Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony car stereo beeping.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sony car stereo beeping.

So the stereo installation kit (dash kit, wiring harness, antenna adapter) finally came for my Versa, and I went to install the cheap Jensen I had in my olde van (pulled it before trading it in on C4C), and discovered it was a hair too wide for the dash kit. No biggie, traded it with my kid brother for a Sony that he never put in his car.

Got it in the car, and it sounds great, but there is one "problem." When you turn off the vehicle, it puts out a series of annoying beeps through the speakers to remind you to pull the faceplate. After doing some research, it looks like it can be disabled (at least for this model), so I have two questions.

1. Do you think that the solution in the last post in that link would work for other models? Specifically, mine's a CDX-GT06.

2. Assuming it would work, how hard would it be? Basic wiring is fine with me, but it's been a while since I've done much beyond that.

-Adam
    System 1: Core i5-4670K | Z97-Pro Gamer | RX480 GTR | 4*4GB PC3-17000 | 120GB EVO 850 | 2TB Caviar Black |2TB Spinpoint F4 | Raidmax Zeta | Corsair 550VX
    Portable Thingie: HP Pavillion G7-2320DX
    Be the census taker... I'm hungry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Go into the options menu for the head and simply find the option to turn the beep off. Read the manual to find out how to do it. My Pioneer and Kenwood both did the same thing and both had a way to disable it. My old Sony from 2002 was the same way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I did that, the beep option just disables selection beeping, not the faceplate reminder.

-Adam
    System 1: Core i5-4670K | Z97-Pro Gamer | RX480 GTR | 4*4GB PC3-17000 | 120GB EVO 850 | 2TB Caviar Black |2TB Spinpoint F4 | Raidmax Zeta | Corsair 550VX

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My friend has this in his truck too. Beep-boop-beep-boop. His seems to only do it when the door is opened and the engine off.
    Quote Originally Posted by JFK
    The American, by nature, is optimistic. He is experimental, an inventor and a builder who builds best when called upon to build greatly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm glad my Kenwood X792 doesn't do this. It would drive me insane. The Pioneer I used to have did though... it had an option for disabling it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Like I said, there seems to be a potential fix for it, though I am leery of user reviews in general. Anyhow, here's what was said in the review:

To solve the beep, just wire a normally open relay in line with the speakers and powered by the ignition power. When you turn off the ignition the 12V memory keeper will drive the annoying beep to speakers which the relay has disconnected.
    Something about this seems off, though I can't put my finger on it. If it does work, my plan was to replace the stereo in the winter with one that also has bluetooth functionality (just wanted *something* in it for now, I was going crazy with no stereo). If this works, I'll probably go with another Sony, though I am open to suggestions (not ready to buy yet).

-Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It should have a setting for "Warning beep" or something similar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madmat View Post
    It should have a setting for "Warning beep" or something similar.
    I wish there was; it doesn't have any disable warning beep option. From other Sony model reviews, it looks like people have been told by Sony that there is no way to disable it, except for using a separate amp (that is noted in the manual). Oh well, I can live with it. Otherwise, it's a great sounding unit.

-Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'd skip Sony if it were my decision. Sometimes they do things right, many times they don't. Their car audio stuff has yet to really impress me. And what really grinds my gears is they don't let independent technicians have service info without a fight.

I have an old Sony open reel deck in the storage room. I walked into the Sony office in Winnipeg once trying to get the service manual. It was one of the worst experiences I ever had when I was just starting out in electronics repair.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I'm thinking I will avoid Sony for a bluetooth-capable stereo.

Any suggestions on a decent head under $200? I'd prefer to keep it under $150, to be honest, but I know that may not be possible.

-Adam