 300W HEC and put a 430W Thermaltake Label on it.
    Or....it could just be HEC doesn't make the best stuff and TT just rebrands the exact thing HEC sells. TT Hasn't been over infalting the CWT or FSP's they sell...so why would you claim just the HEC's?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    Or....it could just be HEC doesn't make the best stuff and TT just rebrands the exact thing HEC sells. TT Hasn't been over infalting the CWT or FSP's they sell...so why would you claim just the HEC's?
    I think HEC likes to tell OEM's that unit's are higher wattage than they are. Such as my above post pointing out the XP550 is silkscreened as a 300W unit. My old 750W Zephyr (which is HEC though,) was silkscreened as a 600W unit.
    The American, by nature, is optimistic. He is experimental, an inventor and a builder who builds best when called upon to build greatly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I didn't say that HEC is the best company in the world, I just say they make some decent PSUs, nothing special but nothing that will explode, like Hunktey, LC-Power or so.

This Thermaltake unit is a very overrated HEC design, no wonder it doesn't perform very well but every unit would suck if you put a label on it that has figures on it that are way bigger than the hardware was ever intended for it...
    Quote Originally Posted by 370forlife View Post
    I think HEC likes to tell OEM's that unit's are higher wattage than they are.
    Or they just make the units that way the OEM (or maybe even the HEC Office) orderes...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I think HEC likes to tell OEM's that unit's are higher wattage than they are. Such as my above post pointing out the XP550 is silkscreened as a 300W unit. My old 750W Zephyr (which is HEC though,) was silkscreened as a 600W unit.
    Which would fully place the blame for crappy units on HEC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I didn't say that HEC is the best company in the world, I just say they make some decent PSUs, nothing special but nothing that will explode, like Hunktey, LC-Power or so.

This Thermaltake unit is a very overrated HEC design, no wonder it doesn't perform very well but every unit would suck if you put a label on it that has figures on it that are way bigger than the hardware was ever intended for it...
    Well no, that is the label HEC intended for the unit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it was a company like powmax that was using that, then ya I could believe that it was powmax who made up that label, but thermaltake isn't stupid, they just get the specs from the OEM, hence why their CWT units are not overrated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    Which would fully place the blame for crappy units on HEC.
    I think it's not that easy...
    Have you taken a look on the differend HEC websites in the world?

Just take a look at the US, UK and German site (Produkte -> Netzteile).
    Then you take a look at the Taiwanese Page, where everything they produce at the moment is listed...

It seems that the regional offices act like a OEM and HEC/Compucase makes what the offices like to have (like those X-Power Units with LED fans on it).
    If it was a company like powmax that was using that, then ya I could believe that it was powmax who made up that label, but thermaltake isn't stupid, they just get the specs from the OEM, hence why their CWT units are not overrated.
    Could be that companies like CWT tell the OEM how the label should look like.
    But there are also overrated CWT units on the market, at least in Germany (like the LC8850 Metatron Arkangel wich seems to be a decent 600-700W Unit).

Or HEC is cheaper in the lower market...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It seems that the regional offices act like a OEM and HEC/Compucase makes what the offices like to have (like those X-Power Units with LED fans on it).
    And somehow because they only sell shitty units in some regions that makes them a good company? That's what we call fuzzy logic...
    Main: i5 2500K@4.6GHz w/Zalman CNPS10X Performa, Intel DZ68BC, 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600, PNY GTX 470 + EVGA GTX 470, ASUS Xonar DX, ADATA S510 120GB, Samsung 1TB F3+1TB F1+2TB F4, Kingwin LZG 1kW, Lian-Li PC-9F, Dell U2212HM+S2209W, Win7 Professional.
    Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, i5 2410M, 8GB DDR3-1333, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1GB, Intel X25-M 80GB, Seagate Momentus 750GB, Win7 Home Premium.