Thread: Sound output

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sound output

I wasn't sure really if this should go in hardware or software. If it needs to be moved, feel free.

Anyways here is my question. I just recently built a computer with a motherboard that has HDMI output, which I use for the good video quality on the widescreen HD monitor. However, I kept my speakers from my old Dell system because they always sounded fine to me (I'm not a big audio guy, long as the picture looks good). Now, even though I don't care AS much about audio, I definitely prefer these over the built-in speakers on the monitor, through the HDMI cable. It's better sound (5 speakers) and much easier to turn on, off, up, and down with a knob on the front speaker.

HOWEVER, sometime in the future I will want to plug the HDMI into the tv if I miss a tv show and have to download it or whatever, and in those cases I think I will want the HDMI output sound to the tv, because of the layout of the devices and everything. The only way I've found to switch from one audio output to the other is to insert the motherboard drivers CD and "install" the driver for the opposite method. Then to switch it back, I have to do that all over again. Is that just how it is, or am I missing something that should make this easier??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There might be a setting in your audio driver program that allows you to pick which way it outputs audio, but if not, I guess there's nothing else you can do.
    Main: i5 2500K@4.6GHz w/Zalman CNPS10X Performa, Intel DZ68BC, 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600, PNY GTX 470 + EVGA GTX 470, ASUS Xonar DX, ADATA S510 120GB, Samsung 1TB F3+1TB F1+2TB F4, Kingwin LZG 1kW, Lian-Li PC-9F, Dell U2212HM+S2209W, Win7 Professional.
    Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, i5 2410M, 8GB DDR3-1333, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1GB, Intel X25-M 80GB, Seagate Momentus 750GB, Win7 Home Premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Under "Sound" in the control panel you should be able to switch between outputs. Just select the one you want to use and hit "set default". At least that works with my 4870 and Vista x64.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmmm, there's something in the sound section of the control panel that certainly LOOKS like it should work, but...it does not. ha. I'm thinking I'll just use the ol' driver-switch in the future. Now, to determine if I should just switch HDMI cables to switch outputs, or see if there's a decent splitter-type thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I use shinji2k's method on one of my rigs swapping between headphones and speakers. Just remember that you need to restart the application that is using the audio before it will see the change. Ex. Power DVD is open to watch a movie.. If I want to toss on the headpones, I simply change my default device to the headphones and restart Power DVD. Any other app that was already open (MSN for Example) will still be using the speakers until I restart that app, or restart Windows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I probably should have clarified that I am on XP, not Vista. There is no "set default" button, although as I said there is something that looks very similar, but it did not seem to work. Maybe it would just be a case of needing to restart the program and/or the computer. I'll play around with it some more I guess. As far as headphones, when I plug them in, it automatically switches the output to those and off of the speakers, so I've never had problems there. Just with switching between the two different speakers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only computer I have with XP installed does not have a video card capable of audio over HDMI. I wish I could be of more help. Like Tazz said, you may need to either restart the program or computer for it to register.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like the idea of just restarting the program works! I coulda sworn I had tried that before, but oh well. Got a little confusing just now when I had switched to HDMI and opened something, found out it worked, then switched back to the normal method and opened something else. Two different songs coming out two different speakers.

But now when I watch things on the TV I should be good to go. Thanks everyone!