Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: PC Power and Cooling, what's up?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hey will just make a page about how modular connectors actually make the voltages better somehow.

And fanboys everywhere will accept it as fact and also act as if PC P&C never said modular was worse.
    Well, if I was in the business, I would design a modified locking/attachment mechanism. One that would allow me to circumvent previous patents, and claim superior conduction/contact surface area. Notice I said claim. It just has to be a very little bit better, and just a little bit more locking. Then you kill two birds with one stone: the competitive patents, and the legacy aversion to the connectors. Should be fairly easy to do. I don't know why it hasn't been done already?

I'll give you and example: SATA connectors were horrible when they first came out. You put any sideways force, and the head broke. Then came two sided, and then locking. They are pretty robust now.

Apple has their magnetic power connection. If people will buy that, they will buy anything...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is Wintact now owned by OCZ or do they have a stake in it?
    Software readings are crap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
    Apple has their magnetic power connection. If people will buy that, they will buy anything...
    To be fair, the magnetic power connector on the macbooks is pretty awesome. It snaps right in place, and if somebody trips over the cord, it just pulls out easily without even jerking the laptop away from the hand at all. Quite different from my Dell laptop with its clunky power adapter, thick cable, and ugly, crude connector.

I'll bet it also costs quite a bit more.

That's the issue with creating new modular connectors - not much you can do to get around the patent, but there are better connectors out there from a resistance and functionality side, they just cost a huge amount more, and you really have to ask how many more you'll sell with the new connector.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Super Nade View Post
    Is Wintact now owned by OCZ or do they have a stake in it?
    I don't think there's any connection between the two. In fact, Win-tact hasn't actually manufactured any PSUs for PCP&C for a while now (they had just been selling old Turbo-cool stock).
    Main: i5 2500K@4.6GHz w/Zalman CNPS10X Performa, Intel DZ68BC, 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600, PNY GTX 470 + EVGA GTX 470, ASUS Xonar DX, ADATA S510 120GB, Samsung 1TB F3+1TB F1+2TB F4, Kingwin LZG 1kW, Lian-Li PC-9F, Dell U2212HM+S2209W, Win7 Professional.
    Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, i5 2410M, 8GB DDR3-1333, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1GB, Intel X25-M 80GB, Seagate Momentus 750GB, Win7 Home Premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
    I've been not so subtly hinting that they should pick up the modular big fanned Win-Tact 1kW for some time... hoping that's what the future holds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
    I don't think there's any connection between the two. In fact, Win-tact hasn't actually manufactured any PSUs for PCP&C for a while now (they had just been selling old Turbo-cool stock).
    AFAIK, PCP had a stake in WinTact. I could be wrong, but I don't know what the current status is.
    Software readings are crap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Super Nade View Post
    AFAIK, PCP had a stake in WinTact. I could be wrong, but I don't know what the current status is.
    No they just were their only retail partner in the US.