Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interview with Doug from PCP&C

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Interview with Doug from PCP&C

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...-doug-dodson/1

BT: How do you expect the PSU to evolve in the next three to five years considering the push to greener, more efficient computing? (Personally we believe PSUs will become more of a commodity product so in the future there will be an emphasis on price and features rather than component quality).

DD: I expect a major change. There will be only one DC output: +12 Volts. The +3.3V, +5V, and -12V outputs will be eliminated in the future. This will make the PSU more efficient, since +12 Volts is the most efficient output, and of course it will make the PSU simpler and less expensive.
    I didn't see this on the site anywhere, and figured this is right up Jonny's alley as far as hardware news goes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

also good

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    BT: Ultra has recently sued many PSU manufacturers for allegedly infringing on its modular PSU patents in the US, was this a consideration in your decision not to make modular PSUs?

DD: No. Our decision was based solely on the engineering merits. We had never even heard of Ultra.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He's full of BS, being the CEO of PCP&C and trying to claim that he's never heard of Ultra is akin to the CEO of GM saying he's never heard of Daihatsu or KIA. You can't be in charge of a PSU firm and not be aware of what your competitors are doing let alone not know who they are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

I saw this the other day but didn't post it as news because its not news, although Doug is a smart guy and it's intersting to hear what he has to say.

I liked the one response in the comments: "never heard of Ultra my ass". I have to believe Doug does know of them now, even if he hadn't heard of them before, because his boss is named as a defendant in a patent infringement suit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Aint this BS or what?

BT: bit-tech has been historically geared toward PC modding and I have to admit we've been very tempted to do a "modularising a PCP&C PSU" (a mainstream Silencer) article for a while.

DD: Actually, we do have a modular design without the normal drawbacks. We may make it a commercial product one day!!!

BT: Really? Can you tell us anymore?

DD: The modular designs we have in mind involve connectors with far more surface area and much more secure fastening than the connectors used by other PSU manufacturers. There'll be no voltage drop or reliability problems like there is with those flimsy, low amperage connectors.
    Software readings are crap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Super Nade View Post
    Aint this BS or what?
    The reason their design does not have the same drawbacks is their FUD......errrrrr......myths page will say so!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why does everyone interview Doug Dobson, as if he is THE Authority of SMPSs?

Or is it the fact that he actively requests interviews to spread his nonsense?

I wish an engineer from another well known manufactuer would come out and call his bluff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

Not sure how that works.

I'm in Santa Clara visiting Nvidia right now and guess what? Doug is here as a guest speaker to tell us all about ESA. eh?

Face it... he's a celebrity of sorts. Know what Nvidia has to say about jonnyGURU? "Jonnyguru? I mean, really???" LOL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PaulTa View Post
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...-doug-dodson/1

I didn't see this on the site anywhere, and figured this is right up Jonny's alley as far as hardware news goes.
    Single +12v discussed here: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3856

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Face it... he's a celebrity of sorts. Know what Nvidia has to say about jonnyGURU? "Jonnyguru? I mean, really???" LOL!

Is that supposed to mean, you need no introduction? Or is that supposed to mean you are as welcome there at Jack Thompson is at Quakecon?