Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PS Recomendation Please

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I got an Antec Three Hundred case to build a system for a friend, and I was surprised how flimsy it seemed. Not that I'd expect a lot for the price, but it was really light and also a bit cramped.

Rig 1: Core i5 6600K - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Corsair Vengeance 16GB PC2666 RAM - MSI GeForce GTX1070 - Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD + 2TB Seagate SSHD - Corsair RM550x - Fractal Design R5 - Win10 64

Rig 2: Ryzen 1700X @ 3.9 GHz - Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 - Corsair LPX 16GB PC3200 RAM - Gigabyte GeForce 1070 - 250GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD - Corsair RM650i - Win10 64
    HTPC: AMD A6-6400k - MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 mITX - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz - 3.5TB storage - Silver Power 460W passive - CM Elite 120

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the antec 180.

OK, but much tighter than I expected. Modern VID cards are getting longer and longer. Clearance for tall HSF is also limited. And finally, touching on power supplies, cable routing is long, tight, and generally just a pain.

For the same price $140 w/free shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119160

The HAF is a huge improvement in all these regards.

Might not be your ascetic, but for ease of use and accommodation of really long cards (all new version from either amd or NV) and cable routing, it is a huge benefit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have been using Xcilo for quite some time now, as I was able to pick up 10 of of these on a close out.

I like the styling, cooling is great, very solid construction & there is plenty of room, but small, inconspicuous & quiet they are not! Great for gamers, not so much for business.

http://www.xclio.com/products/case-w...el.htm#details

The Antec Sonata remains my favorite for higher end business clients.

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NzIx

And for lower end business, it is the "flavor of the month", whatever I can find.

I think Antec is just building what customers are buying, most won't pay for a 1200, but bitch about about the 300.
    Yes. One of the last commincations I had with Dave Hammock before he disappeared from the web was how a major brand single +12V rail PSU wasn't shutting down when shorted. We were literally arc welding with the PSU. Hopefully Dave's absense isn't due to the fact that he got over zealous with the welding.
    JonnyGURU Posted 4-1-08

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here is what mine looks like with the new PS.

I know that the bottom video card fan is eating the cord here, when I turned it on it was like vzzzzzz . I fixed it since then. I am happy with the case, I know not to toss the case around to much any way. I am just gentle with it when moving it that's all. I like the case though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davidhammock200 View Post
    Would you please explain "Antec cases have been falling behind for quite some time".
    That's just my opinion of Antec cases. They don't have a lot of features other cases have, some of which are very nice features. For example, PSU ventilation, CPU retention hole (which allows you to add/remove CPU cooler backplates without removing the motherboard), tool free designs for the drive bay, and Antec cases are simply puny (even the 1200, except for height). The Antec 300 is just a horrible case. I used to have one, it has almost no cable management options, and a flimsy build quality. A Cooler Master 590/690 is a much better buy at that price. The 900 has the same issues, but the 902 replaced it. The P193 is my favorite Antec case, but again lacks PSU ventilation, a CPU retention hole, and the side fan interferes with large CPU coolers. Without that side fan, GPUs won't get much airflow, but you can however remove the top HDD cage and use a high CFM fan there, and airflow would be a lot better. Still not good for SLI/CrossFireX setups.

Go to 3DGameman.com and look up some videos on Cooler Master cases (HAF series, Storm series, ATCS 840). Those easily put any Antec case to shame in my opinion. So much more versatile, better built, and better features.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm favoring the Cooler Master cases also, primarily because of space in front of the board for longer video cards. Antec is OK, just not my preference.
    i7-2600K W/Apogee XT block, ASRock Z77 Extreme 4, G.Skill 2x4GB 1600, Powercolor 5870 W/EK full block, Seasonic X650, Intel 320 160GB, Caselabs M8