Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Video card memory question

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will be putting in the order for my case tonight when I get back to my apartment, and then next weekend will be attempt-to-build time I think. Now, I plan to use my 2 current IDE hard drives since I've had no problems with them and want to save a little money (and all my stuff, of course...)

So what I'm wondering, which I hadn't really thought about much until just doing a search on it now, is how I will be able to go about that, in regards to the Windows XP that I currently have installed on the old computer. How easily can I just pull the hard drives out and plug them into the new system, and have everything work ok? I do believe I have the original XP CD(s) that came with my Dell somewhere around here if they're needed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always prefer to do a fresh install of Windows when building a new PC. You probably won't be able to use your Dell install discs, but if you can get your hands on an OEM XP install CD, you should be able to use the serial number from the sticker on your Dell to install it on the new machine.
    Main: i5 2500K@4.6GHz w/Zalman CNPS10X Performa, Intel DZ68BC, 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600, PNY GTX 470 + EVGA GTX 470, ASUS Xonar DX, ADATA S510 120GB, Samsung 1TB F3+1TB F1+2TB F4, Kingwin LZG 1kW, Lian-Li PC-9F, Dell U2212HM+S2209W, Win7 Professional.
    Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, i5 2410M, 8GB DDR3-1333, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1GB, Intel X25-M 80GB, Seagate Momentus 750GB, Win7 Home Premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
    I always prefer to do a fresh install of Windows when building a new PC. You probably won't be able to use your Dell install discs, but if you can get your hands on an OEM XP install CD, you should be able to use the serial number from the sticker on your Dell to install it on the new machine.
    How would I go about obtaining one of these CDs? And what would likely happen if I, A.) tried just plugging in the hard drives and booting up the machine, or B.) tried using the install CD I have here?

I forgot to mention too, although I don't really see that this would make it any easier, that I don't care if my current secondary hard drive is turned into my main one or anything like that. Whatever will be the easiest to set up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voltagexx View Post
    How would I go about obtaining one of these CDs?
    You might be able to buy one from Microsoft, or you could borrow one from a friend if you know anyone who might have one. Failing that, you may have to resort to more gray-area measures .
    And what would likely happen if I, A.) tried just plugging in the hard drives and booting up the machine
    You'd probably get a BSOD on boot.
    or B.) tried using the install CD I have here?
    It would probably refuse to install since it's a non-Dell machine. You could give it a shot though.
    I forgot to mention too, although I don't really see that this would make it any easier, that I don't care if my current secondary hard drive is turned into my main one or anything like that. Whatever will be the easiest to set up.
    Doesn't make a difference either way. You just have to realize that you'll lose all your installed programs and settings, so you'll have to back stuff up and prepare to set everything up again from scratch.
    Main: i5 2500K@4.6GHz w/Zalman CNPS10X Performa, Intel DZ68BC, 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600, PNY GTX 470 + EVGA GTX 470, ASUS Xonar DX, ADATA S510 120GB, Samsung 1TB F3+1TB F1+2TB F4, Kingwin LZG 1kW, Lian-Li PC-9F, Dell U2212HM+S2209W, Win7 Professional.
    Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, i5 2410M, 8GB DDR3-1333, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1GB, Intel X25-M 80GB, Seagate Momentus 750GB, Win7 Home Premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You might be able to buy one from Microsoft, or you could borrow one from a friend if you know anyone who might have one. Failing that, you may have to resort to more gray-area measures .
    Good ol' torrents...should be done downloading in about 8 minutes. Then I just have to find where they stuck the product key on my computer. And...well, figure out how to get it on CD, seeing as my burner doesn't work. ha

Doesn't make a difference either way. You just have to realize that you'll lose all your installed programs and settings, so you'll have to back stuff up and prepare to set everything up again from scratch.
    Is this a definite, that I will lose everything?
    Now that I will have the CD, do I just throw it in the DVD to boot up the computer for the first time and it will go over what is already loaded on my C drive? I guess I've really never set up a computer from ground zero so to speak, so I'm not sure exactly what I have to do. I'm thinking what I will do is try to copy everything from my C drive onto the newer larger drive I got a couple months ago, and then just leave that hard drive out at the beginning to simplify things. Then once I've got the C drive in and working on the new computer, I'll plop the new one in and move over anything that got lost? Does that sound like it will work?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is this a definite, that I will lose everything?
    When you reinstall Windows, the best way to go about it would be to delete the current partition and make a new one, which means that you'll lose everything that is on it. However, you can back up all of your files onto your other hard drive, so you won't lose any of your data. You will have to reinstall all your programs and set up Windows to how you like it, but you won't lose any of your files as long as you back them up beforehand.
    Now that I will have the CD, do I just throw it in the DVD to boot up the computer for the first time and it will go over what is already loaded on my C drive? I guess I've really never set up a computer from ground zero so to speak, so I'm not sure exactly what I have to do.
    The installation process is fairly simple. All you have to do is put the disc in, boot from it, and follow the prompts. If you need any help, just ask.
    I'm thinking what I will do is try to copy everything from my C drive onto the newer larger drive I got a couple months ago, and then just leave that hard drive out at the beginning to simplify things. Then once I've got the C drive in and working on the new computer, I'll plop the new one in and move over anything that got lost? Does that sound like it will work?
    What I would recommend is that you just copy over your data rather than keeping all your OS files and installed programs (since those will be useless to your new installation), but you could do either one. If you copy over everything, you'll just have to sort through it all afterward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some people say they have success just going into device manager and uninstalling most of their main drivers like chipset, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by JFK
    The American, by nature, is optimistic. He is experimental, an inventor and a builder who builds best when called upon to build greatly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 370forlife View Post
    Some people say they have success just going into device manager and uninstalling most of their main drivers like chipset, etc...
    There are ways to move an existing Windows installation to a new hardware setup, but from my experience it's always better to start from scratch, especially with XP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When you reinstall Windows, the best way to go about it would be to delete the current partition and make a new one, which means that you'll lose everything that is on it. However, you can back up all of your files onto your other hard drive, so you won't lose any of your data. You will have to reinstall all your programs and set up Windows to how you like it, but you won't lose any of your files as long as you back them up beforehand.
    Probably a stupid question, but how do I best go about this? I think I've copied over all of my documents and other things that I want to keep, and got a copy of Windows XP burned onto a CD and wrote down the product key from the side of my current computer.
    I think Saturday will be the build day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just make sure that all the documents and settings you want to keep have been copied over to your secondary drive. Be sure, since you'll be wiping everything off the main drive. Once that's done, you're good to go. Just stick in the installation CD, reboot and make sure the BIOS is set to boot from the CD, and go ahead with the install process. You might want to disconnect the secondary drive to make it simpler when you're setting up the install partition. When it prompts you to pick a partition to install to, follow the instructions to delete the partition on your main drive, and then make a new one encompassing all its space. Select that partition, and Windows will begin to install. From that point on, just follow the instructions, since most of it is just configuring different settings like the time and the location.