Thread: Silverstone OP1000 8pin PCIE connectors

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Silverstone OP1000 8pin PCIE connectors

Hello,
    First let me link the review: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story2&reid=33

Now to my question.
    I have an OP1000 PSU that I have had for some time. It has been a very good power supply. I originally purchased it to power a quad SLI system (7950 GX2s in SLI). It has been in 3 different systems, the latest being a 780i with 3 9800GTXs in SLI.

I recently traded in my EVGA 9800GTXs for 3 GTX280s and this is where I ran into problems that I hope someone can help me with.

On page 2 of the review I linked above, about halfway down the page is shown an adapter that came with the revision 1.0 of the PSU. I do not have that adapter and the 2 8-pin PCI-E connectors from the power supply will not connect to the 8 pin power inputs to my 2 GTX280s (one of the 8 pins is a square peg that wont go into a round hole)

From the picture in the article, I can't tell if the adapter is just a passthrough or if the connector is wired differently (the lower connector in the picture could be flipped 180 degrees). I want to keep using this power supply but I certainly don't want to damage my hardware.

I have sent an e-mail to SILVERSTONE but have not gotten any response.

I appreciate any feedback on this!

TheDM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

are you sure you were not trying to plug an 8 pin EPS CPU connector into your PCI-E videocard? The Rev 1.0 apparently didn't have any 8 pin PCI-E connectors, but instead had the adapters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HOOfan_1 View Post
    are you sure you were not trying to plug an 8 pin EPS CPU connector into your PCI-E videocard? The Rev 1.0 apparently didn't have any 8 pin PCI-E connectors, but instead had the adapters.
    It says PCI-E printed on the plastic cover, it also has a plastic tag on the sleeving that says "Silverstone PCI Express". I make the assumption that it is REV1.0 because it doesn not have any revision sticker on it that is mentioned in the review. The comparison photo of the connector and the adapter shows the one pin that is square that should be rounded. That one pin is preventing it from plugging into my GTX280s.

Thanks for the response.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

apparently I didn't pay enough attention to the pictures, I just looked at the connector table which listed 4 6 pin connectors.

Growing pains of the new 8 pin connector I suppose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HOOfan_1 View Post
    Growing pains of the new 8 pin connector I suppose
    In my opinion, the more growing pains it has, the better. If that 8-pin connector becomes mature enough to oust it's older brother the 6-pin connector, we should all by stock in the power companies.

The last thing we need is more graphics cards with a connector rated at 150W versus 75W. Especially when you consider the PCI 2.0 spec giving 150W on it's own. I hope the day isn't coming when you'll have just one connector for 300W possible to the graphics card. Next thing we know, it'll be 450 with 2 8-pin connectors...

Correct me if I'm wrong on anything here, but that's my little knowledge of power overall, at least with PCI-E
    -ShadoMagi-

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Silverstone comes through

Thanks for the responses, I finally heard from Silverstone and they are sending me the adapters for my OP1000. I am very pleased right now and wanted to let people know that Silverstone appears to have come through for me.

Thanks again for the posts,

TheDM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default excellent if slow service by silverstone

Quote Originally Posted by TheDM View Post
    Thanks for the responses, I finally heard from Silverstone and they are sending me the adapters for my OP1000. I am very pleased right now and wanted to let people know that Silverstone appears to have come through for me.

Thanks again for the posts,

TheDM
    I received the adapters from Silverstone and am running my 2 GTX280s in SLI with the OP1000 and using the 2 8 pin PCIe connectors from the power supply. All is well!