Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the best cheapest PSU you can get?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What's the best cheapest PSU you can get?

I need to built a new cheap pc so i can use it as a file server. Fill it with hard drives so i can keep my stored data, so for this reason i dont need it to be high end at all.

I have found a psu with as low as 10 Euros, but i;m afraid it may eventually damage my PC if something goes wrong.

So i need to ask you guys, which do you think is the best quality budget PSU around?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Which store are you looking at?

I don't know if Fortron (FSP) is available to you ...

The lowest I'd go is LC Power ... had one and it's still working well at my friends configuration, after couple of years.

BTW I wouldn't go below 20-25 euros.
    Just google'in

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by therock003 View Post
    I need to built a new cheap pc so i can use it as a file server. Fill it with hard drives so i can keep my stored data, so for this reason i dont need it to be high end at all.

I have found a psu with as low as 10 Euros, but i;m afraid it may eventually damage my PC if something goes wrong.

So i need to ask you guys, which do you think is the best quality budget PSU around?
    It would help if you linked to an online store or two that you can get PSUs from. What's low budget in the U.S could be expensive over there in Europe and vice versa.

Also, this is a file server correct? Storing data that you want to keep around? If so, don't cheap out on the PSU. Many hard drives together can use just as much power as a mid-range video card. So unlike a single drive work PC, a file server's PSU should not be cheaped out on.
    (Gaming Rig) - Intel E6400 OC'd @ 3.2Ghz || AC7Pro HSF || GA-965P-DS3 Rev. 1.0 || 4 x 1GB G.Skill DDR2 800 Ram || Maxtor 320GB HDD|| 3 x Seagate 1TB HDD || NEC ND3550A DVD-RW || nVidia 8800GT 512MB PCI-E || Corsair 520HX 520W PSU || Antec P180 || Win XP Pro
    (Server) - Intel Pentium III 866Mhz || 512MB PC133 RAM || 1 x Western Digital 40GB HDD || 2 x Seagate 120GB HDD || Maxtor 320GB & 500GB HDD || Earthwatts 380W PSU || Ubuntu Server Edition

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ferky View Post
    The lowest I'd go is LC Power ... had one and it's still working well at my friends configuration, after couple of years.
    LC Power is Deer, so no, that would not be a good option at all.
    Main: i5 2500K@4.6GHz w/Zalman CNPS10X Performa, Intel DZ68BC, 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600, PNY GTX 470 + EVGA GTX 470, ASUS Xonar DX, ADATA S510 120GB, Samsung 1TB F3+1TB F1+2TB F4, Kingwin LZG 1kW, Lian-Li PC-9F, Dell U2212HM+S2209W, Win7 Professional.
    Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, i5 2410M, 8GB DDR3-1333, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1GB, Intel X25-M 80GB, Seagate Momentus 750GB, Win7 Home Premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I didn't say it was the best but there's really no maneuvering space in this class :/

I speak exclusively from my experience and it is positive (so are a couple of other people that I know which have been using that PSU brand).

The only possible drawback is bad tolerance for high temps (not in my case) and it will not make any impact on other components if it really does fail.

If you have a better sugestion for a 20-30$ PSU be my guest ...

Of course that one CX 400 would be a better choice, but money is an issue in this case and CX is about 50 Euros (~70$) in Europe so ... the only real value PSU in EU is Fortron at around ~50$ (~30 Euros).
    Last edited by ferky; 11-05-2009 at 11:48 PM.
    Just google'in

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ferky View Post
    Well I didn't say it was the best but there's really no maneuvering space in this class :/

I speak exclusively from my experience and it is positive (so are a couple of other people that I know which have been using that PSU brand).

The only possible drawback is bad tolerance for high temps (not in my case) and it will not make any impact on other components if it really does fail.

If you have a better sugestion for a 20-30$ PSU be my guest ...
    No matter how cheap it is, that doesn't change the fact that it's a piece of shit. And there aren't any good $20-30 PSUs. That's a simple fact. If you want to have something good, you have to be prepared to spend a bit of money. That's life.
    Main: i5 2500K@4.6GHz w/Zalman CNPS10X Performa, Intel DZ68BC, 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600, PNY GTX 470 + EVGA GTX 470, ASUS Xonar DX, ADATA S510 120GB, Samsung 1TB F3+1TB F1+2TB F4, Kingwin LZG 1kW, Lian-Li PC-9F, Dell U2212HM+S2209W, Win7 Professional.
    Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, i5 2410M, 8GB DDR3-1333, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1GB, Intel X25-M 80GB, Seagate Momentus 750GB, Win7 Home Premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh that is really indisputable, but there is a hole bunch of people that really don't give a crap about a quality of a PSU (I'm not one of them ).

Mostly a typical user will get one of those case integrated PSU's and will take a big chance with it ... which is really not a good decision, but as I said they don't care.

BTW I've never heard LC Power burning other components in case it fails so that was my main guide in this case.

EDIT:

I've forgotten Seasonic ET and ES series (SS-350ET for ex.) which are really good for that price but they had availability problems (don't know if that's the case lately).

EDIT #2:

Just noticed you wrote that LC Power is Deer ... actually it's not.

LC Power is not L&C!

Huntkey is making the cheaper models for LC Power, while more powerfull ones are made by CWT.

Just for a correct info
    Last edited by ferky; 11-06-2009 at 04:42 AM.
    Just google'in

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

If you stick with the cheapo I'll recommend a Huntkey or an FSP as a safe bet. It might not be that powerful, but if you throw an IGP rig to it it's no problem.
    It's been a hard day's night and I've been working like a dog.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So guys, for those of you who asked me the places i shopped, these are plaisio.gr and eshop.gr and the cheapest ones (no quality though) are these:

http://www.plaisio.gr/Computers/Hard...%209-19%29.htm
    http://www.plaisio.gr/Computers/Hard...DR-8460BTX.htm

Finally i want to say that i also give a crap for the psu but no for this comp since it's gonna be low end.

For my high end computer i gave 300 euro for the 1250 enermax so i dont think i guy that doesnt care would ever dream to buy that!

So anyway, could someone inform me of the negatives of buying a low end psu? What could go bad?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Some cheapo can't give stable output. Some lacks necessary protection so your hardware is in danger.
    It's been a hard day's night and I've been working like a dog.