Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: [ASK] FSP Blue Storm II 500W and Silverstone Element ST50EF-PLUS 500W

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    56
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default [ASK] FSP Blue Storm II 500W and Silverstone Element ST50EF-PLUS 500W

    1. FSP Blue Storm II 500W: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...=print&reid=84
    Reviewer: OklahomaWolf


    Performance 8
    Functionality 9
    Value 9
    Aesthetics 8
    Total Score 8 (correct is 8,5)


    2. Silverstone Element 500W: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...=print&reid=13
    Reviewer: jonny


    Performance 10
    Aesthetics 7
    Value 10
    Functionality 8.5
    Total Score 9.5

    Why FSP had cross loading 1A (3,3V), 1A (5V), 18A (12V1), 18A (12V2) meanwhile Silverstone "only" had cross loading 3A (3,3V), 4A (5V), 18A (12V1), 18A (12V2)?





    Compare hot load test#5 FSP 17A (3,3V), 18A (5V), 14A (12V1), 14A (12V2) and hot load test#5 Silverstone 15A (3,3V), 18A (5V), 14A (12V1), 14A (12V2).

    In test#5:
    FSP better in 12V rail.
    Silverstone better in 3,3V and 5V rail.

    Is Silverstone Element 500W really deserve "10" in performance?

    In the other hand, Corsair VX 550W "only" get "9.5" in performance.
    Link: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...=print&reid=62

    Thanks.
    I'm not native English.
    Sorry, if my English is not good enough...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    84
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    just because 12V is higher doesn't make it better - best result is exactly 12V imo, 12.33V is about 3% out of spec. The silverstone has a better 12V rail, it doesn't budge in either crossload where the fsp goes out of spec in the 5V heavy crossload. At a guess the silverstone is a decent independent regulated design, while fsp is cheap group regulated. 1% voltage regulation across the board is fantastic for a budget-mid price psu.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,333
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    There are several things you need to consider when running a CL test. Some units will shut down if the minimum load requirement is not met. Perhaps that is why you see different numbers in the CL test. Not every unit is a BFG-ES where you can have 0A on 5V,3.3V and full load on the 12V. You also have to consider the maximum output allowed on a particular rail if these minimum conditions are met. Go beyond that and you are performing OCP/OVP testing instead of a CL test.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Posts
    585
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Perhaps the OP just wants to know, why the Bluestorm 2 was given a supposedly harder/more difficult crossload test compared to the Element, and whether that practice skews the result afterward.

    As a side note, i believe Element is group regulated, though the crossload test seems quite overwhelming for a supposedly group regulated unit, CMIIW.
    Intel C2D E8400 @4.2 GHz 495x8.5
    DFI LanParty LT X38-T2R
    DIY Watercooling
    Adata Vitesta Extreme PC6400 4 GB kit *2 @DDR2 990 5-5-5-15
    HIS HD 4870 512 MB @830-1080
    WDC 3200AAKS *2 (RAID 0) + WDC 5000AACS
    DVDRW BenQ DW2000 + DVDRW LG GH20NS10
    Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Creative Inspire T6600 6.1
    Silverstone Olympia 750w
    TT Kandalf (original)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,333
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spursindonesia View Post
    Perhaps the OP just wants to know, why the Bluestorm 2 was given a supposedly harder/more difficult crossload test compared to the Element, and whether that practice skews the result afterward.
    I thought I answered that:-

    Some units will shut down if the minimum load requirement is not met.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Moderator
    Posts
    6,504
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    149
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    I chose the crossloads for the BSII the way I did because it wasn't immediately apparent what FSP's minimum load requirements are for that model. In the absence of that information, I tend to hit 'em hard

    If you've read the current Hiper review that's up now, the crossload tests are different. This is because I had the minimum load specs for that unit.

    As for the score, I can't recall why at the moment, but I was reluctant to give it the decimal - when that happens, I round down up to .5 and up after .6.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    56
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spursindonesia View Post
    Perhaps the OP just wants to know, why the Bluestorm 2 was given a supposedly harder/more difficult crossload test compared to the Element, and whether that practice skews the result afterward.
    As a side note, i believe Element is group regulated, though the crossload test seems quite overwhelming for a supposedly group regulated unit, CMIIW.
    Yes, this is what I mean.

    For example:
    Of course it is not fair if Mike Tyson need to destroy the wall to get "10", meanwhile standar people only need to destroy paper to get "10".
    Sorry, it's extreme example.


    Quote Originally Posted by Super Nade View Post
    There are several things you need to consider when running a CL test. Some units will shut down if the minimum load requirement is not met. Perhaps that is why you see different numbers in the CL test. Not every unit is a BFG-ES where you can have 0A on 5V,3.3V and full load on the 12V. You also have to consider the maximum output allowed on a particular rail if these minimum conditions are met. Go beyond that and you are performing OCP/OVP testing instead of a CL test.
    Ok, I understand about minimum load requirement...
    But, if Silverstone can't run in 1A on 3,3V and 5V then it is worse than Blue Storm II 500W. Right?
    So Silverstone not really deserve "10" (full mark) in performance.


    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
    I chose the crossloads for the BSII the way I did because it wasn't immediately apparent what FSP's minimum load requirements are for that model. In the absence of that information, I tend to hit 'em hard
    If you've read the current Hiper review that's up now, the crossload tests are different. This is because I had the minimum load specs for that unit.


    As for the score, I can't recall why at the moment, but I was reluctant to give it the decimal - when that happens, I round down up to .5 and up after .6.
    Thanks for fast response.
    So, in your opinion, which one is better, Silverstone Element 500W or Corsair VX 550W?

    Sorry, if my English not good enough.
    I'm not native English.
    I'm not native English.
    Sorry, if my English is not good enough...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Moderator
    Posts
    6,504
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    149
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Corsair.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,333
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D3vastator View Post
    Ok, I understand about minimum load requirement...
    But, if Silverstone can't run in 1A on 3,3V and 5V then it is worse than Blue Storm II 500W. Right?
    So Silverstone not really deserve "10" (full mark) in performance.
    No. Wrong.

    The performance of a unit IMO, is judged by how well it regulates under extreme conditions, not on what the minimum load rating is. Going by your argument, is that FSP is just as good as a Zippy G1 because both have a 1A minimum load on the 12V?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    56
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
    Corsair.
    Could you explain the reason?


    How about Silverstone Element 500W and Corsair VX 450W?
    In my country, the price between them (Element 500W and VX 450W) are close.

    Actually, in my country, FSP Blue Storm I 500W and FSP Saga 400W very popular.
    FSP more popular than Antec, Enermax, and Silverstone....but I know Silverstone is better than FSP.
    I'm not native English.
    Sorry, if my English is not good enough...

Similar Threads

  1. EVGA BQ 500W (Andyson) and Be quiet! Pure Power 10 CM 500W @ ComputerBase
    By Philipus II in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-11-2017, 08:51 AM
  2. Is the Sharkoon Silent Storm Gold 500W a good PSU?
    By nushydude in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-19-2015, 11:46 AM
  3. Unusually high return rates of FSP Blue Storm Bronze 500W
    By rafal_iB_PL in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-17-2011, 01:09 PM
  4. FSP Blue Storm II 500w
    By jcgamo88 in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-07-2007, 07:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •