Thread: Do i have enough power? (i sure hope so LOL)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Do i have enough power? (i sure hope so LOL)

Heres the list so far...

-CASE
    Thermaltake Armor Jr. Midtower (FREE)

-PSU
    Thermaltake ToughPower 850w Power Supply Unit (FREE)

-CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail **FREE SHIPPING** 168.90 (ZIPZOOMFLY)

-MOTHERBOARD
    DFI INFINITY P965-S LGA775 ATX Motherboard,Dual DDR2 800, CrossFire Ready 109.99 (DIRECTRON)
    DFI INFINITY P35-T2RL LGA775 ATX Motherboard, Dual DDR2 800, PCI-E, SATA 3Gb/s RAID 144.99 (DIRECTRON)

-RAM
    G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail $79.99

-VIDEO
    MSI RX2600XT Diamond Plus Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB 128-bit GDDR4 OC Edition HDMI HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported - $164.99
    MSI RX2600XT Diamond Plus Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB 128-bit GDDR4 OC Edition HDMI HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported - $164.99

-NIC
    Intel PRO 1000 PCI-e x1 Desktop Gigabit Network Adapter $34.99 (TIGERDIRECT)

-HDD
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $74.99
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $74.99

-CD/DVD
    SAMSUNG Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB

Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner - OEM $31.99

-COOLING COMPONENTS
    Nexus 120mm Real Silent case fan - D12SL-12 Black and white with Silicon $15.99 (JABTECH)
    Thermaltake Extreme Spirt 2 Chipset Cooler (FREE) (x2)
    Thermaltake Spirit RS Memory Heatsinks (FREE) (x2)
    Zalman ZM-MFC1 Six Channel Multi Fan Speed Controller $34.95 (Performance-PCS)
    Blackfire4 UV LED 120mm Fan Sleeved - UVBlue/Orange $12.95 (Performance-PCS)

-SOFTWARE
    Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM $111.99
    NOD32 AntiVirus Download - 1 Year & NOD32 Backup CD Sub-Total: $46.99 (http://www.betterantivirus.com/)

Lookin at more then likely having some sort of low power TEC cooler on the CPU..do i have enough for the crossfire and dual hard drives or what?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That PSU is more than enough.....

...and by free do you mean already on hand or comes free with purchase? I don't really like the term "free" when it comes with power supplies especially when their included with cases.

Also why do you have 2 motherboards listed AND a add-on PCI NIC? The motherboard will already have one or 2 ethernet NIC's built in. If thats just a mistake remove the mobo that isn't p35, the p35's and newer, slightly more future-proof, and is just a better performing chipset. Then again you lose you ability to use SLI with p35... sames you have a simple dual-core you could just go with a 680 chipset for the SLI... ah choices.

....and why are you going crossfire when you can get a single 8800GTS (XFX XXX Edition) for $70 per card more that performs better than those two cards in crossfire even when comparing the two factory OC's. Then if you were to compare them in SLI Vs Crossfire the 8800GTS dominates them... seriously check gpureview.com and compare the cards, don't forget to add in their factory overclock's.

...you need to do more research before you just start randomly choosing components cause just me looking at that build practically makes me want to cry with amount of parts that don't make sense budget wise. But HEY! who am I to tell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm reasonably certain that 850W is more than enough, as those video cards are merely midrange.

Speaking of video cards, you may want to look into a Radeon HD 2900XT (or upcoming 2900 Pro) for $90 more than your combo, and save some money elsewhere to make up for it. The reason is that those two motherboards use chipsets that only do 16x and 4x for the two "16x" slots, meaning the second GPU will be data starved. Crossfire works fine in these cases, but you'll only get a roughly 25% boost in performance. To get more performance out of the same cards, you'll need a board that can do 8x and 8x (Intel 975 chipset boards) or true 16x and 16x (ATI Crossfire chipset boards, or upcoming Intel x38 chipset boards).

If you're going to get that Zalman fan speed controller, then do not get that Nexus fan. Instead, get a Yate Loon fan for around $5 at Jab Tech. The reason is that the Nexus fans are indeed Yate Loon fans, but with a $10 resistor added to it to effectively undervolt it. Since it is already undervolted, putting it on a fan controller would merely make it an on/off controller. Just get the cheaper Yate Loon and use the fan controller to put it at exactly where you want it RPM-wise.

Why a PCI-E network card? Onboard NICs are good for 99% of the time. Just a waste of money, IMO.

Software... I'll let someone else argue that one. :P
    Zap
    Clan of the Bloody Fist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

lol sorry i should have clarified some of that stuff, at the end of each item is just my price quotes, free next to some are just because.... their free...which were not gona go into the two motherboards were on there because i was up in the air as to which one i should get, video cards, still undecided on that matter also, but i just wanted to throw up the premliminary list to get an idea of whether or not im going over my power consumption here. The nexus fan is strictly for looks, because of the white fan blades, with all my computers i build theres a definite style factor thing goin, and i know all about yate loons trust me.

The pci-e network card... meh, just because i guess? Although im still up in the air about that also..reviews have shown that it does minorly increase performance because it doesnt use the shitty onboard controller, overall its of better quality then onboard lan. I i know people that have it and they love it, its basically the same principle as, when you use onboard audio, it takes away from performance.

and trust me, i do not randomly choose components lol took me 3 months to plan out my last computer im not gona go buying this stuff on impulse