Thread: Testing out PSU with multimeter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Testing out PSU with multimeter

I recently asked a question of software reading inaccuracy and decided to test out the PSU with multimeter(thanks everyone giving me knowlege of this).
    I have a question. On the process of testing out my PSU I will be using molex since its easier to use than other connectors, I'm wondering since my PSU is multirailed (Antec Sig 850) would I be testing the whole 12v 5v and 3.3v from the single molex connector?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On most PSU's all +12V rails start life as a single +12V rail & then the +12V rail is split only for the purpose of Over Current Protection (OCP). To test each split of the +12V rail, you will need to check the 24-pin ATX, the 8-pin EPS & the 6-pin on each PCI-E rail.

However unless you suspect something is wrong, just looking at the 24-pin ATX is usually sufficient.
    Yes. One of the last commincations I had with Dave Hammock before he disappeared from the web was how a major brand single +12V rail PSU wasn't shutting down when shorted. We were literally arc welding with the PSU. Hopefully Dave's absense isn't due to the fact that he got over zealous with the welding.
    JonnyGURU Posted 4-1-08

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mistargill View Post
    I recently asked a question of software reading inaccuracy and decided to test out the PSU with multimeter(thanks everyone giving me knowlege of this).
    I have a question. On the process of testing out my PSU I will be using molex since its easier to use than other connectors, I'm wondering since my PSU is multirailed (Antec Sig 850) would I be testing the whole 12v 5v and 3.3v from the single molex connector?
    4pin Molex connectors don't have a 3.3V lead Take the 3.3V from the ATX connector.
    "There is no way you can be Harvard Monday through Friday, and try to be Alabama on Saturday" -Art Guepe former University of Virginia head football coach

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

did my test. used OCCT to load test
    12v, idle11.9xload 12.0x
    5v, idle 5.05 load 5.00
    3.3v v, idle3.30 load 3.3x

seems great right?
    While I was stress testing, well it happens whether or not I use multimeter. My house light started dim and normal dim and normal dim and normal..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mistargill View Post
    did my test. used OCCT to load test
    12v, idle11.9xload 12.0x
    5v, idle 5.05 load 5.00
    3.3v v, idle3.30 load 3.3x

seems great right?
    While I was stress testing, well it happens whether or not I use multimeter. My house light started dim and normal dim and normal dim and normal..
    Get an APC UPS with AVR or your house wiring may cost you a PSU or worse.
    Yes. One of the last commincations I had with Dave Hammock before he disappeared from the web was how a major brand single +12V rail PSU wasn't shutting down when shorted. We were literally arc welding with the PSU. Hopefully Dave's absense isn't due to the fact that he got over zealous with the welding.
    JonnyGURU Posted 4-1-08

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah. i already postes a thread regarding my house electricity problem. this house is not in my control... I tried to do everything i could to tell my parents to fix it up. They seem o not care cuz they think they will be moving soon...