Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silverstone ST85ZF 12v1 & 12v2 question...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Silverstone ST85ZF 12v1 & 12v2 question...

Ok, I read Jonny's review and I'm quite excited about this PS, I have a Fortron (FSP550-60PLN), and keep overloading my 12v2 rail I have not been able to find the answer to a question of mine.. Or if just keep missing it

From His review:

"But because the ST85ZF only has an 8-pin EPS+12V connector, an adapter is needed to bring this down to a four pin ATX+12V motherboard."

"# 12V1: CPU-1. Typically powered through the 4-pin connector of a power supply. On the ST75ZF, power for CPU-1 is provided by the first two 12V wires on the 8-pin EPS+12V connector.
    # 12V2: CPU-2. Typically, dual CPU motherboards that would require each CPU have its own 12V rail would get it's power from the second two 12V wires on the 8-pin connector. Silverstone also puts the SATA connectors on this rail as well as PCI-e connector #3."

and this image http://www.jonnyguru.com/PSU/ST85ZF/IMG_1105.jpg

Given that info, here is my question.. If you need the 4-pin connector for your CPU power and you use the 8>4 pin converter.. Does it not in fact "Join" those two rails?? Splitting the load between 12v1 and 12v2??

If, that is the case could this happen? More load on 12v2 from other components than there is on 12v1, will there be a "balancing flow" of current through that adapter between the two rails?

Forgive me if that is a totally absurd question, I have only basic electronic knowledge, sometimes just enough to make me over think things..

Thanks in advance!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If the adaptor they use with the 85ZF is the same as the one with my 56ZF, the 4 pin adaptor only gets power from half of the EPS connector. In that case, the two rails would not be combined.

How are you managing to overload 12v2 of that FSP? I would think 12v1 would be more of an issue, given that 12v2 is for the CPU(s) only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the info Oklahoma Wolf, The image was what really confused me, looks like they took they took the four common from the 8pin and ran them down to two on the 4 pin and likewise on the +12v.

"overload" was a missuse of words on my part.. I should have said (and this all revolved around my though that the "rails/lines" were merged.. That the 12v2 would become more loaded that 12v1 since it has the SATA conectors on it too. Granted it would not be a ton of load, I think the 4 drives I'm putting on will only amount to 2-2.5A.

Like I said sometimes I just make things harder than they should be.. You should see the legal pad where I drew this all out and did my math I just want to make sure I'll be ready for a Kentsfiled overclocked on my water setup with a G80 down the line or maybe 2 in SLI if I can find a way to get a nice large monitor I thought My Fortron 550 would last me a while, but I seem to be overloading it, its lead a hard life over the last two years too. It could just be getting weaker.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I was looking at the pics again and it does appear the adaptor sums the rails.

That particular FSP unit is one of their better independantly regulated server units - it should still be ok, though it's a two PCB design that uses the case for cooling. Could be it's been getting hot enough to cook the capacitors, though FSP used mostly Teapo in these models.

The 85ZF is definitely a worthy and better replacement though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK, so I'm not crazy on that adapter Given that would it cause a balancing effect on those two rails?

Yeah, the FPS I have blows heat like a hair dryer out the back.. Maybe I can swap out the fan for a higher CFM, I wont mind the extra noise if it can make me wait a little longer on replacing it.. I've run an old Antec 350 +12 feed into my case to power my 7900GTO for the time being, it seeems to have solved my problem for now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    157 Posts

The ST85ZF adapter splits the load of the 4-pin across the two rails (12V1 and 12V2.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You could get some blue-tack (sp?) and use it to mush a fan on to the back of the FSP and force some more air through.
    Condoleeza Rice is nice but I prefer A-Roni

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the info!! I think I have the answer I'm looking for now. sometimes I can be a little I was seeing it (the adapter) as being able to "bond" and balance the two rails as a whole, given that they were connected.. I guess that is not the case. Off to do some reading so I can understand why that is.

Thanks again! BTW Your reviews are awesome Jonny!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    157 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aalelan View Post
    Thanks for the info!! I think I have the answer I'm looking for now. sometimes I can be a little I was seeing it (the adapter) as being able to "bond" and balance the two rails as a whole, given that they were connected.. I guess that is not the case. Off to do some reading so I can understand why that is.
    Why would that not be the case?

Sorry I didn't get a chance to read all of the back and forth between you and OKW, but if you have a 10A load on a four pin, and that four pin is split up across two rails on an 8-pin, you're essentially splitting that 10A load in half for each of the two rails.

The only fluctuation from 5A per rail would be the mV difference created by resistance in the connector, length of wire, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, I'm just not conveying myself properly in the written word Let me see if I can draw this..

12v1............12v2
    ....V..............V..V
    ....V..............V..---SATA Devices--5A--
    ....>>> 8>4 <<<
    ............V
    .....---CPU-10A---

Well that came out better than what I thought it would

How many amps are on 12v1 and 12v2 in this setup, given that the "8>4" thing is the adapter? Is it 5A on 12v1 and 10 on 12v2 OR is it 7.5 on both, since they are technically bridged/bonded at that adapter point..

Well when I posted it it striped out all my spaces in my drawing, trying to fix it.. Ok I ignore all the ....'s in the drawing only way I could get it to format right..
    Last edited by Aalelan; 11-10-2006 at 04:27 PM.