Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Screeching PCP&C 750 Silencer w/ GTX 280

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Screeching PCP&C 750 Silencer w/ GTX 280

The title says it all. I recently picked up a GTX 280, and I noticed a screeching sound coming from the PC when the card was under 3D load. Naturally, I assumed it was the GTX 280, but after posting on the EVGA forums about it someone suggested that it might actually be the PSU... Checked it out when I got home today, and sure enough it's the PSU not the video card.

This is one of the original bronze colored PCP&C 750 Silencers (pre-OCZ) with the dual 6-pin PCIe connectors, and it's powered quite a lot in its day including a 9800GX2, a 3870X2, and a few other multi-gpu setups with nary a peep.

So, I have a few questions that I think some of you here may be able to answer:

1) What is the mostly likely culprit of the screeching noise?
    2) Aside from the "this noise is going to drive me nuts" factor, should I be concerned? Should I replace ASAP?
    3) Is a screeching PSU an RMA/replacement worthy issue?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I guess it's the same "too good dynamic load performance" issue as the earlier version of Silverstone OP650~850 and DA650~850.
    It's been a hard day's night and I've been working like a dog.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nitromullet View Post
    1) What is the mostly likely culprit of the screeching noise?
    2) Aside from the "this noise is going to drive me nuts" factor, should I be concerned? Should I replace ASAP?
    3) Is a screeching PSU an RMA/replacement worthy issue?
    1-coil whine... very common
    2-not dangerous
    3-yes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
    1-coil whine... very common
    2-not dangerous
    3-yes
    Thanks for the response. Curious though, if 1 and 2 are true, why is 3 also true? Is it a quality/build issue?

As an aside, now that I recognize the sound I realized that it's done it with other video cards as well, just not nearly as often.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a similar problem with my 8800GTX, it only shows up when I run folding at home though. It bugged me enough that I don't fold anymore. it is very high pitched and I am sure that lot of people couldn't here it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi Guys. Im new to this Forum and i have to say something. Yeah my PSU is whining too. Especially under load (Atitool, 3DMark) and it bothers me. I bought a Corsair 520HX and...whine. I bought the new Cooler Master 600 Silent Pro and it whined. So i just ordered an Enermax 525 Modu and pray to god above for a none whining PSU. Why, oh why is it so that the expensive PSU`s whine? I am German and these PSU`S cost 100Euro. And its NOT my 260 Card. Any suggestions dudes? Thanks for any opinion! What comes to my mind is, maybe its because i don have a clean Power Source. Would UPS help? Has it something to be with it? Thats annoying.
    Last edited by BlackHoleSun; 07-12-2008 at 03:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHoleSun View Post
    What comes to my mind is, maybe its because i don have a clean Power Source. Would UPS help? Has it something to be with it? Thats annoying.
    Nope, it's because the glue on the coil windings sometimes comes loose, and they start vibrating at audible frequencies.

I would say though, two different units making noise in a row makes me suspect the problem is not the PSU.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for your opinion Wolf. But the thing is, i placed the PSU`s outside my case and this whining comes clearly outta them. Of course it could be the card, but its making the sound very "soft". Strange thing. Could it be my p35 DS4? So whats going on here? I`m outta ideas...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
    Nope, it's because the glue on the coil windings sometimes comes loose, and they start vibrating at audible frequencies.

I would say though, two different units making noise in a row makes me suspect the problem is not the PSU.
    I set up an RMA with PCP&C, replaced the 750 Silencer with a Corsair HX1000W, and the PSU whines also. It's definitely the PSU. I can hear it clearly coming from the PSU, plus it's a slightly different sound/pitch than it was on the PCP&C.

I like the Corsair PSU though. Lots of connectors and power for future growth. At this point, I've given up. I'm just going to deal with the occasional PSU whine, as it doesn't seem to cause any issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK dudes. Some feedback of my currently bought Enermax Modu 82+. It whines as every PSU i bought my life. Im giving up and live with the whine under Atitool and 3Dmark. Every PSU makes this annoying noise. But i must say, this Enermax is the quietest PSU i had ever in my life. Im really impressed. Under load the fan spins under 600. Idle at around 500. You cant hear it except the things i said above. My Corsair 520HX was louder. Greetings, BlackHoleSun.