Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SG850 vs HX1000

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SG850 vs HX1000

Which PSU would you guys recommend for a system that will top out at around 600 watts?

Both cost the same from where I am buying them from.

Which one has the better overall quality, performance, and predicted reliability?

I have read many positive reviews for both of the units, but which would you choose, the Antec Signature SG850 or the Corsair HX1000. Once again, I will only top out at around 600watts at full load, but prefer a higher-wattage PSU for the extra quality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you really want the absolute best quality, I suppose the Signature Series. Can't lose either way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am a bit nervous about the SG850 though.

I have heard that it runs a little hot, and the fan on the unit is not really that great.

Also, Anandtech gave it a mediocre review.

Can someone enlighten me on the SG850? Anandtech gave it a mediocre review, and I am afraid that jonnyguru may have just received an abnormal higher quality unit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If anyone were to get a cherry picked unit, it would be Anandtech. And Katzer (the reviewer) is an idiot. From the review:
    As for the ripple measurements, we see quite a bit of fluctuation but everything stays well within specs. At lower loads we see up to 12mV on the 12V rails and it reaches up to 26mV with higher loads. The lower voltage rails deliver really nice and clean voltage with only up to 8mV ripple.
    Huh? Since when was going from 12mV to 26mV at full load "quite a bit".

Even with the vague regulation graphs, it's obvious there is something different since it wasn't all that impressive in their review. They did get one of the first off the production line as stated in their review, so there might be something to that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Salavat23 View Post
    I am a bit nervous about the SG850 though.

I have heard that it runs a little hot, and the fan on the unit is not really that great.

Also, Anandtech gave it a mediocre review.

Can someone enlighten me on the SG850? Anandtech gave it a mediocre review, and I am afraid that jonnyguru may have just received an abnormal higher quality unit.
    Anandtech's reviews are just a step above the other joke reviews around the internet.

Look at Oklahoma Wolf's review he said that the PSU fan was not only cooling off the PSU, it was cooling off his hotbox.

Also look at Paul Johnson's review http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/articl...50aHVzaWFzdA==

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Salavat23 View Post
    I am afraid that jonnyguru may have just received an abnormal higher quality unit.
    He didn't receive anything, since he's retired from the site

To answer the question, I sold my HX1000 review sample. I kept my Signature sample.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So you guys suggest that I go for the SG850 even though it is priced the same as the HX1000?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd buy one of the Antecs in a heartbeat.....and am looking at ProVantage's $218 price as being very attractive right now.

And about Anandtech's reviews......they'd have to get better to even get to joke level. It almost seems that some companies and their power supplies really test out well, despite what any other reputable sites get in their testing. And some companies get panned, again despite what any other reputable site comes up with in testing. It almost seems like AT got "help" with their purchase of their Chroma and are beholden to that "help."

AT and their Chroma.....it's sort of like "Look at me, I've got the bestest toy around." attitude but they seem unable to actually use the damed thing appropriately. I still have yet to see an oscilloscope tracing of ripple (something other sites seem quite able to do with ease) or an easy to understand layout of loads put on the power supply and resulting voltage regulation at those loads....instead, we are given the old "The ripple is OK" saw without any documentation in most cases, and when they actually do mention ripple, they knock a 24mV ripple at 100% load as excessive (which is less than 20% of the ATX spec for max ripple)....and a set of bar charts that are almost indecipherable. And AT's commentary about construction and components inside the power supply...."Look at all the heat sinks, it's gotta be great!" Gimme a break!

Give me JG, HOCP, or Hardware Secrets anytime over AT's power supply testing.
    Last edited by C'DaleRider; 08-13-2008 at 12:16 AM.
    A lot of people ask me if I were shipwrecked and could only have one book, what would it be? I always say 'How to Build a Boat.'
    - Stephen Wright

"Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit."
    - Brooks Atkinson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, sorry for the off-topic, but if AT isn't all that great, what are some good review sites, aside from this one obviously? TIA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hardocp, Hardware Secrets. Those are the three best IMO. Hardware Secrets would be a little better if Gabriel gave some more figures instead of just Pass/Fail, but I like the way he takes apart and describes each component.