Thread: Multiple PSU vs Single

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Multiple PSU vs Single

Just looking for pros/cons on the use of multiple PSUs in a system.

Here's the situation: I'm building a new system and pulling the good parts off of my old one. My power demands could be considerable. My old PSU is a Corsair HX620. I'm planning on running a Q9550 on a P45 board, a single 4870 x2 (new), 8gb of high end DDR2 ram (Vista 64), 6 hard drives (4tb) from the old box, plus the misc other items (fans, rom drives etc).

I wasn't too concerned about it until I read the ATI spec on the 4870x2 that said I would need a minimum supply of 650W.

My new case will support (has space) for 2 PSUs. If the HX620 won't easily handle the load, would it be feasible to add a second PSU that could be dedicated to select components. Or would it make more sense to use a single Large(er) PSU?

Aside from dual components added heat and potential noise, what would the pros/cons be for each option? What would happen to the system if one of the PSUs failed?
    "The bus station is where the bus stops. The train station is where the train stops. On my desk, I have a workstation..." -- Steven Wright

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've never been a fan of dual PSU setups, personally. One HX620 should barely be able to handle the one 4870x2, but I think I would upgrade to a good 750W.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Your biggest drawback is going to be cable clutter.

You won't have added heat because one PSU @ 80% efficiency putting out 500W is giving off 100W of heat. Two PSU's @ 80% efficiency putting out about 250W each is giving off 50W of heat each.

But I can imagine funky things happening if one PSU were to stop working. I guess you should make sure one PSU powers just the graphics cards because if you lose power on those connectors, you'll know without damaging anything. Not sure how you'll handle the minimum load requirements of the other rails though. Resistors?
    Rest in peace Mike Clements, aka "Yellowbeard"

Rest in peace Joerg Theissen, aka "GI Joe"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the Wahoo in his handle stands for UVA Wahoos...then I'm sure he will figure it out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Could make it work, but...

Quote Originally Posted by HOOfan_1 View Post
    If the Wahoo in his handle stands for UVA Wahoos...then I'm sure he will figure it out
    HOOfan,
    Sorry to disappoint, but I'm actually a Florida Gator (no cracks about last Saturday, please ;-). The Wahoo comes from a surf club a buddy and I started, in Jacksonville, years ago.

I will say that I can certainly appreciate UVA's rep for students with larger than normal medulla oblongatas

What I'm gathering from this short thread is that I will most likely avoid a huge headache by simply upgrading to a single, larger PSU.

p.s. Wahoowa!
    "The bus station is where the bus stops. The train station is where the train stops. On my desk, I have a workstation..." -- Steven Wright

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TeamWahoo View Post
    HOOfan,
    Sorry to disappoint, but I'm actually a Florida Gator (no cracks about last Saturday, please ;-). The Wahoo comes from a surf club a buddy and I started, in Jacksonville, years ago.

I will say that I can certainly appreciate UVA's rep for students with larger than normal medulla oblongatas

What I'm gathering from this short thread is that I will most likely avoid a huge headache by simply upgrading to a single, larger PSU.

p.s. Wahoowa!
    bingo!

btw, the Vols could use a quarterback, can you guys spare Tebow?
    Rig 1: Phenom II X2 550-Asus M5A78L-MLX--2x4 Patriot DDR3 1333--Asus Formula HD4770--Enermax Triathlor 450--LG Flatron W2252TQ--Win 10 x64
    Rig 2: Core i3 6300--Asrock Z170M Extreme4--2x8 Adata DDR4 2400--EVGA GTX 750Ti--Corsair CX500M--Corsair Hydro H55--Windows 7 x64

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrWicked1968 View Post
    bingo!

btw, the Vols could use a quarterback, can you guys spare Tebow?
    Hey but your center is one sneaky mofo.