Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would like power supply/GTX 280 opinion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Would like power supply/GTX 280 opinion

I currently run a Seasonic S12, 650watt, SLI-Certified with 2, 6-Pin PCI-E's but no 8-pin pci-e.

Can I run one GTX 280 using both adapters as a long term solution? (2, 6-pin to 8-pin as well as dual molex to 6-pin). My PC is otherwise relatively lightly loaded - Q9450, 2x2gb DDR2, 1 HDD, 1 CD/RW, 4 USB devices.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by azanon View Post
    I currently run a Seasonic S12, 650watt, SLI-Certified with 2, 6-Pin PCI-E's but no 8-pin pci-e.

Can I run one GTX 280 using both adapters as a long term solution? (2, 6-pin to 8-pin as well as dual molex to 6-pin). My PC is otherwise relatively lightly loaded - Q9450, 2x2gb DDR2, 1 HDD, 1 CD/RW, 4 USB devices.
    I personally wouldn't see a problem with picking up a single 6-pin to 8-pin adapter and using just your PCI-E cables (one direct and one with the 6-8 pin adapter) to power the GTX 280.

You could also try and get a 6+2 pin cable from another PSU like the Corsair... thats what im doing. I have corsair sending me a 6+2 pin cable for my HX620 but im actually going to use it on my Seasonic M12-700.
    Yin|Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3|Swiftech XT-> GTX240 -> DDC+ w/ Petra's|2600K @ 4.8GHz |4 x 4 GB G.Skill Eco PC3-12800|Asus 7950 DirectCUII|256 GB Crucial M4|2 x 2 TB Seagate LP(Raid-0)|Seasonic M12-700|Lian-Li PC-6077B (Heavily Modded)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Given the poll I saw yesterday showing the number of people having overheating issues with their GTX 280 (73% are) http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=115423, I decided to pass on the 280.

I went with a regular clocked eVGA 260. I'm hoping to have more peace of mind with a card that's not internally pushed to its limits (as compared to the 280), as well as having the proper/approved connections for it with no adapters needed.

hehe, funny titles given based on post numbers. As already mentioned, I use a nice Seasonic that I love! If you want whisper quiet, dependable power, they're great!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Given the poll I saw yesterday showing the number of people having overheating issues with their GTX 280 (73% are) http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=115423, I decided to pass on the 280.

I went with a regular clocked eVGA 260. I'm hoping to have more peace of mind with a card that's not internally pushed to its limits (as compared to the 280), as well as having the proper/approved connections for it with no adapters needed.

hehe, funny titles given based on post numbers. As already mentioned, I use a nice Seasonic that I love! If you want whisper quiet, dependable power, they're great!
    Overheating issues eh? People must not know how to build computers cause my GTX 280 is not running any hotter then my 8800GT G92 was (74°c max load)

And yes seasonic PSU's are great. I love my M12-700watt... I have two of them.
    Yin|Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3|Swiftech XT-> GTX240 -> DDC+ w/ Petra's|2600K @ 4.8GHz |4 x 4 GB G.Skill Eco PC3-12800|Asus 7950 DirectCUII|256 GB Crucial M4|2 x 2 TB Seagate LP(Raid-0)|Seasonic M12-700|Lian-Li PC-6077B (Heavily Modded)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bun-Bun View Post
    Overheating issues eh? People must not know how to build computers cause my GTX 280 is not running any hotter then my 8800GT G92 was (74°c max load)
    Or you're in the 23% that got a good one.

Make no mistake, even I estimate that at least 1/3rd of those "cases" are user-type errors (bad airflow, inadequate power supply, connected wrong, other parts of the system are really failing, etc). But if it's one third, then approximately half of the boards are still bad. Certainly, it's not 100% user error.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Or you're in the 23% that got a good one.

Make no mistake, even I estimate that at least 1/3rd of those "cases" are user-type errors (bad airflow, inadequate power supply, connected wrong, other parts of the system are really failing, etc). But if it's one third, then approximately half of the boards are still bad. Certainly, it's not 100% user error.
    Remove heatsink, clean off crap paste with q-tips + alcohol, tiny dab of quality thermal paste, throw heatsink back on and your heat issue is fixed.

Under load without thermal paste my 7600GT runs over 100c. With thermal paste (Arctic Ceramique) it runs under 60c under full load.

It makes all the difference in the world, and I even run off a bench setup 24/7 so the air that the gpu fan is pulling is the same temperature as my condo...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can almost guarantee that overheating issues are from low/poor air flow in the case, encompassed with high ambient temps.

As an example, a buddy of mine bought my 8800GTX, he was having a hard time with his temps. Idle on the card was 74c.

I asked what his ambient temps were, to which he replied 29C/85F.

Without putting an ounce of thought into it, the problem is obvious. Later in the evening he called me back to inform me that he had just installed his air conditioner, which had been cooling the room for a good hour.

Once his room hit 73F, the card idled at 51C.

I'm not saying that's your issue,you may have a bad card, you may not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Remove heatsink, clean off crap paste with q-tips + alcohol, tiny dab of quality thermal paste, throw heatsink back on and your heat issue is fixed.
    Void the warranty on a $650 dollar card??? One would have to be insane to do that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

not all companies void your warranty for such things. I believe EVGA and XFX still let you return the card even if you mod the heatsink.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post

Under load without thermal paste my 7600GT runs over 100c. With thermal paste (Arctic Ceramique) it runs under 60c under full load.
    The GTX 280 cards use thermal paste already. You shouldn't have to take it apart - which BTW is a PITA... I've worked on several cards (installing waterblocks, etc.).
    Zap
    Clan of the Bloody Fist