Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSU for dual sli/crossfire i7 system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question PSU for dual sli/crossfire i7 system

I am reading through this site and having second thoughts on the former PSUs I was looking at. Maybe someone on here could recommend some PSUs that would work. I bought the Lian Li Tyr X-500 case and need the PSU to fit it with the side panel on. The Thermaltake pictured seems to fit appropriately.

I have not purchased the atx x58 board yet, but will purchase the i7 920 or 940. My graphics will be two gtx 280/285 or 4870x2 cards with a third to be purchased when/if I am feeling spendy. I will be running one Intel x25 ssd and one 1.0/1.5 tb secondary drive and likely one blu ray drive.

After doing some reading here, I am not sure what will work- especially with my size requirements (smallish). Please advise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Red face

I am having a bit of trouble understanding which power outputs I need on the supply to power the components I listed. Should I reformat the question to make it easier to list?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

3 GTX 285 or 3 HD4870X2....850W+ for sure 1000W would be preferable...no way 700W would be advisable.

I don't know how small the Lian-Li is though...but there are some small form factor 1000W out there....OCZ EliteXstream for 1. OCZ ProXstream if you can still find those.
    "There is no way you can be Harvard Monday through Friday, and try to be Alabama on Saturday" -Art Guepe former University of Virginia head football coach

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thermaltake Toughpower dimensions:

6.3 x 5.9 x 3.3 inch (L)x(W)x(H)
    160 x 150 x 85 mm (L)x(W)x(H)

OCZ EliteXStreme would likely fit:

150 x 160 x 86mm (W x L x H)

But I don't feel good about their comment on their site about that card:

"OCZ does not recommend the use of our OCZ1000EXS with 2 x Overclocked GTX280 graphics cards. The OCZ1000EXS power supply is certified by NVIDIA to power Two GeForce GTX280 GPUs but the significant dynamic loading of two overclocked GTX280s may cause operational issues and is not recommended. "

OCZ ProXStream:

Dimensions: 150 x 140 x 86mm

Would fit. Should I trust the OCZ with that waiver on their page?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't see where any flavor of GTX 280 SLi or 285 SLi or even GTX 295 SLi would give a decent 1000W unit like the OCZ any problems....probably just a precautionary tactic by OCZ.
    "There is no way you can be Harvard Monday through Friday, and try to be Alabama on Saturday" -Art Guepe former University of Virginia head football coach

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is there anyone else with a similar form factor that might be a little heavier duty? I would hate to get close to maxxing the supply out. That is, unless you think that 1000w would have sufficient margin to run semi-efficiently.

Also, the Silverstone DA1000 and the Silverstone ST1200 would fit. Is this better or worse than OCZ?

It also looks in this picture like there may be enough room to accomodate a slightly longer supply. There might be enough room to use the higher end Thermaltake supplies. If this were the case, would that be better?
    Last edited by emason17; 01-21-2009 at 12:24 PM. Reason: new infos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emason17 View Post
    Is there anyone else with a similar form factor that might be a little heavier duty? I would hate to get close to maxxing the supply out. That is, unless you think that 1000w would have sufficient margin to run semi-efficiently.

Also, the Silverstone DA1000 and the Silverstone ST1200 would fit. Is this better or worse than OCZ?

It also looks in this picture like there may be enough room to accomodate a slightly longer supply. There might be enough room to use the higher end Thermaltake supplies. If this were the case, would that be better?
    The Silverstone Decathalon is built by the same company (Impervio) that builds the OCZ EliteXstream....from the reviews I have read, the OCZ is a little better in quality. I have no idea why OCZ would say not to run dual overclocked GTX 280s...the unit is easily capable of ouputting 1000W from the reviews I have read. Zap has stated that he was successful getting 3 GTX 280s to run on a BFG ES 800 (although not with 100% reliablity). 2 GTX 280 or 285 whether overclocked or not should be no problem.

I'm certainly no expert though.

also note that the COZ ProXstream and EliteXstream don't have all of the necessary PCI-E connectors for triple SLi with GTX 280 or 285...you would have to use molex to PCI-E adapters for that. GTX 285 has 2 (6pin PCI-E ports) GTX 280 as a 6pin PCI-e port and an 8 pin PCi-E port

EliteXstream has 4 6+2Pin PCI-E connectors
    ProXstream has 4 6 Pin only PCI-E connectors

likely to get enough connectors for TRI-SLI you will have to go for one of the longer PSUs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would likely only have 2 in sli because I am running one 28" (sli) and one 19" (secondary).

I appreciate your help a lot in this matter. I am way less experienced on this front than almost everyone on this board.

My case can accomodate a slightly longer psu. Is the Enermax Revolution 85+ (1050) a better choice? - :UPDATE: EARLIEST AVAILABLITY IN MAY

Link can be found here:

http://www.enermaxusa.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=177

Thermaltake solution:

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Produc...C=1245&ID=1512
    Last edited by emason17; 01-21-2009 at 02:11 PM. Reason: additions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emason17 View Post
    My case can accomodate a slightly longer psu. Is the Enermax Revolution 85+ (1050) a better choice? - :UPDATE: EARLIEST AVAILABLITY IN MAY

Link can be found here:

http://www.enermaxusa.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=177

Thermaltake solution:

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Produc...C=1245&ID=1512
    If you are in the US....the Enermax Revolutions are for sale now....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817194039

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, I assume, that is your recommendation?