Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Single vs. Multiple +12V rails: The splitting of the +12V rail

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madmat View Post
    Actually, while not likely to happen in the real world because, as you say the other rails (don't forget 5VSB and -12V) will be pulling on there as well as the 12V, it is capable of running nearly 100% of the 750 on the 12V rail. As HOOfan pointed out, while not entirely honest, their claims cannot be called lies.

The facts that they're presenting are valid but presented in an alarmist fashion.

Fact: A modular interface will create resistance and that resistance will increase with amperage draw. Omitted fact: The added resistance is so low as to result in tenths of watts lost undermines their portrayal.

Fact: A single rail PSU can transfer 100% of the 12V rating into any set of lines in a PC. Omitted fact: It's not likely to happen but the PSU will indeed do it if cross loaded.

Fact: Quad rails can "trap" wattage. Omitted fact: They only do that on tightly limited OCP units with the rails improperly assigned.

They're not untruths, just half truths.
    And that is why it is spreading FUD (Fear, uncertainty, and doubt). And is a logical fallacy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    And that is why it is spreading FUD (Fear, uncertainty, and doubt). And is a logical fallacy.
    100% agreed, my point was simply that they're not lying. everything they say is true, just slanted to show those truths in their favor. It's called marketing.

I could tell the world that you didn't do heroin today and not be saying an untruth (I hope at any rate) and you could merely rebuke me with a claim that you never did it to begin with but the damage is done because some might doubt your sincerity due to my casting shadow on your character. You couldn't claim slander or libel (depending upon the format of my implication) because I never said that you did heroin to begin with, I just created suspicion that you had.

Do I believe doing those things are ethical or just? No but depending upon what you're trying to do (drive sales for a premium product with uber high pricing) I see them as a way to hook suckers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What makes little sense to me is that people are out there trying to back up PC P&C by saying that splitting Rails costs more money (obviously it does as there is more circuitry) and they would rather that money be spent on other inovations...but PC Power and Cooling is using the same damn platforms as many other PSU vendors out there, yet usually charge more for them. If it weren't for OCZ buying them and forcing their prices down they would probably still be charging $230 for the Silencer 750 when you can get the new BFG ES-800 with Multi-rails for that price or less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madmat View Post

Fact: A single rail PSU can transfer 100% of the 12V rating into any set of lines in a PC. Omitted fact: It's not likely to happen but the PSU will indeed do it if cross loaded.

I guess what bugs me about the FUD is that it's also a fact that a multi-rail PSU can transfer 100% of the 12V rail too. And it's just very unlikely that anyone will ever be in a position to do it or want to do it with either design. So again this boils down to a non-issue to me. (notice though that the FUD as written doesn't say "into any set of lines in a PC").

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

For those who question the validity of the "it's for safety" argument, please see the attached photos.

I actually see this quite often. Usually with the floppy connector when attached backwards to a Creative sound card or a floppy drive, but this time it was a four pin Molex and it was NOT attached backwards. What it was plugged into shorted and caused this.

The PSU works fine. In fact, if I isolate the exposed wires so they don't short, I can actually hook it up to the load tester and run it.

The short caused the +12V wire to heat up and melt it's insulation off. The wire never shorted so short circuit protection never shut the PSU off. If the PSU had not shut off once the resistance of the short created a > 20A load, the heat would've melted the other wires' insulation, the sleeve, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So how many 6 12V rail PSUs are out there? Great post and thanks!
    Dave
    NM I see http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817814011

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817814001

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817256038
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817171029

Several from the egg. Anyone have any preferances on any of the 6 rail PSUs?
    Dave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Out of your list? The Cooler Master.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Out of your list? The Cooler Master.
    You would sugest the coolmaster over the ZM? I just read your review of the coolmaster and man I was shocked ()

I had no idea their PSUs where that good now. Over the last few years I have had a smaller enermax, antec, a TT and a PC power and cooling. The antec died, the enermax was outstanding but my upgrade addiction outgrew it, the TT was great but I needed 8 pin PCIe so I went to the PC power PSU (750 quad crossfire). I allways wanted to try them and it is a nice PSU, but I overwhelmed it. My 12V rail is 11.82 so I have a ZM out for delivery.

Thanks man, this site rocks and is THE best sorce for PSU info. Been a lurking for a year or so now a member. Thanks again!!!
    Dave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm going to go ahead and stick this - the single 12V myth is still running rampant all over the net.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good one!
    Thanks for the read^^