Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is my PSU dead?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

yeah but wich Reviews did you read and wich OCZ did you buy??
    There are some that are pretty decent but the actual lineup isn't that good...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a Sirtec-built PSU, probably around the same quality level as the ModXStream line. It'll probably do the job, but it isn't something that I'd recommend.
    Main: i5 2500K@4.6GHz w/Zalman CNPS10X Performa, Intel DZ68BC, 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600, PNY GTX 470 + EVGA GTX 470, ASUS Xonar DX, ADATA S510 120GB, Samsung 1TB F3+1TB F1+2TB F4, Kingwin LZG 1kW, Lian-Li PC-9F, Dell U2212HM+S2209W, Win7 Professional.
    Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, i5 2410M, 8GB DDR3-1333, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1GB, Intel X25-M 80GB, Seagate Momentus 750GB, Win7 Home Premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello,

The model is OCZ550FTY.
    And about the reviews - I just Googled them (Newegg, random sites, YouTube, etc.)

Edit: Ah, I see.. I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that it's PC Power & Cooling-built, but I guess I'm wrong. Anyway, I hope that it's at least decent.

Best regards,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PC Power and Cooling doesn't "build" PSU's so if you read that somewhere, you were reading incorrect information. OCZ owns PC P&C but they both continue to produce completely separate lines of PSU's. You would think that both could benefit from the merger, but all that's happened thus far is that PC P&C has released red and blue versions of the 750w Silencer.

the Fatality 550w is just a dressed up version of an already mediocre PSU and has nothing in common with a PC P&C.
    Rig 1: Phenom II X2 550-Asus M5A78L-MLX--2x4 Patriot DDR3 1333--Asus Formula HD4770--Enermax Triathlor 450--LG Flatron W2252TQ--Win 10 x64
    Rig 2: Core i3 6300--Asrock Z170M Extreme4--2x8 Adata DDR4 2400--EVGA GTX 750Ti--Corsair CX500M--Corsair Hydro H55--Windows 7 x64

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrWicked1968 View Post
    You would think that both could benefit from the merger, but all that's happened thus far is that PC P&C has released red and blue versions of the 750w Silencer.
    I'm pretty sure those are actually from before the buyout.
    Main: i5 2500K@4.6GHz w/Zalman CNPS10X Performa, Intel DZ68BC, 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600, PNY GTX 470 + EVGA GTX 470, ASUS Xonar DX, ADATA S510 120GB, Samsung 1TB F3+1TB F1+2TB F4, Kingwin LZG 1kW, Lian-Li PC-9F, Dell U2212HM+S2209W, Win7 Professional.
    Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, i5 2410M, 8GB DDR3-1333, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1GB, Intel X25-M 80GB, Seagate Momentus 750GB, Win7 Home Premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrWicked1968 View Post
    You would think that both could benefit from the merger, but all that's happened thus far is that PC P&C has released red and blue versions of the 750w Silencer.
    And a so-so quality UPS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Fatality 700W on the other hand should be good, it is designed by Impervio...presumably built by IS Quasar.

No offense, but I don't understand why I constantly see people admit to opening their PSU to "see what went wrong" when they don't even know anything about SMPS or electronics....there is a label on there that says "do not open", "warranty void if broken", "no user serviceable parts inside". If it is still in warranty...DON'T OPEN IT...contact the company and get a replacement.
    "There is no way you can be Harvard Monday through Friday, and try to be Alabama on Saturday" -Art Guepe former University of Virginia head football coach

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fair point, if you aren't going to attempt a repair, don't open them up.
    I guess people want to see of it's a dust buildup, replaceable fuse or faulty fan causing the failure though. But to those people, no it probably won't be, so don't open them up.

I did RMA an antec psu after it blew and destroyed my skt a nforce 2 system. Two months later I recieved a replacement PSU.
    A year later that replacement PSU blew and stuffed up the RAM on my replacement nforce 3 system. edit: I would have been better off not getting a replacement unit free under warranty, but either buying a better PSU or opeing it up and getting someone to re-cap it or learning how to myself.
    I hate fuhjyyu/asiax and capxon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by paul_h View Post
    I did RMA an antec psu after it blew and destroyed my skt a nforce 2 system. Two months later I recieved a replacement PSU.
    A year later that replacement PSU blew and stuffed up the RAM on my replacement nforce 3 system. edit: I would have been better off not getting a replacement unit free under warranty, but either buying a better PSU or opeing it up and getting someone to re-cap it or learning how to myself.
    I hate fuhjyyu/asiax and capxon.
    You have been really unlucky with your Fuhjyyu-ed Antec. Normally they just walked away quietly not taking anything.
    It's been a hard day's night and I've been working like a dog.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My antec was the cheap 450w ones that came with the sonata 2 case though, so maybe it's different. My brother bought the same case/psu and his stuffed up his mainboard too.

I bought the sonata 2 + PSU combo for the case as I already had better larger PSUs. But I thought the SP450 would be decent enough to do the job of running a low demand older system. I used a better PSU in the sonata case for my new system.
    That's why it was only running a nforce 2 system when the antec PSU blew.
    That old system was completely destroyed, nothing worked after that PSU died, no mainboard, not ram, not cpu.
    Then after that I trusted the new antec as they came out with a longer warranty I thought they had improved it. And the fuhjyyu-ed tagan had blown as well.
    So I put the replacement antec in the replacement PC (as I had to replace mainboard , CPU and RAM after the first antec failure). A year later that PSU blew as well, everything tested fine except for RAM.