Sapphire X1950Pro 256MB PCI-E
    2GB (2x1) G.skill DDR2 800 (5-5-5-12)
    WesternDigital 160GB SataII HDD
    LITE-ON 20X DVD burner
    Rosewill 52-in-1 media card reader
    3x Scythe S-Flex 120mm case fans
    USB mouse and keyboard + two or three variuos USB devices attached
    Corsiar VX550W Power Supply

Although my current X1950Pro still does pretty well, I was looking to upgrade becuase some of the newer game titles are a bit more demanding and my trusty X1950Pro and it is starting to stuggle a bit. And, since I have a Crossfire motherboard that has never seen a crossfire set-up, I was looking at trying my hand at it... But I really dont want to have to upgrade my power supply in order to make the switch.

So, my questions are....

Looking at the specs of my system, What do you think I can safely get away with useing the Corsiar VX550w? I was looking at possibly two HD3850's or two HD3870's, do you think this is possible with this current configuration?

Im not to savy when it comes to calculating PSU requirements, looking at my system, how much power draw do you think Im useing minus any graphics cards? in other words.. how much power (wattage/amps) do you think I have to spare to dedicate towards graphic cards?

Last question.. honestly, in your opinion, is spending $200 (2x3850 ) to $300 (2x3870) a good idea, or should I just wait and buy a HD4xxx series?

Thanks for any info you can give me,
    Wasper

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would wait a week and see what the 4850 is like. its going to be a 200 dollar card. (pre order at any rate) and like me your CPU will end up limiting the video card somewhat. might want to look at overclocking.

If nothing else the price on the 3850 should be dropping quit a bit after the release.

I think the 550 will be fine unless you go to the high end cards

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the reply.

I guess it all get a bit confuseing to me... it seams like I find conflicting information when it comes to power draw on certain cards...

Like here its says max power draw for a HD 3870 is 105w: http://www.gpureview.com/Radeon-HD-3870-card-547.html

But, here it shows the HD 3870 drawing 125w at idle, then 214w under load : http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3151&p=11

So, going by the first link, my 550w should be sufiecent for a crossfire set-up, drawing potentailly 210w max .... But the second link shows that, under load, two HD 3870's could potentially draw upto 428w ??!!?? and other sites show the HD 3870 going upwards of 240w+ under load for a single card.....

Im confused to the max, lol....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

those figures are for the entire system, not just the video cards.
    Rig 1: Phenom II X2 550-Asus M5A78L-MLX--2x4 Patriot DDR3 1333--Asus Formula HD4770--Enermax Triathlor 450--LG Flatron W2252TQ--Win 10 x64
    Rig 2: Core i3 6300--Asrock Z170M Extreme4--2x8 Adata DDR4 2400--EVGA GTX 750Ti--Corsair CX500M--Corsair Hydro H55--Windows 7 x64

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^ Thanks, no wonder I was confused.

I was thinking about it today, and Im haveing second thoughts on a Crossfire set-up. Although I have a MB that can support it @ full 16x each slot, and now I know my PSU could support it.... I realized that I only have a 19" non-wide screen LCD... So basically my max resolution is 1280X1024.

In your opinion, will I see any benifit in a Crossfire set-up at these resolutions? I heard that it only really shines in higher resolution situations..is this true? Would buying a single, more powerfull, card be a better purchase for someone in my situation?

I just dont want my zeal for a Crossfire set-up cloud my judgement on this one.

Any advice and recomendations is most welcome.
    Wasper

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wasper View Post
    In your opinion, will I see any benifit in a Crossfire set-up at these resolutions? I heard that it only really shines in higher resolution situations..is this true? Would buying a single, more powerfull, card be a better purchase for someone in my situation?
    Usually a single, more powerful card is the better purchase - though it depends on the card and how prices fall.

I'd say if you want to stick with ATI, you'd be selling yourself short if you don't wait for the new GPUs. I believe their release should be really soon because a couple of online stores have accidentally listed (and immediately pulled) 4850 cards for sale.

Also, yeah, your resolution shouldn't be very taxing.
    Zap
    Clan of the Bloody Fist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^Thanks for the info,

Well, I think Im going with a HD 4850... I looked over a bunch of reviews and benchmarks today and it looks like a HD 4850 is on par with a 9800GTX and beats it in some benches... Not to shabby for a card thats selling right now on variuos sites for $199. Some benchmarks even show dual HD 4850's in Crossfire beating out the new Nvidia 280GTX in some benches.... Heh, good thing I did wait :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just an update..

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the HD4850.. went with a Visiontek becuase they offer a lifetime warrenty (I think thier the only ones offering a lifetime on the HD4xxx series at this point). So far, running strong !

a couple of pics...
    My old Sapphire X1950Pro next to the new Visiontek HD4850..

The new card installed...

I figure in a few months Ill add another one for crossfire, hopefully the Corsair 550 will handle it

Thanks for the help peeps!!!