Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PSU/ Video Card woes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PSU/ Video Card woes

For over a year I've had a Corsair HX620 psu and an 8800 GTX w/o problems until recently which I believe started after I started running 2 monitors off my video card. Anyway I started experiencing problems with my computer were that after a while of gaming my computer would freeze and I would have to hard reset. After a few weeks my video card would start to artifact along with the freezing and I had to RMA the card. The RMA card I got started doing the same thing after a few weeks and now I'm RMA'ing that card. While talking to Evga to help figure out the problem they mentioned that my psu could be giving incorrect voltages and slowly causing my cards to artifact over time.

Now I am wondering if using a second monitor is causing my video card to draw more power and making the psu cause more voltage fluctuations along the +12v rail which is killing my cards over time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LostInRehab View Post
    For over a year I've had a Corsair HX620 psu and an 8800 GTX w/o problems until recently which I believe started after I started running 2 monitors off my video card. Anyway I started experiencing problems with my computer were that after a while of gaming my computer would freeze and I would have to hard reset. After a few weeks my video card would start to artifact along with the freezing and I had to RMA the card. The RMA card I got started doing the same thing after a few weeks and now I'm RMA'ing that card. While talking to Evga to help figure out the problem they mentioned that my psu could be giving incorrect voltages and slowly causing my cards to artifact over time.

Now I am wondering if using a second monitor is causing my video card to draw more power and making the psu cause more voltage fluctuations along the +12v rail which is killing my cards over time.
    If so then theres somethign wrong with the PSU because the second monitor would not add that much more draw and that PSU should handle your system perfectly fine...

They are correct though that it could be your PSU. Though I highly doubt it has anything to do with adding a second monitor.
    Yin|Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3|Swiftech XT-> GTX240 -> DDC+ w/ Petra's|2600K @ 4.8GHz |4 x 4 GB G.Skill Eco PC3-12800|Asus 7950 DirectCUII|256 GB Crucial M4|2 x 2 TB Seagate LP(Raid-0)|Seasonic M12-700|Lian-Li PC-6077B (Heavily Modded)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Not likely to be the PSU - more likely drivers, overheating, or memory.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
    Not likely to be the PSU - more likely drivers, overheating, or memory.
    Agreed
    Yin|Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3|Swiftech XT-> GTX240 -> DDC+ w/ Petra's|2600K @ 4.8GHz |4 x 4 GB G.Skill Eco PC3-12800|Asus 7950 DirectCUII|256 GB Crucial M4|2 x 2 TB Seagate LP(Raid-0)|Seasonic M12-700|Lian-Li PC-6077B (Heavily Modded)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would agree with the overheating but there is a problem neither cards went past 85c and have at times froze at 75c and below. Could be the memory on the cards but I don't have anything to monitor those temps and it seems odd that its happened twice now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LostInRehab View Post
    I would agree with the overheating but there is a problem neither cards went past 85c and have at times froze at 75c and below. Could be the memory on the cards but I don't have anything to monitor those temps and it seems odd that its happened twice now.
    I think wolf was refering to system memory... and to put that into perspective for you I have replaced at least 10 kits of ram int eh past two years. RAM is picky...

Oh and in all my memory troubles I thought it was video related until I lent my cards to friends to play with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

just to add another opinion, but I think it could be your motherboard. Your system ran fine for over a year, now, in quick succession, you've had two video cards begin artifacting and one of them was a warranty replacement. Your system would also randomly lock up requiring a hard restart. It sounds like it started with a memory slot (not necessarily the memory itself) going bad and then progressed to the PCI express slot.

have you done a visual inspection of your motherboard to make sure all the caps are still in good shape? Other than adding a second monitor, have you done any other changes? Are you overclocking at all? If so, have you fiddled with the voltage settings for your PCIe slot?
    Rig 1: Phenom II X2 550-Asus M5A78L-MLX--2x4 Patriot DDR3 1333--Asus Formula HD4770--Enermax Triathlor 450--LG Flatron W2252TQ--Win 10 x64
    Rig 2: Core i3 6300--Asrock Z170M Extreme4--2x8 Adata DDR4 2400--EVGA GTX 750Ti--Corsair CX500M--Corsair Hydro H55--Windows 7 x64

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrWicked1968 View Post
    just to add another opinion, but I think it could be your motherboard. Your system ran fine for over a year, now, in quick succession, you've had two video cards begin artifacting and one of them was a warranty replacement. Your system would also randomly lock up requiring a hard restart. It sounds like it started with a memory slot (not necessarily the memory itself) going bad and then progressed to the PCI express slot.

have you done a visual inspection of your motherboard to make sure all the caps are still in good shape? Other than adding a second monitor, have you done any other changes? Are you overclocking at all? If so, have you fiddled with the voltage settings for your PCIe slot?
    On that note it could be the NB iteself on the mobo... in addition to Wicked's questions what motherboard are you running?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I have and Abit AB9 Quad GT. The original memory I had was some crucial 10th ann edition untill on stick died and I replaced it with corsair 800 sticks which I replaced with some kingston hyperX 1066 ram for no reason at all.

I haven't overclocked in months and everything is stock except for my ram which is set to 800 4-4-4-12 t2 with 2.2v. I'll have to get back to you on checking the motherboard caps though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well i would also suggest that if the video card is getting to temps above 60 degrees C then you should look at airflow issues in your case, which could have caused a slow degredation in your mobo and started a landslide effect of dying hardware... heat is THE hardware killer. i know if my vid-card gets over 55C i get more than a little worried, and my cpu NEVER breaks 45C even under HEAVY load. typically cpu/gpu tend to die after 60-65C so look into adding some case fans or if you have enough fans look into fans with higher CFM and verify the airflow is going the right way. all air should be exhausted through the back of the case, any other fans should be intake. GL hope that helps
    Rig: athlon 64 X2 5000+ BlackBox, sapphire HD3870 toxic edition, x-fi extreme gamer Fatal1ty pro, sunbeam freezing storm case 5x120 mm case fans, 500GB barracuda SATA2, samung SH-S203B SATA DVD burner, Floppy drive(try flashing a bios w/o one ), Biostar TA-770(ya well im broke, my K9A2 platinum will have to wait) 2x1GB super talent DDR2 800, arctic cooler 64(it was on sale for 20$+ free shipping lol), CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W, and i only use Arctic Silver 5.