View Poll Results: Shall I keep doing that low load efficiency test?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 88.89%
  • No

3 11.11%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Corsair HX850 Review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post
    Utube is blocked here :<
    It's part of the Silent Running lyrics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
    Shall I keep doing that low load efficiency test?
    First, another excellent review, OW!

Second, I'd honestly say about the low load efficiency testing completely depends upon the power supply chosen.

Given that almost without exception, someone who choses an 850W power supply isn't going to be drawing 30W at idle, I'd think it's rather a waste of time for high power supplies. My rig isn't what I'd call a powerhouse or heavy power drawing rig, but it never draws under 200W, so why would I even care about efficiency at 30W/50W or such?

On the other hand, low power units, like 350W or thereabouts, could and would be the more likely units that would be used in a low power system, so then a low load efficiency test would be much more relevant.

Up to you, but I think your time would be better served with that sort of test by biasing it toward the units that would be the most likely to be used in those situations. Who'd buy a Corsair 1000HX and then use it in a system that has a max load of 150W?

Just sayin'.........
    A lot of people ask me if I were shipwrecked and could only have one book, what would it be? I always say 'How to Build a Boat.'
    - Stephen Wright

"Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit."
    - Brooks Atkinson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I just don't know the relationship between the lyrics and the power supply, especially when it's in the summary of the review.
    It's been a hard day's night and I've been working like a dog.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

There is no relationship. Often when I can't find a mediocre point to complain about, I'll put something off topic in there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The random babble he puts in the reviews makes them very funny and different, part of the reason I always read the reviews here on jonnyguru.
    Quote Originally Posted by JFK
    The American, by nature, is optimistic. He is experimental, an inventor and a builder who builds best when called upon to build greatly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 370forlife View Post
    The random babble he puts in the reviews makes them very funny and different
    Less tedious to write, anyway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking

I like the low load efficiency test. The 5% load may be a bit extreme, but that makes it a worst case result, so it's OK with me. But perhaps others would prefer a 10% load test?

It's good to see some serious competition for the Antec SG and CP series - the competition should make top quality power supplies more affordable, and hopefully encourage other brands/manufactures to increase their quality as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As a consumer speaking - I like the idea of showing efficiency at 10% load. I agree that 5% is a bit extreme.

I like the idea of showing the real efficiency curves though - from 10% to 100%. It would also be nice to show real-time power draw of system components, though. So people would stop assuming that their system draws 50W at idle and 1000W at load. One of the first things I was surprised by, a few years ago, was how the difference between idle and load on high-end desktop systems wasn't as drastic as I assumed it would be.

It's big, sure, sometimes double, but it wasn't like 110W idle and 500W load. A system that drew 500W load was always almost half of that at idle.

But again, it's been a couple years since I did this testing and I suppose now with Hybrid SLI and other low-power consumption things it might make more difference now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With things like Speed Step with the CPUs and similar schemes in the video cards the difference between idle and load can be over 3:1. HT4U did direct power measurements on 20 current video cards and some of the high end cards have > 1:4 idle/load ratio.

I know with my HTPC (E5200 with a OC to 3.2GHz & Speed Step enabled, and a 4670 video card) I draw from the wall 60w @idle, 85w watching 1080p TV via a tuner card and 165w running Furmark and Orthos concurrently. With my 80+, 400w PS it's not even getting to 20% load watching TV (most common task).
    Old System: Asus P5K Pro, Q9550 @ 3.6 Ghz
    4 Gig G.Skil F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B
    LanKool K7 case
    SAPPHIRE HD 4670
    1TB Samsung Gig drive
    Rosewill Capstone-450-M R PSU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Notice that the picture of the unit on the back of the box, is not sleaved all the way into the housing....obviously Corsair must have seen the feedback on the web and gone back to CWT and required them to sleave all the way into the housing.

I guess saying the capacitors are "solid-state" is better than saying they are "Solid Snake".
    "There is no way you can be Harvard Monday through Friday, and try to be Alabama on Saturday" -Art Guepe former University of Virginia head football coach