Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8800gt power issue

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 8800gt power issue

Have just finished building my system with an 8800gt only to discover it does not work properly with my hiper 580w psu.on windows xp you will recieve a warning message saying insuficient power and the performance of the card has been reduced.On vista there is no such message but the same action is taken and the pci express lane is reduced to 1x speed from 16x.I would like to get a new psu but after searching on forums for hours i have discovered many people with the same problems who have such psus as the 850W Antec Quattro which should be more than enough corsair hx620 is also one and lots of others.Antec are apparently working on a fix.I need to be sure the next psu i get for this card works as i cant afford to throw away more money but not sure what to look for as the wattage does not seem to make a difference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    416 Posts

Wow. Will it say this message as soon as you boot into Windows? Does your PSU have one or two PCIe connectors? If two, try the other connector? Can you check your voltages with a DMM?

Even a mediocre 580W should be enough to power a PC with an 8800GT.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dont recieve this message myself because i have vista.The message only appears on xp.the psu has just one pci express connector and i have tried a molex adapter also.Dont have any means of testing though.if you google 8800gt insufficient power you will find hords of people with different psus with the same problem

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

heres a good thread to get a better understanding of the situation http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=448319

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    416 Posts

Yeah, I've seen the problem with the Antec PSU before.

But not with the Hiper.

Who's 8800GT do you have? Is there a firmware update for it?

Obviously, your Hiper or even an Antec should have enough power. I don't think replacing the PSU is a good solution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My 8800gt is a jetway who seem to be impossible to contact.I telephoned them on the numbers they provided on their site and ended up speaking to another computer company who said oh yeah jetway we used to sell their motherboards 3 years ago.the other number was wrong hence their slogan technoligy on the move.they have no firmware updates for their 8800s but evga and asus do this is something to do with a fan speed problem.Some people are saying this card needs a higher ampage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    416 Posts

This card does not need THAT MUCH power. There's something else wrong.

Think about it: The graphics card does NOT KNOW ahead of time how much power your power supply is capable of delivering. If it overloads the power supply, the power supply trips off. Done. Period.

The only reason you would get the error message your getting is if the voltage is low at the connector. But apparently it's only low AT the connector because if it was low at the source the PSU would also turn off.

You've eliminated the connector by using a Molex to PCIe adapter instead of the 6-pin. The other possibility is that there isn't enough juice getting to the card through the PCIe slot, so double check that the card is firmly seated and that the 24-pin is firmly connected into the motherboard.

If you don't have a DMM to check voltages, dare I say you should fire up a program like Speedfan or Everest. Although these reading are generally off, it's better to know what those programs are saying your voltages are instead of not knowing anything at all and guessing as to what the problem is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I did think about the pci express power through the slot but It powers a 7600gt fine which doesnt need an extra supply.The 8800 gt is pci express 2.0 which apparently is backwards compatible.Maybe pci express 2.0 motherboards provide more power through the slot.Will test the 2 progs you mentioned.
    ps very gratefull for your time on this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My friend had this happen on 7950 gx2 cards but he was running 2 of them 8800gt uses far less voltage then thoses cards. I had my 8800gt working on a 460 enermax just i wanted a modular psu so i upgraded.
    CPU=E6600 2.4@3.76 real vcore 1.46
    RAM=4x F2-6400PHU1-1GBHZ
    CASE TEMP=25-40C
    CPU TEMP=40-55C Tuniq Tower
    MOTHERBOARD=Abit ip35-e
    GPU=Evga 8800GT Superclocked 760/1892/2000
    CASE=Antec 900 modded
    PSU=Ultra X-Connect V-Series ULT33183 700 Watts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    416 Posts

The 2.0 doesn't require more power through the slot. It's still limited to 75W.