Thread: 1kw+ PSUs, all of them have flaws??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exclamation 1kw+ PSUs, all of them have flaws??

I can't decide which PSU to get, they all have faults that I can't accept.

PCP&C Turbo-Cool 1kw: Zero ripple great line regulation almost the perfect PSU except for the NOISE! If only it had a giant 140mm fan instead of that delta 80mm

Silverstone Olympia OP1000: Horrible ripple under high load, about ~90mV on the 12v rail? I don't want to consider any PSU with more than ~50mV ripple on 12v... or does it not really matter??

Ultra X3 1000w: Very little ripple, but voltage droops a little too much under load! If only there was a way to adjust the voltages inside the PSU via a variable resistor?

TT Toughpower 1200w: Great line regulation, but IMO the ripple is too high on the 12v rails and questionable compatibility issues with Asus boards. Why did it get placed in 2nd tier if it's performance rating is a perfect 10?

Antec Quattro 1000w: Although I can't find any reviews of this particular model with oscilloscope graphs, based on the 850w's reviews... ripple seems to be amazing, voltage regulation is good, so why is it in the 3rd tier? Is it because it's built by enhance? HardOCP reviewed the 850w 2 days ago and the oscilloscope graphs tell a different story: http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/articl...50aHVzaWFzdA==
    There was up to 50mV of ripple on the 3.3v rail!

My ideal PSU would be the Turbo-Cool 1kw with a quiet 140mm fan... or should I just settle with a TT Toughpower or Ultra X3? High ripple or Voltage droop... which is worse for overclocking stability/DVD burning quality?

Please help before I rip my hair out,
    Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

There is no such thing as a "perfect" PSU no matter what the DC output capability.

Expecting < 50mV on the +12V is a bit too strict IMHO. 120mV is fairly conservative. < 60mV is less than 0.5% p-p.

As for the OP1000: Do note that the ripple was better on the second sample.

As for the X3: The drop was well within spec and still very respectable considering the amount of juice it puts out. Voltage adjustment is a bad idea because if you adjust it up on high loads, it's going to be too high at low loads.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    There is no such thing as a "perfect" PSU no matter what the DC output capability.

Expecting < 50mV on the +12V is a bit too strict IMHO. 120mV is fairly conservative. < 60mV is less than 0.5% p-p.

As for the OP1000: Do note that the ripple was better on the second sample.

As for the X3: The drop was well within spec and still very respectable considering the amount of juice it puts out. Voltage adjustment is a bad idea because if you adjust it up on high loads, it's going to be too high at low loads.
    Well, 'cheaper' units like the Ultra X3 and Antec Quattro can maintain under 50mV ripple on the 12v, why can't more expensive units like the OP1000 and TT toughpower do it? How important is ripple for overclocking stability?

Is voltage adjustment possible on the X3 though?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

Ripple, especially if it's within spec, is going to have no effect on OC. The motherboard's components filter most of it out anyways.

Take people OC'ing with FSP PSU's, for example.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But don't forget, excessive ripple can make previously stable overclocks (say on ram) unstable after an extended exposure time. It may not have an immediate effect but in the long term it has the potential to cause problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

Right. The big problem with ripple is the long term. The PSU still works, but over time everything that has to filter that ripple is going to get tired of doing it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HKPolice View Post
    Why did it get placed in 2nd tier if it's performance rating is a perfect 10?
    The tier system isn't based purely on performance, it's also weighted quite heavily by build quality. A tier 1 PSU will likely have a smaller chance of failiure (or, depending on your perspective, a longer lifespan).