Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kung Pow was such a good movie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Been a while since the review, but I finally got my system overclocked enough to find the high gear in the ChillTEC's fan. The X2 is at 250 x10, 1.4v. System temp given by Speedfan is 33 degrees, with 31 on the front panel. CPU temp is holding at 49.5 degrees. This is while encoding video btw

Hoping to hit at least 2600 before I quit overclocking this chip. I think the Grid needs a little better cooling itself to go much higher. Running the Silverstone ST56ZF at the moment - wanted to see what would happen without the X-Pro 600's gigantic fan in there helping things. Now, I can say for sure the 120mm Ultra case fans are running a bit too slow to get the ChillTEC's heat out of the case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Mine does exactly the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by madmat View Post
    Generally it hovers around 23-24C and hits 26C when the PC locks up. That's when the fan stays spinning but when it's idling it's at those temps.
    I also have the stop-start thing going on in mine - basically, it had me worried enough to do some searching on the web and I came across this forum... so I give it credit for something good!

I also have an abit fatality board, but the one for 775 not the AMD. My temps on the display go from 22-23C during the off phase... then as the temps hit 26C fan comes on (thankfully no lockup like you have) - it runs for about 3-6 seconds... temps drop to 22C quickly, then off again. Ran two SuperPI instances to bring up the load - fan stays on then - but still quiet, and temps stay at 26-28C!

Oh guess I should say for referrence that I'm running a Core2Duo E6300 which is overclocked to a 1333MHz(QP) frontside so ~2333MHz core speed from 1.86GHz stock. Motherboard monitor puts the CPU under load with this setup at 29-31C... so front panel is off, but not by that much. If it weren't for the chipset being passively cooled I know I could go much higher with the chip!

Anyway back to the start-stop thing, I'd guess that they might have changed fans during production runs and perhaps the later ones are too close to the edge for the 7V resisted mode and the fan stops altogether. I don't mind because I think if it weren't for the peltier generating heat I could probably do without the fan at all when idle... no under load, but then the fan is running so all is pretty good. Panaflow will get swapped in when I have time/get frustrated enough with the fan that's in there.. but for now it's fine.
    Last edited by Jon Gerow; 05-26-2007 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Fixed open quote tag

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

On my FX57 and my 64 3800 mine would do the start/stop at boot, but quit once the system is loaded up. Since changing over to the 64 5600 it no longer does it.

I think your just running right on the borderline, once the system is loaded and the CPU generates enough heat the ChillTec kicks in.

On the Temp display being off compared to a software monitor. Its not meant to be the same. The temp monitor software is reporting temps at the sensors (which is normally inaccurate). The ChillTec display reports the temperature of the COLD plate on the ChillTec itself. It should be lower than the CPU temps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MI-Tazz View Post
    The ChillTec display reports the temperature of the COLD plate on the ChillTec itself. It should be lower than the CPU temps.
    My review sample finally showed me temps over 37 degrees on the display panel a couple days ago... CPU temps were 45 degrees idle, even with the board out of the case. Ever since, the ChillTEC goes right into high gear as soon as the system gets power. Yours truly knocked it too hard while unplugging an optical and apparently hosed it. A bracket was bent, but straightening it didn't help any.

Still, I'm impressed by how long it lasted... it would still be going if I hadn't been so clumsy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Doh, that doesnt sound good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah - happened about a week after I spotted the power connector at the control box going black thanks to the Silverstone's Molexes being loose... fixed that problem easily enough, but I can't seem to bring it back this time