Thread: Nice car...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts

Default Nice car...

Saw this thing advertised during the Super Bowl:

http://www.hyundaigenesis.com/

One thing I find interesting in this day and age of front wheel drive Cadillacs.... It's rear wheel drive!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Cool

yakko is offline What does it take to get a custom title around here?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hyundai has come a long way from that crap ass thing called the Excel back in the '80s. I would still rather have the Audi R8 TDI though.
    "I like my women like I like my fans. Loud and with oscillation at 3 speeds." yakko
    ----------------
    "It tastes like potassium." Anne
    ----------------
    "By the time I got halfway through the grocery section I was on robototic-get-the-f**k-out mode." Eds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The website doesn't list estimated fuel efficiency, but then again when you look at this kind of car you don't really pay attention to the gas mileage, well a 20 gal. fuel tank is there for a reason. I also wonder what was their 4.6L V8 engine based off.
    " Don't believe everything you see and only half of what you read on the internet "

" We all dream of a world full of sunshine, happiness and peace.
    But there is a problem.
    That half of the people think it sounds like a wonderful place to live.
    The other half thinks it sounds like a wonderful place to pillage. "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

seems to me the rice burners are now going rear wheel drive and the American cars are going FWD. GM, specifically Pontiac had vowed to go back to their roots of RWD, until the CAFE regulation passed. On another note, the new Dodge Challenger is now available for pre-order. Only available with a 6.1L engine, manual transmission and starting at $40K.....thats more than a freaking BMW 335i.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by templar_m1a1 View Post
    The website doesn't list estimated fuel efficiency, but then again when you look at this kind of car you don't really pay attention to the gas mileage, well a 20 gal. fuel tank is there for a reason. I also wonder what was their 4.6L V8 engine based off.
    That is what I'm wonderin about too.....hopefully they did a good job with it.
    Hyundai has been sort of hit or miss with engines just like Mitsubishi......

If they based it on the Ford 4.6 design then they will have an awesome motor.....we just finished a 4.6 in a 93 mustang that is stroked, supercharged, and has dual fuel rails and fuel pumps. Customer even put nitrous injection on it.......damn thing is a rocket on wheels.....and he drives it on the street daily........and it is hysterical when he pulls up next to some of the hot rod import wanna be's in this town.....

And yakko.....don't blame Hyundai for the excel.....it was a rebadged Mitsubishi......customer of mine had a Hyundai....and the Mitsu version that he used as a parts source to keep it maintained...identical cars...including body panels
    R. N. Koester
    CEO/Founder Macon Armory Inc. and Grumpy Old Soldier
    Don't mess with old farts, for age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Other than FORD 4.6L V8, there is also a GM, Northstar 4.6L V8 which is most often found in Cadillacs, but both engines are a bit short of 375 ponies, with out a forced air induction system, or few tweaks to the ECU/ECM.
    Knowing that Chrysler, Mitsubishi and Hyundai share some parts, well I just hope they didn't use a lightly modified Chrysler engine.
    " Don't believe everything you see and only half of what you read on the internet "

" We all dream of a world full of sunshine, happiness and peace.
    But there is a problem.
    That half of the people think it sounds like a wonderful place to live.
    The other half thinks it sounds like a wonderful place to pillage. "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts

Why does it have to be "based" on anyone's engine?

I have an Elantra w/ a 2.0 16v and a VeraCruz with a 3L V6 and AFAIK, they're just Hyundai motors. Could be they're coming of age and a V8 is now a reality for them.

Not familiar with any Hyundai/Chysler shared parts. The old Ford Aspire was based on a Kia, as is some of the Cortina in the EU.

Edit: From Wikipedia....

The Tau V8 will be Hyundai's first complete in-house 8 cylinder engine, and will be Hyundai's first V8 equipped vehicle to hit dealers in North America.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by templar_m1a1 View Post
    Other than FORD 4.6L V8, there is also a GM, Northstar 4.6L V8 which is most often found in Cadillacs, but both engines are a bit short of 375 ponies, with out a forced air induction system, or few tweaks to the ECU/ECM.
    Knowing that Chrysler, Mitsubishi and Hyundai share some parts, well I just hope they didn't use a lightly modified Chrysler engine.
    Avoid the Northstar like the plague........the average 4.6 Ford I see has 250,000 + miles and 7 out of 10 don't even have to be bored for new pistons.....the average Northstar....less than 100,000 and I can pull, build, reinstall and test a Ford for less that what it costs to put head gaskets on a Northstar......and....you can do a text book build on a Northstar using ALL GM specified torque values and all new parts,....and still have no oil pressure unless you torque the harmonic balancer on the crankshaft nose to the required spec....and then put a 3 foot cheater bar on a 1/2 inch pull handle and crank on it with everything you have......Huge piece of junque in my humble opinion........

JG....mid 80's Hyundai Excel and Mitsu Mirage.......Identical cars with identical drive train........I can't give all the examples but many Hyundai engines are at least based on Mitsubishi designs...if not bought directly from Mitsu. All the 3.0 in chrysler products are mitsubishi.....singel and dual overhead cam, I don't know of any Chrysler products that use the 3.5 DOHC Mitsu.......the 3.5 SOHC is a Chrysler engine. The 2.7 V-6 is a Chrysler motor but it has serious design flaws in engine oiling and the timing components and are hideously expensive to build. As soon as I get an update from AERA on engine specs I'll tell ya'll what I found out on the Hyundai V8.

As far as your Elantra 2.0 SOHC 16 valve G4CP engine.......if you look up parts it has a Mitsubishi short block with a Hyundai design head as far as I can tell, as well as the SOHC 2.4, but the good news is most of the weakness in Mitsubishi engines were in the cylinder head castings.....and Hyundai eliminated that with their own redesigns. From a quick look...all the late model Hyundai V-6 engines are in house designs, can't really comment on then as I have yet to build one

When I say based on the Ford...I mean cast iron block with multi bolt cross bolt main bearing caps and a simple timing chain setup. I have personally torn down Ford 4.6 and 5.4 V-8's with well over 300,000 miles that I wouldn't hesitate to just put back together (these were engines I bought as cores to build and put on the shelf), where Northstars with aluminum Blocks require the installation of a time-sert thread repair insert in all head bolt and main bearing bolt holes prior to assembly.( about $750.00 in special tooling required to do this) They also require the replacement of an oil galley manifold plate that fits between the bottom of the block and the oil pan that ALL replacements I have bought from GM were incorrectly machined requiring modification to fit (over 30 of these parts) in the last three years. Where the 4.6/5.4 Fords use two chains and two tensioners with a seperate tensioner shoe over six inches long (much less per square inch pressure) and a single guide slide per chain , the northstar has three chains, three tensioners with intergral tensioner shoes that have about a square inch of surface space that wears out quick, at least six guides, five chain sprockets and an idler sprocket that transfers the motion of the crank shaft driven primary chain to the secondary camshaft chains..........wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy to many opportunities for failure IMHO....as well as the overheating problems the Northstar is notorious for....Don't believe that bullshit that you can drive a Northstar 50 miles with no coolant because it runs on four cylinders that fire in alternating positions so cold air keeps the engine cool........pure FICTION. And if ya really want to see something funny....go to a Caddilac dealer and tell them you have an oil pan leak........they will either tell you that it's gonna cost over $2500 to fix, laugh, or suggest you live with it if it isn't too bad...
    Last edited by Mad Machinist; 02-10-2008 at 01:08 AM.
    R. N. Koester
    CEO/Founder Macon Armory Inc. and Grumpy Old Soldier
    Don't mess with old farts, for age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts

I knew the old Hyundai and Chryslers used the Mitsubishi engines. I hadn't realized that the 2.0 16v Hyundai motor was actually using a Mitsubishi short block. Thanks for that info.

I like the Hyundai V6. It hauls some serious ass. Unfortunately, it's a gas guzzler.