Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever wonder where I've been?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anyone ever wonder where I've been?

No, I'm not dead, I pretended to be banned for a day but I was just playing. Lately I've been occupying my time with my car stereo. I fell back into it kind of by accident and the old sickness returned. Car audio is what got me into computers in the first place, I bought a PC for designing speaker boxes and started fiddling with it to make it faster, play games and have better audio and it degenerated from there. I became all "meh" about car audio and it fell by the wayside.

Now that I've got a decent car I decided to upgrade the sound system, I started with a deck I found in the trunk of the car, abandoned by the former owner, and decided the dry-rotted deck speakers had to go. Then I decided the old CD deck wasn't enough so I bought a Pioneer with USB input. Okay, I got a decent head but still no bass, I need a sub. Scan CL, find a used P2 and Punch 201s amp and pop it in the trunk, replace the door speakers and I'm stylin'. Well, for a minute. I then buy a 750W mono amp, better sub and retune the box to 28hz. It was nice but the amp had issues so I bought a sub that shouldn't stress the amp (the 2nd sub was dual 2 ohm coils) by running at a higher ohm load. Still no love. In the interim I bought a 2 x 100W RF amp for the doors, Polk MOMO separates for the doors as well and kept the 201S (50W x 2) for the rear deck and eventually replaced the faulty 750W amp with a Kicker 750.1 750W mono amp.

Now, I'm waiting for a custom 15" to arrive today which I'm going to mount infinite baffle behind my rear seat. The thing is, it's a dual 2 ohm sub so I can either try running my Kicker at 1 ohm (not rated for it), 4 ohms which will cut my power down to ~400W or sell it and my newish RE SE 12" as a package and buy yet another sub amp that's stable at 1 ohm and pushing around 1000W.

So, yeah, I'm still alive, well, fat and sassy but I'm occupying my time in other ways. Hope y'all are doing good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Which Pioneer? I have my eye on a DEH-P600UB myself. If I can ever get the cash together to buy it.

I videoed my own subwoofer in action the other day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kIFC-uUkM0

Nothing special, cost me less than $100. 300W Visonik V126S4 powered by an "800w" Visonik V217SX actually good for 350W.

These guys are going to be providing the next subwoofer, IXL series, probably another 12": http://www.mach5audio.com/zen/index.php

Will likely be in the same situation with power. I had my eye on a nice Clarion class D amp, but it all depends on what I can find the day I can actually get the upgrade done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madmat View Post
    I pretended to be banned for a day but I was just playing.
    LOL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
    Which Pioneer? I have my eye on a DEH-P600UB myself. If I can ever get the cash together to buy it.

I videoed my own subwoofer in action the other day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kIFC-uUkM0

Nothing special, cost me less than $100. 300W Visonik V126S4 powered by an "800w" Visonik V217SX actually good for 350W.

These guys are going to be providing the next subwoofer, IXL series, probably another 12": http://www.mach5audio.com/zen/index.php

Will likely be in the same situation with power. I had my eye on a nice Clarion class D amp, but it all depends on what I can find the day I can actually get the upgrade done.
    I had a DEH P5000U. It didn't play nice with the 40gig HDD I'm using to play MP3's through it so I replaced it with a Kenwood KDC-X692. The P5000U was a good head other than not liking the HDD. If you've got a huge flash drive it'll do great though. I imagine the P6000U would do just as well.

Nice choice on the sub. Right now I've got a single RE SE 12" and the sub that's on it's way is a Massive Audio DMX 15" that appears to have been reconed with RE softparts.

Pretty no?

Fire engine red basket FTW!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That was why I specifically chose the DEH-P600UB... it had better support for hard drives than anything else I'd seen from anyone. Up to 250GB IIRC and some 15k files. Was looking at Clarion, but I want something that will look good in a 1992 Imperial too. Alpine is too far behind on USB support. Kenwood - same issue as Clarion.

Nice sub - that should move some air around

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
    That was why I specifically chose the DEH-P600UB... it had better support for hard drives than anything else I'd seen from anyone. Up to 250GB IIRC and some 15k files. Was looking at Clarion, but I want something that will look good in a 1992 Imperial too. Alpine is too far behind on USB support. Kenwood - same issue as Clarion.

Nice sub - that should move some air around
    Well, the P5000UB has the same advertised capabilities as the 6000UB, call Pioneer and they tell me that that's just the USB spec, their heads are only designed to work with flash drives. The X-692 up are designed to work with HDD's, hence me getting it.

On the upside, it was only $145 shipped off fleabay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ah, but that's the 6000... I'm talking about the Premier 600:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/PIONEER-PREMIER-D...QQcmdZViewItem

Of course, something much better will come out the day after I buy it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, still the dude at Pioneer said "None of our head units are designed to work with hard disk drives, flash media only." Note he specifically said none. Kind of suggests to me that they all use the same USB controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah, possibly. I remember looking at the 6000 and not being as impressed with it as that Premier. Maybe Alpine will get a clue and add better support for hard drives by the time I have the money for something like this.

The real challenge is finding something that looks good in that car - my current JVC is ugly as hell in there. Not that good a deck either. KD-G230.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What about the X-792? It's got 64 color 4 line display and a G-meter to tell you things like acceleration, handling and HP to the wheels. Although, I admit, I like the look of the X-592 over the X-792/X-692. The 692 does have an impressive screen though.