Thread: Cooler Master 650w extreme power, LOUD!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Cooler Master 650w extreme power, replaced fan

So yeah, I go a cooler master 650w extreme power. I didn't get to bad reviews, wasn't to expensive, and had 30a+ on the 12v rails, all I needed for my 8800gts 320mb and other parts. Besides, the place I was ordering from didn't have anything else that was supposedly better, that I knew of at that time.

Thing is, I like my pc quiet, I've got a p182 with all 3 fans on low, a arctic freezer 64 pro, a samsung spinpint t166 500gb, all pretty quiet parts. The 8800gts is bearly audible.

But my PSU is noisy as hell, and it annoys me to no end. It's supposed to have a regulated fan that only spins up to max when it runs hot, but I've got a feeling it spins up to max all the time. How do I test this? Would it be wise to hold down the fan from the PSU when my PC boots up? It will get fresh air from the casefan so it shouldn't run to hot immediatly?

I had it 'flipped' over, because it's in a lower compartment in my p182, but I flipped it back, so the PSU would be mounted like in a 'normal' case with the fan pointing down. This didn't make a difference, in fact, it might have made things worse.

Last but not least, replacing the fan, is this an option? Will this help? How hard is this to do, knowing I'm not all that technically capable. The casefan I got allready pushes a fair bit of air to my PSU, so a new fan should be able to run fairly quiet, with low rpm's.

TIA
    Last edited by Marc_pcgs; 10-11-2007 at 11:47 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fan swap with a Yate Loon 120mm D12SL-12 : $3.50 at Jab-Tech...
    http://www.jab-tech.com/YATE-LOON-12...2-pr-3009.html

Voids your warranty, but definitely quieter. Fairly easy to do, as well - screw apart teh chassis, remove old fan, screw new one into place. Either remove the molex and solder the corresponding black/red wires into the PSU directly, or run the wire outside to the external and molex connect it there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmz, so I swapped the fan :P Lol, only took me a couple of hours. First I decided the topfan in my p182 wasn't really necesary, and if I were to put it in my PSU, I could regulate the fan speed as well. Let me start at the beginning though, I booted my PC, and held down the PSU fan. Wow, no moire noise!!! So I let it spin up and then tried to hold it down again. You can laugh, I don't know what I was thinking, but I clearly wasn't thinking straight. I demolished the fan from the PSU. Now I had to replace it, wether I liked it or not ...

So I unscrewed a casefan, antec tricool, screwed it into the PSU, hooked up the tricool using the molex connector, but no go, PC would NOT boot. I figured this was a failsave protection from the PSU, to make sure a fan was hooked up, and cooling the PSU. I figured that I had to hook the tricool up to the PSU, internally. So I cut of the connector from the old fan, cut off the molex connector, and soldered the old connector and the tricool fan wirings together. Easy enough, right? I tested it, and yay, it worked.

Only to find out I put in the fan in the wrong way, it was blowing air inside the case, pulling it from outside of the case, through the PSU. So I had to flip the fan. But after that, it's working just fine. It doesn't rev up as bad as the old fan, and now I finaly get to enjoy a nice quiet PC. BUT, my mobo has this TINY WHINY little fan on it, I'm guessing it cools the SB or whatever, I don't have a clue tbh, but it makes an awfull sound, usually drowned out by my PSU, but no longer :P So that's my next project ...

Oh, and I've got pics of the inside of the coolermaster 650w extreme power, anyone want to take a peek inside and tell me wether it's total crap or not?
    http://www.pcgamespecial.nl/users/ma...master650w.jpg
    http://www.pcgamespecial.nl/users/ma...aster650w2.jpg
    http://www.pcgamespecial.nl/users/ma...aster650w3.jpg
    http://www.pcgamespecial.nl/users/ma...aster650w4.jpg

Took those with my phone, so the qaulity isn't to good. Marc out.
    Last edited by Marc_pcgs; 10-11-2007 at 12:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks the same as the seventeam 500w based coolermaster xp 600w but with an extra transformer? or ac input filtering? hard to tell. So maybe its a 550w unit? the pcb will say (see pics on jonnyguru review for location).

http://www.jonnyguru.com/PSU/eXtremePower600W/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seventeam is supposed to be good, right? It only has 32-34a on the 12 rails so I suppose it could be a 550w unit. I don't really feel like opening it up again, that'll have to wait till next time, so I can check what it says on the PCB.