Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I think my house has bad electricity?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kimandsally View Post
    An electrician can be quite expensive but if you want to go the exorcist route first they're normally free.
    LOL...this is classic =)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok. I had an electrician come in today, He says the wiring is fine but the breaker in the basement and the plug it self is quite old. The breaker happens to be too old and he told me that it might not even be available for sale. he told me he would try to find it if not. we will have to replace the whole box.
    So... right now I gotta use less electricity and hope the house doesnt get... too warm.. if you know what I mean..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mistargill View Post
    Ok. I had an electrician come in today, He says the wiring is fine but the breaker in the basement and the plug it self is quite old. The breaker happens to be too old and he told me that it might not even be available for sale. he told me he would try to find it if not. we will have to replace the whole box.
    So... right now I gotta use less electricity and hope the house doesn't get... too warm.. if you know what I mean..
    Well, as other said, first replace the outlet. That's a doddle. If you can't find which breaker it is, plugging in a dead short is a commonly used short-cut. (Heck, I have been known to replace them hot with a plastic handled screwdriver and pair of needle-nose pliers.)

Replacing the whole panel is a PITA, but not that hard. So you can save a lot of electrician's bills doing it yourself. Pull the cover plate off of the old panel so you can see the wiring and make a list of what you need. From what the electrician is saying, you'll need to replace all the breakers. Assemble all the obvious electrical parts, then add flashlights, screws to mount the box on the wall, masking tape and a sharpie for labeling circuits. Make sure the old and new boxes have the neutral busbar in about the same place to the wires are guaranteed to reach.

Then cut off the main breaker, go outside to the electrical meter, cut the tag off (no, the power company doesn't get mad), take the thin metal ring off from around the base, and firmly pull the meter straight out. That's how you REALLY cut off power to a house.

Go back inside, double-check that the main power is off, and start labelling wires. You only need to label the hot sides; the order of the neutrals doesn't matter.

Then start unscrewing wires, loosening strain reliefs, and pulling the wires out of the old panel. Leave the strain reliefs on the wires so they can be re-used with the new panel.

Once you have it detached, remove the old panel from the wall and reverse the procedure with the new panel. At the end, turn off the main breaker, plug the meter back in, and then turn on the new panel. Assuming everything works, put the retaining ring back on the meter.

The basic time limit is how long it takes the fridge to melt.