Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Screeching PCP&C 750 Silencer w/ GTX 280

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If every PSU you bought is whining, then it probably not the PSU. Look at your GFX card or your MB.
    Software readings are crap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It could be something "in between". Could be the mainboard or some Powerwires in the wall. Im a freak and when the Nehalem comes out im one of the first who buys it. Then there will be a new Mainboard, too. So i will see. I keep you informed, guys. By the way, brilliant forum! See ya:-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post
    I guess it's the same "too good dynamic load performance" issue as the earlier version of Silverstone OP650~850 and DA650~850.
    Could you expand on that? Is that only a problem for modular PSUs? So that I could try a non-modular PSU and see if the problem disappears then?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHoleSun View Post
    Some feedback of my currently bought Enermax Modu 82+. It whines as every PSU i bought my life.
    Thank you for that. That would be the Enermax MODU82+ 525W then? I almost bought an Enermax PSU because the guy in the first Youtube video I posted said the Enermax MODU82+ 625W had less of a noise. Now I will try a non-modular PSU and see if it has the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHoleSun View Post
    I bought the new Cooler Master 600 Silent Pro and it whined.
    That's the Cooler Master Silent Pro M 600W right? It's also modular? Did anyone have this problem with a non-modular PSU like the Corsair TX650? I have the exact same issue with my modular 650W PSU from Fractal Design. Here and here are two Youtube videos that show the problem if you haven't seen them.

To recap this problem. Was it first reported with the release of the GTX 275 and GTX 285 in the spring and summer of last year? Update: Or has it been around for longer than this? This thread seems to show that some high-end Radeon R300 cards would produce the same PSU noise.

My computer:

Antec Sonata Elite
    Fractal Design Newton R2 650W
    ASUS P5QL Pro
    Intel Core 2 Duo E7400
    Corsair XMS2 4096MB DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz (5-5-5-18) (2x2048MB)
    HIS Radeon HD 5770
    Caviar Black 1TB
    Samsung Intern SATA DVD±RW 22x

With default BIOS settings and clock speeds
    Last edited by John Peterson; 10-28-2009 at 07:24 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
    Could you expand on that? Is that only a problem for modular PSUs? So that I could try a non-modular PSU and see if the problem disappears then?
    No, it had to do with the main transformer in the first few batches. Silverstone wanted a top quality transformer which handled dynamic loads well but it turns out it made an annoying squeal/buzz that was not well received by most of their customers. To fix this Silverstone had to downgrade the transformer to get one that didn't make an audible noise, or at least not so annoying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shinji2k View Post
    No, it had to do with the main transformer in the first few batches. Silverstone wanted a top quality transformer which handled dynamic loads well but it turns out it made an annoying squeal/buzz that was not well received by most of their customers. To fix this Silverstone had to downgrade the transformer to get one that didn't make an audible noise, or at least not so annoying.
    Ok. Thanks. Do you think a transformer is producing this whine too? Or could it be another component?

What about the non-modular PSUs? It doesn't seem like anyone had this problem with a non-modular one? Should I try that? Since I have seen reports about this on so many modular brands I don't feel it's worth to try another modular PSU. It could be that the faulty component in almost all PSUs is from the same producer. In that case I'm buying the same thing again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, one more boring story to torture you guys with:

Well, at the time I purchased a BFG 280GTX, I had a Zalman ZM750-HP http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817379006 Anyway, when I tossed in the BFG 280GTX, I heard that wonderful sound others have described as "whining". Well, to me, kind of sounds a bit like a small rattlesnake is stuck inside the PSU. So, being an expert in electronics, and knowing nothing about electronics at the same time, I figured it was the card and RMA'd it. Anyway, totally confused about what it could be for sure, I decided that this was a golden opportunity to by myself a premium PSU; and bought a Corsair HX1000. So, at this point, I figured that I had eliminated the problem for sure, so I thought. So, being that I was cured of this strange noise, I decided to buy another 280GTX (EVGA SSC). And, as you guys can probably imagine, that lovely noise still permeates my office (after the new card was installed, of course), when I run 3D apps, especially 3Dmark06. But, to Corsair's credit, the noise is far less with the HX1000 than it was with the ZALMAN ZM750-HP.

Well, don't you guys love my story? So, as far as the noise, I just put on the headphones and fire up my game, no worries there. And, as far as the ZALMAN ZM750-HP, I thought I was buying a modular 750 watt PSU manufactured by Seasonic, not FSP. The ZALMAN ZM750-HP appears to be a good unit, notorious for "whining" with certain cards, though. Anyway, Zalman offered to RMA the unit for me, and they were prompt in their response to me. But, I just tossed the unit into another computer, with a low-end GPU/2600XT, and it's happy.

So, my question to you guys: should I dump the HX1000 and get something different? I mean, is a bit of noise a good enough excuse to buy myself a new toy?
    Last edited by Osoloco; 10-28-2009 at 04:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Try to locate the source of the noise before you swap out more components. Try to identify if it is mechanical noise or electrically induced sound. Usually electrically induced noise depends on load levels/temperature.
    Software readings are crap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Super Nade View Post
    Try to locate the source of the noise before you swap out more components. Try to identify if it is mechanical noise or electrically induced sound. Usually electrically induced noise depends on load levels/temperature.
    Oh, for me, I spent a lot of time trying to isolate the noise. Before the noise/the installation of either 280GTX, I had a 4870, which made virtually no noise. And, when trying to figure out what was causing the noise, and where it was emitted from, I did a lot of investigating, more than others would, trust me. I have an Antec 1200 case, which I put on it's side and listened carefully for the source. But, to my chagrin, it sounded like it was coming from both, or either; acoustics might have played a part? Anyway, after a ton of research, I came to the conclusion that it's a noisy inductor(s), who knows? But, considering this, and the fact that there's nothing to worry about, I find it humorous that I spent so much time trying to solve a problem that's not really a problem at all. So, my point: some PSU and VGA (notably the 280GTX) combos cause a bit of noise, some worse others; nothing really to worry about, if it's inductor noise.

Well, for me, I've been building my own machines for about 10 years. So, I'm pretty good at trouble shooting, when something goes wrong. However, in all these years of building computers, I've never dealt with noisy inductors, nor did I know what an inductor was. But, this problem, along with other things, such as failing PSU's, has drawn me to sites like this, to learn about electronics, from people like you, OW, Jonny, and the Corsair guys.

RSC is offline Left foot, right foot, your body will follow.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are two things you can try that have worked pretty well in cases of GTX cards "whining":

1- Set Vsync to "Force on" in the Nvidia Control Panel.

2- Disable C1E and Speedstep in BIOS. First only C1E, then, if it doesn't work, C1E and Speedstep.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RSC View Post
    1- Set Vsync to "Force on" in the Nvidia Control Panel.
    That's a workaround that alleviates some of the pain. But it's not a solution since all games that still use 80% och 90% of the GPU (in the case that the GPU can't produce 60 fps with less than 80% or 90% load) will produce a noise. For example in Crysis, and most new games, my GPU can't produce 60 fps so I have a noise even with v-sync. Also, most people will want to maxmize their GPU usage if it will make the game other application look better. So it's not a solution that the noise is completely absent if you use only 70% or less of the GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Osoloco View Post
    when I run 3D apps, especially 3Dmark06.
    To confirm that it's the same noise. Not that I doubt it. Could you try ATITool or Furmark? Because with those tools you will then be able to instantly turn the noise on and off by opening and closing the 3D window. In 3DMark the noise will be intermittent or absent during some parts of the benchmarks.

Quote Originally Posted by Osoloco View Post
    So, my question to you guys: should I dump the HX1000 and get something different? I mean, is a bit of noise a good enough excuse to buy myself a new toy?
    I would suggest that you try a non-modular PSU. Since the Zalman ZM750-HP is modular too, and we've seen reports of the same problem with modular PSUs from Corsair, Enermax, Cooler Master and Fractal Design. That's what I will do. I will get a Corsair non-modular TX650. Then I'll RMA my current modular PSU, but I'm almost certain I will get the exact same noise with the new one they'll send me, as others have even after they've replaced their PSU.
    Last edited by John Peterson; 11-10-2009 at 12:39 PM.