Thread: Antec EA500D Load Test

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Antec EA500D Load Test

well I got the idea a couple of weeks ago to build a low budget resistive load tester with some wire wounds and some erm they're like miniature grid resistors...oh and built a hot box too. Here's the results I got with the first run...probably should have used a PSU that's been done before but I wanted to do this one for that very reason but anyway tell me what you think...about the test or the PSU or both...

I messed up some things that I better explain...lessee I wanted to bump the -12V up to.8A in test 4 but that section had a loose connection and I didn't want to fiddle with it...so that would have been another 5W total that I was shooting for. The hot box didn't go so well...wanted the same loads as the cold test there but lessee I messed up the 3.3V in test 1 and then I couldn't get what I wanted on the 5V in test 2 because of uhh well I need to rethink how I heat the hot box...lost some temp there when I wanted it to increase. hmmm oh the ND's are No Data because of the problem with that same section. A little sticky velcro pad holding the exhaust temp sensor in place couldn't take the heat and I didn't notice it so no exhaust data sorry. That's about it...no load consumption was 5W and standby with 5V/2.5A was 22W, 59.9 PF and 57% efficiency.

EDIT: fixed some stuff on the tables I had wrong (the 3.3V rail wasn't out of spec...don't ask)...forgot to mention that it would take 31A on the EPS connector but not 32A...effectively a single rail design. The increase on the 12V between 300W and 400W coincides with the increase on the 5V rail...keep the 5V rail under 6A and the 12V stays around 11.8V...can't think of anything else worth mentioning
    Last edited by Makalu; 05-04-2009 at 04:45 AM. Reason: messed up the link to the tables

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Are you planning to post your review on some site... or maybe here?
    It's been a hard day's night and I've been working like a dog.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

oops guess I didn't get the chart linked...no review proper...just am building this contraption and used the Antec as a guinea pig

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Appreciated the effort mate, nice lil -though still somewhat messed up- review.

So, this is a group regulated unit, right ? Considering the load test result of the 12v and 5v rails. Any opinion regarding the performace & quality against the old Seasonic built Earthwatts ?
    Intel C2D E8400 @4.2 GHz 495x8.5
    DFI LanParty LT X38-T2R
    DIY Watercooling
    Adata Vitesta Extreme PC6400 4 GB kit *2 @DDR2 990 5-5-5-15
    HIS HD 4870 512 MB @830-1080
    WDC 3200AAKS *2 (RAID 0) + WDC 5000AACS
    DVDRW BenQ DW2000 + DVDRW LG GH20NS10
    Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Creative Inspire T6600 6.1
    Silverstone Olympia 750w
    TT Kandalf (original)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah you're right I should have waited and done it right first before posting data...it'll be awhile before I could do it again though since this "prototype" needs some changes before I can do it rignt

anyway yes it's group regulated...I think it's hard to compare the load regulation performance between the Delta and the Seasonic because these group regulated designs react so differently to different load distributions and I don't know if there's any load tests of the Seasonic out there with loads similar to mine. On it's own merit I think the Delta shows very good regulation at what I feel are somewhat close to real system loads (but I'm open to different opinions). Maybe the 3.3V and 5V at 5A instead 4A at the lower loads...the 8.5A and 8A is probably higher than most systems at 400W...maybe not...I think it would be an SLI or Crossfire setup only that would draw that much in a typical system configuration...and I think it'd be silly to run this PSU at 400W so what the heck. The 12V was maxed per the rating at 34A so you have to have those 8A loads on the minor rails to get it to near full 500W rating. That's a bit of a 12V heavy crossload still though too. I put a load of 12V/44.5A 5V/5A and 3.3V/5A on it btw...I think that's around 580W output...just for less than a minute mind you as I do have plans for this PSU. The 12V dropped to 11.66V which isn't too awful bad and I didn't bother to check the other rail voltages. It's had a lot of different crossloads on it while I was wiring the loads together and checking and double checking my measurements and it never complained really...no noises or buzzing...and hey the short circuit protection worked...many times lol

So lessee what else can I say about it...the cabling is exactly the same as the Seasonic version...the fan is the same. It's not going to win any silence awards...it's an 80mm Adda high speed and probably not objectionable to most people when it's kept under 6-7V. I have a complete fan curve from 100-500W at ~25C ambient...it's just a linear progression relative to the secondary heatsink temp other than where I let it equalize at each load...the controller makes no attempt to keep it low speed and no sudden steps up either.

Efficiency...well you can compare the two 80plus reports done in their highly controlled ±5C thermal chamber...what's up with that? This was great efficiency when it came out but the design is starting to look bad now (to those who care about a few percentage points efficiency). Ah well I like the name Dirtwatts better...

The quality is I think overall comparable (my pics here http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/show...9&postcount=26)

The Seasonic has a better brand of primary cap but there's only one and it's small and 85C versus 105C...can't read the capacitance on the Delta but I think the two is almost certainly larger than the Seasonics. So I dunno...a little more reserve capacity on the Delta. Seasonic has OST secondaries which are hard to feel very good about still but the Delta caps are mediocre too...I guess either is a fine fine replacement for the SmartPower's in the Antec stable!

I think if I could go thru the two bit by bit there'd be some small advantages to the Seasonic in certain areas and some to the Delta in other areas but overall comparable quality...no bait and switch here on Antec's part IMO...just to clear up any ugly rumors

hmm I think they are way over priced...think they are fetching around $80US retail and you can jump up about two tiers in quality and 100+ watts for another ten or twenty dollars is all. The OEM price is fair...around $40. That's enough...more than I planned to say about it...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thx for further clarification and information, those are interesting read for me. I will expect other review from you, especially for those smaller rated units that most big sites are rather not too interested to have them reviewed, for their low hit rates apparently. Regards.
    Intel C2D E8400 @4.2 GHz 495x8.5
    DFI LanParty LT X38-T2R
    DIY Watercooling
    Adata Vitesta Extreme PC6400 4 GB kit *2 @DDR2 990 5-5-5-15
    HIS HD 4870 512 MB @830-1080
    WDC 3200AAKS *2 (RAID 0) + WDC 5000AACS
    DVDRW BenQ DW2000 + DVDRW LG GH20NS10
    Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Creative Inspire T6600 6.1
    Silverstone Olympia 750w
    TT Kandalf (original)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Makalu View Post
    hmm I think they are way over priced...think they are fetching around $80US retail and you can jump up about two tiers in quality and 100+ watts for another ten or twenty dollars is all. The OEM price is fair...around $40. That's enough...more than I planned to say about it...
    The silly thing about that is that the EA650 jumps from $70-$100 very often. I rarely see the EA500 drop below $70. Not to mention the standar prices seem to be only $10 in difference. I'll take an indy regulated 120mmm fan with 132W more of 12V output for $10 more thank you.
    "There is no way you can be Harvard Monday through Friday, and try to be Alabama on Saturday" -Art Guepe former University of Virginia head football coach

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spursindonesia View Post
    Thx for further clarification and information, those are interesting read for me. I will expect other review from you, especially for those smaller rated units that most big sites are rather not too interested to have them reviewed, for their low hit rates apparently. Regards.
    well smaller units are about all I can afford to buy to test so that'll work out pretty good I know you aren't saying this but I should clarify that the reason the EA500D hasn't been reviewed is because Antec hasn't sent out review samples and that's probably just because they had other new models they wanted to promote at the time.

Probably the only one I have right now that would draw much interest is an A-Power "430W" that deserves to die. The others probably not...got two Channel PSH's I could do lol...Toughpower 700 and Gigabyte Odin 550. I have an Enhance ENP-5150GH that probably performs pretty much like it's Silverstone Element counterpart. Cooler Master Real Power 450W with the little front case watt meter and an Antec NeoHE 380 and an Ultra X-Finity 600 and that's about it...anyway subject to change later so I'll see what I can come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by HOOfan_1 View Post
    The silly thing about that is that the EA650 jumps from $70-$100 very often. I rarely see the EA500 drop below $70. Not to mention the standar prices seem to be only $10 in difference. I'll take an indy regulated 120mmm fan with 132W more of 12V output for $10 more thank you.
    yeah I hear ya...better caps in the EA650 too...I wonder if the people who decide these things even realize the difference is more than 150W...or even care