Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How measure ripple/noise of psu

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crmaris View Post
    Sorry to dig up such an old thread but I was wondering if a resistor (e.g. 1K) is needed before the capacitors to lower the Amps or the oscilloscope can cope with high Amps (with psu in full load)?
    You must not add a resistor if you want to make an accurate measurement. 1 K and 10 μF give a corner frequency of 16 Hz, so everything above that will be severely attenuated.

The current would only matter if it were going through the scope (and even 1 amp would blow it up very reliably); generally oscilloscopes have 1 MΩ input impedance, so it'll draw 12 μA from the 12 V line.

What makes you imagine that load current not going through the oscilloscope would cause it the slightest difficulty?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Thanks very much for the answer. I have understand it now. Indeed the current doesn't flow through the Scope when you measure ripple. However another question is raised now; if Ι would like to add a switch before the capacitors, in order to select the rail I want to monitor (e.g. 5V, 3.3V, 12V) what type of switch should I use, one that could handle the full Amps( e.g. 117A for 12V)?

I am little confused lately because of reading overdose. You see I am in the process of building my own Load Tester and I am trying to clear up some things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crmaris View Post
    Thanks very much for the answer. I have understand it now. Indeed the current doesn't flow through the Scope when you measure ripple. However another question is raised now; if Ι would like to add a switch before the capacitors, in order to select the rail I want to monitor (e.g. 5V, 3.3V, 12V) what type of switch should I use, one that could handle the full Amps (e.g. 117A for 12V)?
    Again, why would the switch care about current that wasn't passing through it? Do you need special extra-rugged faucets in houses near the Mississippi river?

You will have a very small surge as the capacitors charge, but that doesn't require much of a switch. And is a function of the capacitors, not the power supply.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cypherpunks View Post
    Again, why would the switch care about current that wasn't passing through it? Do you need special extra-rugged faucets in houses near the Mississippi river?

You will have a very small surge as the capacitors charge, but that doesn't require much of a switch. And is a function of the capacitors, not the power supply.
    In the attached scheme I have added two switches before the capacitors to switch between the monitoring rails; so current will not pass through the switches, it will follow the resistors path?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A bit of necro post, but I have the question:

What are the consequences of not applying those two caps in parallel with load ie. what other waveforms may appear on the scope? I just got me the Fluke 97 scopemeter, and for starters, I wanted to check out the ripple on my PC's outputs. Probe grounded to the case, no parallel caps. As a result, on top of the (most likely) ripple waveform I see some major aperiodic spikes on +5V and +12V, much like those in oc3d's Cougar review. Is it just the interference form the computer, like OKW said?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

not happy with my transient load test again so maybe i can do some good here lol...yeah the caps are going to filter out a lot of the noise spikes there although there's always going to be a lot of noise on the PC...most of it seems to come from the fan motors near as I can tell. Anyway here's a couple of shots to compare:

This is on the load tester...same signal points...probe with caps on Ch 1 and Ch 2 is just a probe with the little spring clip and the ground lead (AKA interference antennae).

same setup again except with the 20mhz bandwidth limit set on Ch 2 which cuts down on a lot of the noise but still some little tails there and the main difference I guess is that the trace of the ripple waveform has more detail with the caps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Once again, major thanks. Glad I joined here.

Wonder why icon highlighting new posts didn't appear since my last one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Holy thread batman revival time!
    Just a small question on this theme: what sort of setup for the capacitors do you folks use?
    I have always neglected to do it: but when testing to rebuild this Seasonic PSU discussed here I found out the hard way that it really matters!
    Not satisfied with the result after recapping it with LOW esr caps (actually motherboard grade) I bought some general purpose caps like the originals seems to be.
    But the result was worse, but then I put on a 10µF electrolytic cap and a 100nF film cap and most of the ripple I thought was there was gone, meaning it was mostly HF noise...
    But holding those caps + probes and cables in close proximity made me feel there might be a prettier solution to this
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
    You need an oscilloscope to measure ripple and noise.
    How well would the following work?

http://www.ti.com/lit/an/snoa690/snoa690.pdf
    (good to 500 kHz)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    How well would the following work?

http://www.ti.com/lit/an/snoa690/snoa690.pdf
    (good to 500 kHz)
    No, you need 20MHz.