Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seasonic M12D turns the mains down when connected

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Seasonic M12D turns the mains down when connected [SOLVED]

Hi all,

Since i opened my first thread here, i thought i sould also ask for a solution to my problem here...

Well, in May, i opened a thread on which PSU to buy and everything concluded in getting the Seasonic M12D 750W.

I finally got it a few days ago due to constant lack of stock of the supplier here & due to being very busy for the last few months.

Today, i tried to get rid of my old PSU and install the M12D. Everything was connected ( 24pin, 8pin12V for CPU, PCI-E cable, 4pin molexes for my 655 pump & rest of peripherals ). Everything seemed to be ok, so i said it was fine to connect the PSU to the mains.

I took the power cable connected to my Eaton 9130 Online UPS and with the PSU's power switch off, i connected it to the PSU. Then the lights went out (and everything else in the house ) and the UPS turned to battery supply. I had to turn the mains switch on....

Checked everything and tried it once more ( the Seasonic's manual suggests to turn the switch on/off a few times in order to "reset" the PSU, so i did ) and the same thing happened.I also tried to connect it directly to the wall socket , in case the UPS caused the trouble, but the same thing happened.

I'm probably going to RMA cause i think the unit is faulty ( probably some short-circuit inside the unit ) , but i thought it would be a good idea to ask for some opinions first.

Anyone has anything to suggest ?

Thank you
    Last edited by felix; 09-28-2009 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Solved

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the unit is tripping the circuit breakers in your house, then I would definitely say that it is faulty.
    Main: i5 2500K@4.6GHz w/Zalman CNPS10X Performa, Intel DZ68BC, 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600, PNY GTX 470 + EVGA GTX 470, ASUS Xonar DX, ADATA S510 120GB, Samsung 1TB F3+1TB F1+2TB F4, Kingwin LZG 1kW, Lian-Li PC-9F, Dell U2212HM+S2209W, Win7 Professional.
    Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, i5 2410M, 8GB DDR3-1333, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1GB, Intel X25-M 80GB, Seagate Momentus 750GB, Win7 Home Premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm probably going to RMA cause i think the unit is faulty ( probably some short-circuit inside the unit )
    Ya think!

Totally shorted primary! That thing could easily burn your house down!
    Yes. One of the last commincations I had with Dave Hammock before he disappeared from the web was how a major brand single +12V rail PSU wasn't shutting down when shorted. We were literally arc welding with the PSU. Hopefully Dave's absense isn't due to the fact that he got over zealous with the welding.
    JonnyGURU Posted 4-1-08

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you for your replies.

I am not an expertor an electrician, but it seems weird to me that it can bypass the UPS and cause a shut-down to the mains. I would expect to cause something to the UPS unit or just an alarm.

I took the PSU out of the case today to test it. I jumpered the green cable ( i think it's the power-ok signal ) with a ground cable and connected to the wall socket directly.
    It just worked fine!!!!

Then i tried with everything connected on the mainboard & peripherals ( 24pin, 8pin, 6ipn PCI-E, Sata's & Molex ) and i left the PSU out of the case
    Again, it worked fine!!!

I tried again with the PSU in the case again and fitted the 4 bolts of the PSU to the back of the case. I did not connect anything else, except i jumpered again the green cable of the 24pin connector. All the cables were guided through the hole of the mainboard tray to the back of the case ( PSU is located at the bottom of the case, Coolermaster CM690 ), just behind the mainboard tray.
    To my big surprise, the mains again were turned down.....

So, i think that we're talking about a bad grounding of the PSU in the case ?

Something else i thought of is that maybe a short-circuit is caused by the bending of the cables to pass through the opening of the mainboard tray. Maybe inside the unit some cables are touching to each other and this problem occurs....

I don't know....

UPDATE :

Tried with PSU inside case,nothing connected but PSU just sitting there without bolts. Voila!!!! Everything OK!!!

Tried with PSU inside case,nothing connected and started to screw one bolt slowly. After 6-7 turns of the screwdriver, mains shut down!!!!!!Unbelievable!!!
    Last edited by felix; 09-28-2009 at 04:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SOLVED!!!

Well, tried everything so i got finally to this :

Seems that 1 of the 4 mounting bolts ( i used the ones supplied by Seasonic ) was making contact with a cable. The cable is the blue one in this review's picture (review @ jonnyguru.com):

and in my unit it's right behind the mounting hole of that bolt!!!

Here you can see the back grille of the unit:

and here the detail :

As you can see the protecting sleeve of the cable is damaged by the bolt ( a small but deep cut ) which was enough to make a short-circuit...

In the review of the 850W Unit, this cable is definitely not right behind the mounting hole, so in my case we are obviously dealing with a unit that had some fitting/assembly (?) fault ( if that is the correct term ).

I will now contact the Retailer and make sure that in the new unit there is no such thing happening.

Thank you all for your replies again. Glad that this was solved!!!
    Last edited by felix; 09-30-2009 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Removed hotlinked image

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question

Nice troubleshooting, but you just killed your warranty, why?
    Yes. One of the last commincations I had with Dave Hammock before he disappeared from the web was how a major brand single +12V rail PSU wasn't shutting down when shorted. We were literally arc welding with the PSU. Hopefully Dave's absense isn't due to the fact that he got over zealous with the welding.
    JonnyGURU Posted 4-1-08

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

You've bought the earliest version of M12D which actually has had this assembly issue. It's fixed on the next revision so you'd better return it to Seasonic.
    It's been a hard day's night and I've been working like a dog.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    The cable is the blue one in this review's picture :
    Please don't hotlink our images. I've removed the one in question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davidhammock200 View Post
    He didn't take apart his PSU; the internal pictures are from a review.
    Main: i5 2500K@4.6GHz w/Zalman CNPS10X Performa, Intel DZ68BC, 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600, PNY GTX 470 + EVGA GTX 470, ASUS Xonar DX, ADATA S510 120GB, Samsung 1TB F3+1TB F1+2TB F4, Kingwin LZG 1kW, Lian-Li PC-9F, Dell U2212HM+S2209W, Win7 Professional.
    Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, i5 2410M, 8GB DDR3-1333, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1GB, Intel X25-M 80GB, Seagate Momentus 750GB, Win7 Home Premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davidhammock200 View Post
    Sorry for any misunderstanding caused, but i think it's clearly stated that the internals are shown from "review's pictures" -->>>

Quote Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
    He didn't take apart his PSU; the internal pictures are from a review.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post
    You've bought the earliest version of M12D which actually has had this assembly issue. It's fixed on the next revision so you'd better return it to Seasonic.
    I returned it yesterday to the Retailer. It seems that they are constantly receiving new stock (or maybe every time they order they get very few units ), so hopefully the new unit i get is the revised one.
    There was also a high-pitched noise coming from the PSU, so i hope this is also fixed too.

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
    Please don't hotlink our images. I've removed the one in question.
    Sorry about that. My fault.