Thread: UPS or line conditioner used?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default UPS or line conditioner used?

im wondering if you hook the power supplies up to a UPS or a line conditioner.

im sure jonny, you have seen enough psus to know some really lack in the AC filtering department.

i was thinking a good idea would be able to provide some testing when hooked up to a UPS, and some while hooked up to a "dirty" AC line.

doing it for every psu would probably be too much work since it could greatly increase the amount of tests needed to be run.

but maybe you could create an article showing the effects of using a UPS, and the effects of "dirty" AC feed.

and then how well a few popular psu's handle the "dirty" AC. should be interesting to see how the effecieny, volt reg, and ripple is affected by "dirty" AC on some psu's.=

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

The PSU's are hooked up to a Weibo PF1211 AC power analyzer. The power to this goes through a Dai Yi Shing 0~260VAC variac that gets it's power from a 2000VA Powercom AVR.

Not room and no time for "dirty" AC input, although I do intend to do a round-up of cheapy PSU's where I will use the variac to drop input voltage to around 90VAC to see if the PSU blows up, trips, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not to mention jG lives in the Sunshine state
    MSI P67A-GD65
    i72600K@4.8
    Corsair H70
    4x4Gb GSkill Ripjaws 16Gb 1600
    MSI 670 GTX PE/OC
    2x750Gb Seagate Barracuda's RAID 0
    Zalman ZM-MFC1
    Lite-On Dvd burner
    SB X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
    Silverstone Zeus ST85ZF
    Coolermaster HAF-932
    "Experience is the benchmark of maturity"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Not room and no time for "dirty" AC input, although I do intend to do a round-up of cheapy PSU's where I will use the variac to drop input voltage to around 90VAC to see if the PSU blows up, trips, etc.
    Also would be interesting to see how common "modified sinewave" (read: modified squarewave) UPS affects.
    Theoretically switching power supply shouldn't much care about input waveform but I suspect it might be different at least with El Cheapos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EsaT View Post
    Also would be interesting to see how common "modified sinewave" (read: modified squarewave) UPS affects.

Theoretically switching power supply shouldn't much care about input waveform but I suspect it might be different at least with El Cheapos.
    I can tell you there is a noticeable difference in the output of sound from the DC motors on my fish tanks when they are running off of the modified sinewave UPS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    I can tell you there is a noticeable difference in the output of sound from the DC motors on my fish tanks when they are running off of the modified sinewave UPS.
    I assume fish tanks use linear transformers which are sensitive to input waveform.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Non PFC power supply is one of the least pickiest electrical appliance. Active PFC can get picky with quasi-square wave.

Anything with induction motor won't run too well on non-sinewave either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What kind of motors? We tried running those "one piece spinning magnet" motors in power heads with mixed results. Some just clatter like crazy. If you have a sump below the tank better make sure that return line has a GOOD check valve in it if it goes more than a few inches below the water line. (or ample sump capacity)

Nothing worse than a power strip soaked in salt water popping and spewing pink flames when the juice does come back.