Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low Carbon PC?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Low Carbon PC?

Hey everyone,

A PC support place I saw advertised near me had this wicked 'Low Carbon' PC idea. However I'm not sure of the technical stuff. What do you think? Here's their web site:

http://www.homepc-fix.co.uk/pages/low_carb.htm

Thanks in advance!

Joanne

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess if you buy into the whole anthropogenic global warming myth you won't mind paying twice as much for a supposed "green" system when you can build your own, for a lot less money, without the "wood effect" bezel on the monitor that's just as efficient.
    Rig 1: Phenom II X2 550-Asus M5A78L-MLX--2x4 Patriot DDR3 1333--Asus Formula HD4770--Enermax Triathlor 450--LG Flatron W2252TQ--Win 10 x64
    Rig 2: Core i3 6300--Asrock Z170M Extreme4--2x8 Adata DDR4 2400--EVGA GTX 750Ti--Corsair CX500M--Corsair Hydro H55--Windows 7 x64

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts

Joanna K as in Joanna Kirby?

That makes you a spammer.... GOOD BYE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like that case has alot of plastic in it. Plastic is a polycarbonate....poly meaning many or much...carbonate meaning...well that it has carbon...so that means the PC has much carbon. I call false advertising on the low carbon claim.

ON a more serious note with all of those passive heatsinks I would think that it would run hot...when the temperature rises so does electrical resistance...thus the computer would be less efficient and use more electricity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrWicked1968 View Post
    I guess if you buy into the whole anthropogenic global warming myth you won't mind paying twice as much for a supposed "green" system when you can build your own, for a lot less money, without the "wood effect" bezel on the monitor that's just as efficient.
    Myth huh? I seem to remember there being four distinct seasons versus the two we see now. It used to get cool in Sept, be cool until late November then turn cold and stay that way until early to mid March whereas now it's hot from May until October and then cool for a few weeks, cold for a few then cool then hot.

If you think that global warming is a myth I suggest investing a few bucks in an almanac and compare temps back a century or so and you'll find that it's more than a myth it's a fucking fact.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts

Yeah... but you're in Georgia.

I still get seasons up here in Illinois.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madmat View Post
    Myth huh? I seem to remember there being four distinct seasons versus the two we see now. It used to get cool in Sept, be cool until late November then turn cold and stay that way until early to mid March whereas now it's hot from May until October and then cool for a few weeks, cold for a few then cool then hot.
    Actually you don't want t use your current state and location as it is a bad one to use for that example since it is cyclically hot/cold with prevailing Indian summers and cyclic drought. The mountains to your north and the gulf stream to your south create turbulent weather patterns that alternately trap highs and lows which results in long strings of weather that are unbroken except by convectional thunderstorms and tornadoes giving a false impression of the seasonal changes. Some of the worst "snow storms", ice storms, and cold temps have pushed into spring (aka March) making the concept of spring a bit off and this year for instance May was still cool. These are however, cyclic things that happen in your state.

And yes I have looked at the historical data for the area and been through it year in and year out.

In other words.....your state is a unpredictable even when we were worried about global cooling and before.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep GA tends to go threw a 4 to 6 year cycles. Right now your in the 4 years of drout. As for global warming... well its been warming since the last ice age. Core samples from the ice in the arctic circle has shown that the earth goes threw waring and cooling cycles. Weather we have been accelerating that possess or not has not been proven. All that has been proven is that the planet is warming, that cause is still unknown.
    SYSTEM:
    | Opti 165 @ 2.9Ghz 322 FSB 9X Multi. 1292 HTT | DFI Infinity NF4 SLI | 7900GS @ 580/690 |
    | 2 x 1Gb Muskin DDR500 @ 512Mhz 3-3-2-7 | Corsair VX550W |
    COOLING:
    | CM Eclipse | VF-900 | Antec 900 |

XATE-984 Load Tester Build

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

GA may tend to but AR and CA don't and I've watched the normal weather patterns in both states change over the 27 years I was in CA and the 14+ I was in AR.

While I've only been in GA a couple of years my room-mate has lived here since 1970 and he says that the weather here has grown warmer per month pretty steadily since the 70's.

Think about it, we dump tons (per person) of greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere per year and sadly the amounts dumped per person are increasing and the number of people are increasing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madmat View Post

While I've only been in GA a couple of years my room-mate has lived here since 1970 and he says that the weather here has grown warmer per month pretty steadily since the 70's.
    That is the thing with Ga people always say that about the temperatures, the summer storms, the snow, and the droughts. Unfortunately, with the exception of the heat island effect around Atlanta it doesn't hold true (kind of like the concept of "early winter in Russia"). Atlanta downtown on the asphalt is warmer due to the heat island and the east side of the city has gotten wetter due to the heat island, but state wide the temperatures have continued to be cyclic as have the droughts. Ask your roommate what he remembers about the year 1986 and the winter of 84/85. Or Winter 2000 or December 1995 or March 1993. Those should still be close enough in memory.

Beyond memorable times 1880 and 1917 posted two of the warmest winters on record in Georgia. With temperature records that still stand in many cases.