Thread: Enermax Revolution 85+ Preview

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Enermax Revolution 85+ Preview

@Bit-tech.

have six rails, rather than five on the previous Galaxy, and while it features a dedicated transformer and components for the 5/6Amps of 5V standby, the main 3.3V and 5V conversion are done on the modular PCB that is bolted to the back of the PSU

MOSFETs also have ferrite coils around the legs, which it claims works better at keeping the ripple lower, instead of just one large coil over a bundle of cables or at the end of the cable near the connector plug.

Finally both the Galaxy EVO and Revolution will support the new C6 state with a minimum load of 0W so your system can really get some kip and you can save about 40W of power.

It nudges the underside of 90 percent at 50 and 75 percent load, but drops to a healthy 87+ at full load.

The biggest surprise was just how quiet it was at full load - it definitely wasn't silent and there was some obvious bearing noise from the Globe Fan (also a subsidiary of Enermax), but it wasn't intrusive and the noise was mostly a general rush of air, rather than a tornado like so many others.

Enermax is back in business? Pro82+/Modu82+ and now those?
    Anyway for £200 it should be the best 1kW PSU on Earth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by burebista View Post
    MOSFETs also have ferrite coils around the legs, which it claims works better at keeping the ripple lower, instead of just one large coil over a bundle of cables or at the end of the cable near the connector plug.
    yet they didn't bother to test that claim

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

looks promising, lets hope QA is decent. My DOA modu82+ certainly wasn't! Store i bought it off mentioned they'd had a lot of returns, hopefully just a bad batch but still...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SnooP View Post
    Store i bought it off mentioned they'd had a lot of returns, hopefully just a bad batch but still...
    Oh God, Enermax will never get rid of falling PSU's about one year or so?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Modu/Pro82 were quite good on paper and reviews, but I think they suffered from Enermax's lack of QC. They were pretty scarce here in Spain, and I know a couple of the few places that had them got rid of them because of the high number of defective units they were seeing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Breogan View Post
    The Modu/Pro82 were quite good on paper and reviews, but I think they suffered from Enermax's lack of QC. They were pretty scarce here in Spain, and I know a couple of the few places that had them got rid of them because of the high number of defective units they were seeing.
    Man...what a bummer...

I thought they would learn from their mistakes

With their excellent performance in mind, I really wanted them to be reliable

If that was the case, given time to restore the confidence, and prices were right, Enermax could grow into being an serious competitor once again....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Same here in Norway, nobody sells them either. The odd webshop may have a lonely Liberty in stock at some time, but then at ludicrous prices. But when there are so many other good brands out these days, no biggie really.

Rig 1: Core i5 6600K - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Corsair Vengeance 16GB PC2666 RAM - MSI GeForce GTX1070 - Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD + 2TB Seagate SSHD - Corsair RM550x - Fractal Design R5 - Win10 64

Rig 2: Ryzen 1700X @ 3.9 GHz - Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 - Corsair LPX 16GB PC3200 RAM - Gigabyte GeForce 1070 - 250GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD - Corsair RM650i - Win10 64
    HTPC: AMD A6-6400k - MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 mITX - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz - 3.5TB storage - Silver Power 460W passive - CM Elite 120

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh dang, so even with these new line up coming, Enermax is still not capable of delivering the durability needed after the recent fiasco regarding their Liberty and Infinity units ? So disappointing after all the glowing reviews out there.
    Intel C2D E8400 @4.2 GHz 495x8.5
    DFI LanParty LT X38-T2R
    DIY Watercooling
    Adata Vitesta Extreme PC6400 4 GB kit *2 @DDR2 990 5-5-5-15
    HIS HD 4870 512 MB @830-1080
    WDC 3200AAKS *2 (RAID 0) + WDC 5000AACS
    DVDRW BenQ DW2000 + DVDRW LG GH20NS10
    Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Creative Inspire T6600 6.1
    Silverstone Olympia 750w
    TT Kandalf (original)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ferrite beads on MOSFET legs suppress parasitic oscillations, not ripple.

Quote Originally Posted by Bit-Tech
    Rubbish! Ripple amplitude is determined by the switching frequency, the load, the secondary inductor, and the filter caps. The switching FETs have nothing to do with it!

Ferrite beads on the legs address the highest-frequency (> 1 MHz) noise signals, switching spikes. The bead on the gate prevents very high-frequency oscillations in the FM band (50–150 MHz).

See, e.g. Eliminating Parasitic Oscillation between Parallel MOSFETs (Advanced Power Technology application note APT-0402)

It's basic physics, people. Energy = power × time, so time = energy ÷ power. Just how much energy do you think that itty-bitty ferrite can store? When power is 1000 W, that means that time is very very short. Like less than 1 µs.

I'm using a narrow defintion of "ripple" here, but even with a broad one, the signal being suppressed is not even in the passband of the 20 MHz bandwidth ATX ripple test.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Interesting VRM position. I'm wondering if the output chokes have sufficient cooling.

cypherpunks: Yeah that's a FUD. Enermax's ferrite bead tradition is nice but it has nothing to do with ripple suppression. Will it help reduce the REMI?
    It's been a hard day's night and I've been working like a dog.