Thread: "Hot Box" (Better explained???)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

Default "Hot Box" (Better explained???)

This has come up a couple times from some pretty smart people. Apparently, my explanation of the "hot box" isn't too good and so people often ask how and why I do the "hot box."

The last time I had to describe this was over at DFI-Street. Here's a copy and paste:

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU

I'm not pumping hot air into a working computer. I'm pumping hot air into an empty case.

One way or another, we all "pump hot air" into our cases. We do so every time we use our computers, whether we like it or not. The only exception to this is when we use water cooling to "carry" the heat away from the inside of the case to an externally mounted radiator. But you're making it sound like computer components don't generate heat. You know that's not true.

You've seent he term "THD", or "total heat dissipated." The POWER that your PSU puts out to the components that it's powering is converted into heat by the components; the CPU, the RAM, the hard drives, the South and Northbridge chips, optical drives.... Think of it as "exhaust." This is the heat that your computer creates from using the power that it uses. The more power your PC uses, the more heat the components generate and therefore, the hotter the inside of the case is.

So... since I'm not using computer components inside of the case to generate that heat, what do I have? I have a case that's as cool inside as it is outside. How do I fix this?

The load tester uses series and series of semiconductors called "SIDAC's" attached to a bunch of heatsinks. Think of the SIDAC's as your CPU, RAM, etc. The load tester has a 120MM fan that blows the heat generated by the SIDAC's because they are loading up the rails, back into the case.

If anything, the inside of the case is "too cool" because the exhaust tube isn't the only way the air is going to exit the load tester and the tube actually acts as a sink and some of the heat is dissipated from it.

So why are my temps "so high?" When was the last time you worked your computer SO HARD that it SUSTAINED a 300 or 400W load on your PSU? If you could (and I don't know how you WOULD) it would be pretty damn hot INSIDE that case.

I do "aggrevate" the environment a little bit by not having an intake fan or an exhaust fan other than the PSU's fan, but then again the case has all of the slots knocked out of it so it's got more holes than swiss cheese!

So would it be unrealistic to pump hot air into their case while using the computer? Yes.

But since I don't even have a computer in the case, I need to pump hot air into it to emulate me using a computer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs down

People in that thread sound like my local car salesman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a question, is the tubing insulated or just a single wall? If it's uninsulated would'nt it be better to use an insulated duct (like the type used for HVAC) to give the air less chance to cool?

My thinking is that instead of heat being dumped from a 500W load for a 500W load you're actually getting like 350W or so due to losses in the ducting especially if it's a metalized duct.

Just wondering.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

FINALLY Matt gets here!!! I've been looking for you on IM all weekend!!

The tubing is NOT insulated. It's like that tube used on the back of a clothes drier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry I've been offline. I was migrating my rig and w/c gear into another case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Isn't there some sort of fiberglass/foil sock that you can slip over the tube? I think I've seen stuff like that before.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At the amount of heat it pumps out already, I doubt that's really needed. The losses and stuff still add up to a good bit of heat, more than most PC's would put out. No intake, and no exhaust fan, and you have yourself a damn fine simulator. Assuming a 500w load, That, even taking the efficiency losses away, You're still talking a good 350+w heat, as madmat said. that's easily as much as, or more than, the hottest PC you can find. A ton of drives, 2 x1900's, and a smithfield or presler.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm using 6" insulated heating duct and it does a pretty bang up job of getting the heat into the case, it's fun playing with the load settings and watching how the case temps react to it.