Thread: Computer repeatedly shutting off instantly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Computer repeatedly shutting off instantly

So I built my new mini-itx build in an SG05 with an e8500 and ati 4770. The SG05 comes with a psu of 300W.

Anyway, my computer has recently been shutting off on me seemingly at random. It can happen when I open a game, am playing a game, am reading text or surfing the web, even at bootup or entering into windows. Even times when the graphics card is not stressed nor is the cpu. I can't cause it to happen, it just does it at random times.

And when I say it's shutting off I mean instantly. Not blue screen or error just boom. The motherboard makes a beep and then all fans go off etc. It sounds just like what happens if I hit the switch on the back of the PSU making me suspect that the psu is shutting off the power.

I thought maybe something like OCP kicking in, but reading text while doing nothing else is hardly stressful and my system should top out at around 170W or so I think 200W at most.

I even reset my bios back to optimized defaults to rule that out and removed part of my case. Admittedly my MCH temperature is a bit high probably at 75C but it's been fine for a while and well it's a chipset. High but I'm not having any other odd problems or error's. Only an instant shutoff.

Any ideas on whether it's the PSU or anything else. By the way I do move this machine around my home and work. I've used it at home in the exact same outlet and it's never happened before.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's probably not OCP, but it could be some other kind of fault protection kicking in, like short protection or OVP. Try running the parts with a different PSU (you can run everything on a test bench, or just leave the PSU hanging outside the case if you can't fit it in). That's really the only way you can determine whether or not it's the culprit.

Also, recheck both your CPU heatsink mounting as well as the seating for your video card, RAM, power cables, SATA/IDE cables, etc. and make sure everything is in securely. It's possible that something came loose while you were moving the PC.
    Main: i5 2500K@4.6GHz w/Zalman CNPS10X Performa, Intel DZ68BC, 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600, PNY GTX 470 + EVGA GTX 470, ASUS Xonar DX, ADATA S510 120GB, Samsung 1TB F3+1TB F1+2TB F4, Kingwin LZG 1kW, Lian-Li PC-9F, Dell U2212HM+S2209W, Win7 Professional.
    Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, i5 2410M, 8GB DDR3-1333, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1GB, Intel X25-M 80GB, Seagate Momentus 750GB, Win7 Home Premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well it seems to be the power supply. Used my old ST56ZF to test it, and it lasted through an entire night without instantly powering off. I also had to use the fittingly named hacksaw to hack the 8-pin into a 4-pin as the motherboard's mini-itx form factor had a capacitor blocking the way.