Thread: Another 'what PSU do I need' post

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Another 'what PSU do I need' post

Hi there, first time poster, long couple-of-days time reader. Nevertheless this site has proved the most thorough, reliable and informative of all the sites I've been trawling for the last several weeks while I put together this whole rig.

The best way to give you the low-down on what help I need is simply to repost the question I sent off to the same people I bought my graphics card from. Obviously I suspect any answers here will be far more informative than that from a sales rep, so here we go:

Hi there,

I recently purchased an XFXGTX280xXx (enough x's?) from your site and while it wings it's way towards me I've realised I am yet to find a suitable PSU for my system that will accomodate such a graphics card. I had planned on the Coolermaster UCP900W but, despite the unit being advertised on the back cover of the latest PCPP magazine, it doesn't seem to exist in Australia. Interesting marketing campaign they have going there. Unless I purchase it from Rectron (along with 39 more of them on a pallet), I cannot purchase this PSU.

Searching around I thought I had found what I needed in an Antec Truepower 850. Unfortunately most sites seem to list the GTX280 as requiring 40amps in total, presumably drawing from both the motherboard and the direct-cable to the PSU. Whether or not they mean the GPU on it's own needs up to 40amps or if they reckon a 'normal' system PLUS the GPU requires 40amps I'm not sure, but that still seems like a fair chunk. Furthermore I can imagine the overclocked XFX would require even more than that. The Truepower has 4 12v rails, but all of them are listed at 18amps. If my (very rudimentary) knowledge is correct, even with the mobo and dedicated cable powering it, it would still only hit 36amps. The Truepower 1000w appears to have the exact same loading specs as the 850, so no luck there.

The only other option I can see is the Antec Signature series.

At the end of the day I'm debating just which one I should go after. Like I said my knowledge in this field is limited at best, but considering how many PSUs out there don't have 20amp rails it would be insane for NVidia to put out a card that hardly anyone can run, so surely I must be misinterpreting something here?

I've looked at Coolermaster, Tagan, Codegen and others but Antec thus far has checked off all the boxes for me. Whilst some forum discussions claim the Truepower 850 will happily run a 280GTX (8pin and 6pin going into the same card, perhaps?) It'd be disappointing to find their Truepower line isn't up to handling the 280GTX - at least their flagship PSU actually exists in Australia, albeit at a $50 premium over the 850TruePower. Bear in mind I'll be running a quad-core, 4gigs of RAM and 2 640gig HDDs on top of that, if that's of any use.

At the end of the day, some advice on choice of PSU would obviously be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Since then I've read up on 6-pin and 8-pin connections and how the GTX does indeed require both, so what's that mean, that I can run 2 rails into the card and any difference required (eg 4amps if using 2 18amp rails) will be made up by the rail supplying the mobo?

So, my options appear to be
    -Antec Truepower IF I am mistaken about the rail amps and how they connect up to everything
    -I can get both 850 and 1000w flavours locally

-Antec Signature series 'just to be on the safe side'. And because it looks shiny and nice. And because it got a really good review on this site
    -No 'local' stockists it would seem, would require me to order it and have it couriered here

-A Corsair? 750?
    - 1000w out of stock locally, 750 available but didn't seem to get the most rave review here from what I read. Of course the 1000w got a much better review, therefore it *has* to be out of stock here

-Thermaltake Toughpower 750/850 perhaps?
    - Seems to get good reviews everywhere, good amps... pity both the PSU itself and the box it comes in look so terrible. Of course, I'm not going to care about the packaging after about 30 seconds, and not too many people (bar perhaps the people on this board) ever compliment others on having a 'nice PSU'
    - Added bonus being the Toughpower is available locally
    - Am also running a Thermaltake case, so in some way having a case and PSU from the same manufacturer seems 'right' in a way

There might be other PSUs you can suggest, although bear in mind I've already looked over a LOT of PSUs already and it's been a steep learning curve. Availability, price, 'amp layout' (call it what you will) have me narrowing this down to pretty much the Antec Sig for quality, Antec Truepower for price, and TT Toughpower for availability. I'm quite happy to splurge for the SG850, whether or not y'all reckon I should or not... well.. feel free to let me know. And to correct me on all the other things I've doubtless got wrong.

No matter how I typed it into google, I could not find anywhere that lists 'PSUs that can handle the GTX280 with enough headroom left over for everything else found in a medium-high-end computer'. Perhaps such an idea is worth following up..

Anyhoo, huge post, hopefully more informative than the usual generic 'what PSU is the best?' question though.

Cheers in advance,

-J
    Last edited by Reaps; 08-06-2008 at 05:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And one more thing, I figure you might appreciate knowing just excactly what I'm running more than other, so I'll list everything I can remember. If you reckon I've bought something crap, feel free to not let me know as I've already bought it ;p The PSU is the last thing that's holding me up, and I'm not going to skimp on the most critical aspect of the entire rig:

• Motherboard
      Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6
    • CPU
      Intel CORE 2 QUAD Q9450
    • RAM
      2x 2G Kingston HyperX PC8500 1066Mhz
    • HDD
      2x 640G Western Digital SATAII 7200rpm
    • GPU
      XFX280 Geforce 280GTX xXx
    • DVD
      Pioneer DVR-215 DVD-RW SATA
    • SOUND
      Auzentech Prelude Xi-Fi Soundcard
    • MOUSE
      Logitech MX Rev mouse
    • KEYBOARD
      Logitech G15 keyboard
    • CASE
      Thermaltake Amour+ VH6000BWS
    • MONITOR
      Samsung 2253LW 22” monitor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The 40A recommendation is for the whole system not just the video card. All the 750W/850W PSUs you've listed should be enough for this system.

Posting to the PSU forum would also generate more answers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Any good brand 500-550W PSU is enough for your setup. Corsair HX520/VX550 for example.
    And before asking: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 (Overclocked to 3.68GHz), and 4GB of OCZ 3P-1600EB4GK DDR3, WD 74GB Raptor, BFG GTX 280 OCX needs 374W AC from the wall (300W DC from PSU assuming 80% PSU efficieny).
    One GTX 280 draw ~15A from +12V.

OK, before I get hammered all I want to say it's that your system needs ~300W DC from your PSU. Now it's your choice to fill the gap until PSU power: 500-600-700W, as much as you feel comfortable and fits your wallet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn, that's a lot of words

Any good 600W+ PSU will handle that system with ease.

The bare minimum should be Corsair HX620, TT Toughpower 650, Enermax Modu82+ 625.

Anything above that it's headroom and it's up to you how much are you willing to spend.

Thermaltake Toughpower 750 or Antec TPQ 850 will do just fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

True, true, I tend to ramble; on the flipside when people ask me questions I usually wind up having to ask them more questions than they originally asked just so I know what their first question meant; all these answers are greatly appreciated though. I'll prolly roll a TPQ850 into it and perhaps later if I start stepping things up a notce I'll grab the SG850 which should have dropped in price by that time. I did read a few horror stories regarding the TPQ850 having issues with some NVidia cards, but the more I read the more PSUs got reported with the same problem, so perhaps it was the card at fault. Besides, these posts were from a while ago so surely things have been getting sorted by now.

Cheers muchly, the PSU was a real stumbling block for me as I didn't want myself to be lured by big sounding numbers or bling into getting a dodgy PSU

Cheers again,

-J

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3584

That was a compatibility issue that affected a lot of PSUs, like you said, but it was fixed with a driver update. There are no issues with the TPQ850.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Trick question, Lemmy is God.

*tips hat* Thanks all