Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever wonder where I've been?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Cool. Yeah, from the looks of it, Xmech and Xmax are high enough on that bad boy you'll be getting the old machine gun tinsel leads when you crank it. Plus, it just looks cleaner with the tinsels all buttoned down.

My Visonik is like that, even though that poor bugger only has 17mm of throw one way. I guess I'm lucky though - I got that sub from a clearance center for $33, and it wasn't the cheapest Visonik made at the time. You don't want to know what the really cheap ones that day looked like. They also had several models above mine but I didn't want to waste money. $33 was about right for the brand I figured

Is there a pole vent on the magnet? Hard to tell if it's there and blocked off or if that's just some kind of funky looking grille.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nope, no vent on the pole. All the venting is at the top of basket. The gap's big enough that it'll cool pretty well without it. Some camps claim bottom venting is best while others claim top venting is best. From a SQ standpoint the top only is better but a huge pole vent is okay too. The pole vent on my RE SE12 is around 2" in diameter. It's humongous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Cool. The Visonik has both vents. Not sure why they bothered, other than to make it look better than it is. Although, the V217SX hasn't been able to make it squeal yet, so who knows. Maybe it really can handle 600W (yeah right).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

600W music, quite possibly. 600W tone continuous, not for more than a few seconds.

Originally my DMX was rated for 1500W continuous with 6000W burps. Now it's designed to take around 800-1000W continuous. It'll never get burped (shudders). I will put around 850-900W to it though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madmat View Post
    600W music, quite possibly. 600W tone continuous, not for more than a few seconds.
    That's possible. The V217SX hasn't quite gotten it to XMax because the head unit can't give it the volume to do so, but the two of them can shake the car when I push them as far as the head unit allows. The amp can probably manage 400W under the right conditions.

I can get enough volume to push the sub's limits by cranking the bass boost on the amp, but then it sounds like crap. Actually, it's not a half bad amp considering it's class AB and full of Korean parts.

Can't wait to get rid of that JVC. The tuner sucks on it too... I've had Chrysler factory head units with better FM reception.

Fun fact - I ran the amp and sub on the home theater for one night off the Apevia Warlock 900W. That was the last night that PSU worked. Didn't sound too bad though... I might run the Visonik as a computer sub when it comes out of the Imperial. On a decent plate amp, of course

Of course, that'll be after I find someone willing to lend me a table saw. I did the box for the Visonik with a jigsaw... you can imagine how that turned out. I want to go a bit smaller for the IXL - the Visonik is in 1.5 cubic feet, which is taking up too much space.

Doggone it, now you got me all obsessed about car audio again. Now I can't decide between a new monitor for the computer, new head unit, or go get that IXL already. Mach 5 is based in Winnipeg - almost no shipping wait for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's another one up there isn't there? I'll have to ask around but I swore that I read of another car audio MFG up that way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Creative Sound Solutions? I was looking at their Subduction 12" for a while. In fact, I built the box for the Visonik with that one in mind. But the IXL has better specs for only $40 more.

http://www.creativesound.ca/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just so you know, I've got an RE SE12 I'm looking to get rid of.

By the by, if you're going to build a box use void free cabinet grade plywood with a minimum of 9 laminations for a 3/4" piece. The cabinet grade stuff is glued under much greater pressure and uses birch rather than pine which isn't as dense as birch. The box I'm using is made out of 13 lam maple and mahogany 11/16" plywood. Void free of course. The box is so strong I can jump up and down on it, throw it off my roof and not faze it. It's expensive as hell but it'll never delaminate, split or start making noise. If you can beg, borrow or steal some time with a tablesaw it's far easier than using a normal circular saw. Radial arm saws are my weapon of preference but the only one I have access to is 700 miles away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ah, tempt me why don't you

I'll think about it. It's not quite as capable as the IXL IIRC, so it would have to be a bit on the cheaper side for me to consider. Came across this vid for the IXL 15" yesterday. It makes me drool somewhat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb94UdTxNaI

Looking at a Cadence amp good for 750W at 1 ohm if I get one. Considering using the V217SX in stereo to power each coil until then... it can do 250W x2 at 2 ohms that way. I'll probably talk myself out of that though and leave the V126S4 in the car until I have a new amp. And then maybe later on next year I'll get myself to retire the Chrysler/Infinity EMIT enabled 5.25's and go with Boston components.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jump to 1:38 and tell me the SE12 isn't as capable as the IXL, I dare you.

Also : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZkbb...eature=related