Thread: 20/24 pin compatability?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 20/24 pin compatability?

Hello all, I find myself in need, again, of some help.

Here's the problem - my gf buys a used computer setup (good deal, too) from some guy locally, it seems to work well enough at the time...recently, there's been some odd instability. So I open it up and look a bit closer, clean it out, etc. WTF! This guy throws a 20 pin adapter from the PSU into a 24 pin connection on the MB. Wish I had noticed that 8 months ago! THAT would explain the random freezeups, I would say. It's this PSU, by the way:

http://www.ultraproducts.com/product...&productID=157

Yes, I know it ain't that great, but like I said, she got it cheap. Anyway, here's where I need some help:

1. Is there any way to make use of the PSU for this MB, like some 24-pin adapter, or are they just totally incompatible?

2. If they're incompatible, as I suspect they are, are there any good case/PSU combos that can be had at a reasonable price (<$100 is best)? I'm aware of good cases and good PSUs, but finding them together, if possible, seems to save money. Really, she only needs room for the ATX MB, X800 series GFX, 1 pci card, 1HDD and 1-2 opticals. So, any mid-tower with a 350-400+ watt PSU should do. Suggestions?

Thanks, Nick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is no problem using 20-pin PSU with 24-pin mainboard. Using a 20/24-pin adapter will not change anything
    I cannot say what causes this instability, but it's definitely not the 20-pin PSU connector.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So the 20 pin cable really supplies all the power the MB needs? Why the 24 pins on the MB then? It seems odd that if they're unnecessary, apparently, they would even be there. Craziness. Well, maybe this is a software issue. Back to the drawing board...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Someone with more knowledge could explain this.

It's also interesting that even when you use a 20-pin PSU with a 24-pin motherboard, the empty connectors still show normal readings for each voltage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The 4 additional pins are for GND, +3.3V, +5V and +12V. I guess this helps to spread the current more even on higher loads, as on the 20-pin we have only one pin for each of the following voltages - +3.3V, +5V and +12V. I am not sure, but I think with 20-pin you can deliver 8A to the motherboard through the 12V line, which in your case is more than enough. I don't think that 24-pins are unnecessary, it's just that they are not mandatory for now

PS: Did my best to explain it in english, but please correct me, if there is something wrong with my post

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

youngyear built ultras are questionable at best regarding internal build quality.

the Corsair VX450, or even an Antec EA380 would be ideal for that computer.
    Rig 1: Phenom II X2 550-Asus M5A78L-MLX--2x4 Patriot DDR3 1333--Asus Formula HD4770--Enermax Triathlor 450--LG Flatron W2252TQ--Win 10 x64
    Rig 2: Core i3 6300--Asrock Z170M Extreme4--2x8 Adata DDR4 2400--EVGA GTX 750Ti--Corsair CX500M--Corsair Hydro H55--Windows 7 x64