Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Help, I am very confused.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Please Help, I am very confused.

Hi guys. I'm brand new to the forum. I've found this site after learning more about the importance of a good PSU. Just in time, because I'm about to order parts for my first build. Well, the first build that I'd be doing myself. I've been doing lots of research, and I think I'm ready. I'm just very confused as to what PSU would be good for my system. Yes, even after reading the Stickies

I want this PSU to last through my upgrades over the coarse of a few years at least.

Here's what my system will look like;

-CPU: Q6600 G0. Looking to upgrade to the newer CPU's next year also.
    -Mobo: Abit IP35 Pro. Going to upgrade to X38 Mobo later this year.
    -Cooling/HSF: Tuniq Tower 120 or Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
    -GPU: 8800GTS 320 For Now. Going to upgrade to a High End next gen card when they come out later this year. I highly doubt I will SLI/Crossfire though.
    -RAM: Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 2x1gb. Will add more ram later. Maybe DDR3 next year.
    -HD's: 2 PATA's, and 2 SATA's. Maybe 1 or 2 more SATA's down the road.
    -DVD Burner: Pioneer DVR-212DBK
    -Case: Cooler Master Stacker 830 or 832 with about 7 Fans. Some LED's
    -Display: Samsung 226BW S Panel 1680x1050 (Already have this)
    -USB Laser Mouse & Keyboard
    -PCI M-Audio Delta 1010 Sound Card for Audio Recording/Mixing
    (Already have this)
    -Another Sound Card for Music and Gaming possibly.
    -TV Tuner Card

XP Home OEM & Vista Home Premium for Dual Boot.

I will be overclocking the CPU, Ram, & GPU as much as possible on Air.

I was leaning towards a Corsair 620HX, as they are very popular at Anandtech and some other sites. But I'm not sure if this is enough for me, with my plans for upgrading.

What else should I be looking at? Modular would be GREAT. Price is a big concern. I was hoping to keep this under $200, as much as possible.

Thanks a lot guys. Great site here! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PressX View Post

-CPU: Q6600 G0. Looking to upgrade to the newer CPU's next year also.
    -!
    Why? do you really need it? its all pretty amazing, will a new one give you any benefits? your already spending a fortune on that rig.

Seems like its just upgrading for the sake of it, you've been sucked into the specmanship trap, I doubt there will be any point for 2 years on.

let it all stabilise for a bit, and prices to fall, and when you can't do things with your rig, then is the time to upgrade

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    158 Posts

If you highly doubt you'll ever do SLI, then the HX620W is more than enough, even for when you upgrade next year.

The only concern is that an upgrade from an 8800GTX is going to have an 8-pin PCI-e connector on the card, but these replacement cables are available from Corsair.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ianm2 View Post
    Why? do you really need it? its all pretty amazing, will a new one give you any benefits? your already spending a fortune on that rig.

Seems like its just upgrading for the sake of it, you've been sucked into the specmanship trap, I doubt there will be any point for 2 years on.

let it all stabilise for a bit, and prices to fall, and when you can't do things with your rig, then is the time to upgrade
    You're right. I haven't upgraded my current rig, since I got it. Well, nothing but the video card and adding a hard drive. I just want to know that I have the option to upgrade without the psu crapping out. Just playing it safe.
    I'll be using this system for Audio Production/Editing, Video Editing, Gaming, casual use.
    Here's my current system that I've been running for years now;

-CPU: P4 2.4C
    -Mobo: Asus P4P800 Deluxe
    -Ram: 1gb (2x512mb) Kingston Value
    -PSU: Cheap No Name 330w pos.
    -GPU: Radeon 9800 128mb AGP
    -Case: Cheap POS with 1 fan
    -3 Ultra ATA IDE HD's with 2mb Cache. 2x80gb, & 1x40gb.

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    If you highly doubt you'll ever do SLI, then the HX620W is more than enough, even for when you upgrade next year.

The only concern is that an upgrade from an 8800GTX is going to have an 8-pin PCI-e connector on the card, but these replacement cables are available from Corsair.
    According to newegg, 620HX has 2 x 6-pin PCI-e. This should be fine for any of the current Cards correct? (8800GTS/GTX/2900xt).

So you're saying the newer cards will have 8-Pin connectors? As long as I can order the cables from Corsair by the time I upgrade, I don't really mind.

Sorry for my ignorance. I'm new to this. This will be my first build.

Thanks a lot Jonny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I highly doubt I will SLI/Crossfire though.
    X38 motherboards almost certainly will not be capable of SLI anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

According to newegg, 620HX has 2 x 6-pin PCI-e. This should be fine for any of the current Cards correct? (8800GTS/GTX/2900xt).
    Yes.

So you're saying the newer cards will have 8-Pin connectors? As long as I can order the cables from Corsair by the time I upgrade, I don't really mind.
    Ati HD2900 XT already have the P8 connector but you can use a P6 PCI-e connector without problem (though no automatic OC).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Automatic OC? Pffft. Most of the fun from OC'ing is doing it manually anyway, isn't it?

Unless the 6-pin connector won't allow manual OC either.

Thanks guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    158 Posts

You said:

Quote Originally Posted by PressX
    Going to upgrade to a High End next gen card when they come out later this year.
    If you're upgrading from an 8800GTS to something "next gen" coming out later this year, I can only imagine you're talking about something G90 based, and that will have an 8-pin PCI-e connector along with the standard 6-pin, very much like the ATI 2900 cards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    You said:

If you're upgrading from an 8800GTS to something "next gen" coming out later this year, I can only imagine you're talking about something G90 based, and that will have an 8-pin PCI-e connector along with the standard 6-pin, very much like the ATI 2900 cards.
    Sorry about not making myself clear. I'll be ordering a 8800GTS with this build. With the possibility of upgrading to one of the new G90 based cards that are due out later this year. Unless ATI does something special this time.

I was going to just get a GTX, but they are way too expensive when you think about how soon the next gen cards are coming. And to be honest, I'm not sure I even need anything more than a 8800GTS 320mb. That's why I'm getting that for now. It's cheap enough. If I really can't deal with it, I can upgrade later this year or early next. I haven't played Pc games much at all, so I have nothing to compare. I plan on gaming much more now that I'll have a very capable PC though.

I think I understand you now. The new g90 cards will be just like how the 2900 is now. 6-Pin will work, but won't support some feature like Auto OC? In that case, I'm not worried. I can always get a replacement cable from Corsair, like you said. I'm fine with that.

I appreciate all the help guys. I'm new to this, and trying to learn as much as I can, and be smart with my first build.