Thread: What's a good equivalent to an Antec Signature 850?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What's a good equivalent to an Antec Signature 850?

Had a brand new Antech Sig 850 go belly up after using it for about 2 hours today. Was trying to clear my WC'ing loop in my system.

System setup is: Q6600 @ 3.6GHz @ 1.35V, 4 x 2GB Mushkin DDR2-8000 RAM, 2 WD 500GB hd's, Asus HD4870 video card, 2 optical drives.....

WC'ing includes DDC2 pump, D-Tek v.2 cpu block, EK S-Max NB block, pair of rads---TFC 240 and TC 120.1.

PS was running quite nicely, turned it off then restarted the computer....and a minute later my APC 900VA UPS started screaming overload, computer shut off....dead.

Nothing was wet...no leaks anywhere. No bare wires, no shorts.....

Hooked up my "old" Corsair HX620 to the system and miraculously the computer lights right up and starts up like nothing ever happened.

Damn Antec.......

So, what'd be a decent choice to replace this expensive piece of dog dropping......have essentially, now, $300 credit at MicroCenter for this dead ps.
    A lot of people ask me if I were shipwrecked and could only have one book, what would it be? I always say 'How to Build a Boat.'
    - Stephen Wright

"Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit."
    - Brooks Atkinson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That should be more than enough to get an HX1000....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by C'DaleRider View Post
    So, what'd be a decent choice to replace this expensive piece of dog dropping......have essentially, now, $300 credit at MicroCenter for this dead ps.
    Well, considering I took my review sample apart and it's been running 24/7 ever since, I'd just replace the Antec.

Seriously, every company and OEM has bad units. It happens. Even to Zippy, and they're arguably the best built on the planet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Of course, the biggest bummer of it all is it took over an hour wiring the computer up. Had worked very hard to hide all my wiring and it's going to be a total bitch to unwire it....requires removing the motherboard.....and then there's teh 3 1/2 hour drive to Atlanta to replace it.

Damnitall!!!
    A lot of people ask me if I were shipwrecked and could only have one book, what would it be? I always say 'How to Build a Boat.'
    - Stephen Wright

"Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit."
    - Brooks Atkinson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

in the future, let this be a lesson to make sure it all works before making it all look pretty.
    Rig 1: Phenom II X2 550-Asus M5A78L-MLX--2x4 Patriot DDR3 1333--Asus Formula HD4770--Enermax Triathlor 450--LG Flatron W2252TQ--Win 10 x64
    Rig 2: Core i3 6300--Asrock Z170M Extreme4--2x8 Adata DDR4 2400--EVGA GTX 750Ti--Corsair CX500M--Corsair Hydro H55--Windows 7 x64

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by C'DaleRider View Post
    and then there's teh 3 1/2 hour drive to Atlanta to replace it.
    Could be worse. I bought a 24" LCD on December 24th, it came with stuck pixels, and I had to wait another two weeks to get the dead pixel guarantee honored and a new monitor shipped out. The replacement finally got here a few hours ago. No dead/stuck pixels this time

But yeah... it took almost a month from the time I paid for it to actually get a good one in my hands. That was a hard wait.