Thread: Second life: Dumb and crappy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Second life: Dumb and crappy

I have tried out second life. latency is horrible, things don't work right, the game is jerky, there is no gaming aspect to it, voice is pathetic as it doesn't work at all, and things are way too expensive and dumb. The only interesting thing is how hot female characters can look, but anyone getting off on looking at cartoons of women, well...
    System #1: DFI LP UT nF4 SLI-DR; Athy 64 s939 4800 Toledo (MKII) @ 3.01GHz w/Thermalright XP-120 Lapped & Panaflo w/Coollabs Liquid Metal compound; 2 x 1GB Team Xtreem Cronus Micron 5B-f DDR-500; EVGA 7950GT; Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum; 6prt Adaptec USB card; SevenTeam ST750Z-AF Modular supply; ASUS DRW 1608DW burner NEC 3520a burner; Seagate 7200.10 750GB SATAII HD; Seagate 7200.10 ES 500 GB SATAII HD; Excelstor 80GB SATAI HD; Coolermaster Stacker STC T01 UWK; it's modest, but paid for

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

plus, anyone who let's second life become their first life...

I haven't checked it out (dang 26.8k!), but if I did spend lots of time behind DSL, it would probably be LOTR online.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, don't get me wrong, MMORPGs can be fantastic. But get this, roomate was all pumped because he found another "free" (yeah right, more like a rip off) online game. I said I wasn't interested in hearing about it, sorry. He got annoyed and said "but you haven't even looked at it yet" and I told him that it probably was more 2nd life type crap, being the people who tell him about this junk.

So I relented and let him show me it. Yup, more of the same stupid crap.

And now he is all fired about about some kind of Chinese one, and wants me to find a way to let him type Chinese from his keyboard (LOL, he doesn't even KNOW Mandarin!) I weasled out of getting involved because he often just creates headaches for me to deal with later on.

You know, he spends countless hours on second life, he loves it, go figure.

My roomate is a real character.
    System #1: DFI LP UT nF4 SLI-DR; Athy 64 s939 4800 Toledo (MKII) @ 3.01GHz w/Thermalright XP-120 Lapped & Panaflo w/Coollabs Liquid Metal compound; 2 x 1GB Team Xtreem Cronus Micron 5B-f DDR-500; EVGA 7950GT; Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum; 6prt Adaptec USB card; SevenTeam ST750Z-AF Modular supply; ASUS DRW 1608DW burner NEC 3520a burner; Seagate 7200.10 750GB SATAII HD; Seagate 7200.10 ES 500 GB SATAII HD; Excelstor 80GB SATAI HD; Coolermaster Stacker STC T01 UWK; it's modest, but paid for

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sure sounds like fun being stuck w/ a roomie like that.

Tell him that if you paint different chinese characters on his keyboard that it will magically start typing mandarin, but only is he has a USB keyboard that uses revision 1.05^e, and is using DirectX 3 input drivers.

That should keep him entertained for a couple hours at least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tee Hee hee!

I just reinstalled his OS and a bunch of software to make him happy, hopefully it will keep him out of my hair for a while after we finish tuning it.

He was worried about his CPU running too hot on his gateway, so he copies me and orders some ASC. I tell him: "Let me install it, or at least go to AS's site and read the directions, it is VERY critical to do it right!!!" So he gets mad at me and yells at me and says "xxxxxxx! I am a computer technician, I was working on Macs before you went to college, I know what I am doing!" (He yells at me all the time what I try and tell him stuff to look after him.

Well, rather than wait for me, rather than read the instructions, rather than swallow his pride and ask about where wires go, he proceeds to apply the past wrong after not cleaning it right, then shorts the board and fries the mainboard! Then he goes an entire day hiding it from me until I ask to borrow his system while mine is doing a SuSE install. I wanted to tell him "I told you so, why don't you ever listen to me?" But I didn't, I was nice and told him I was sad for him and that *IF* he felt like getting my help to fix it, I'd help, no pressure.

So what does he do? He calls some fly by night computer shop here in BFE and they take the system from him and tell him in a week it will be fixed but no estimate. 3 weeks later he gets it back with the OS and license lost, recovery disk gone, crappy copy recovery disk, a piece of crap PCCHIPS LOW end motherboard, 512 MB of RAM, on board video, a bottom end Sempron, and a really cheap supply (forget what it is), they charged him $450! Shoot, I could have built him a newer, more up to date system for that! And get this: The single case fan doesn't spin, they didn't use the right adapter, it is a four mini pin fan, one of those weird ones, they were so cheap they couldn't give him a passable fan.

A month later he comes to me whining that he can't play second life so I tell him "Hey, no problem, I'll give you one of my old graphics cards and it will solve it!" But his pride and paranoia gets in his way and he goes two more months then finally in a really round about way hints he needs the card without having the stones to come out and ask for it. So I install it for him but then he somehow borks his LAN driver.

After fixing the LAN we have to get back into the router I gave him and his bellsouth modem, and what did he do? What he ALWAYS does: He refuses to keep any type of secured password storage application so I have to reset the boxes and reinstall updates, yadda yadda.

more hassles and then today he tells me he wants a fresh install. His system is slow as hell and I tell him that but I am doing what I can and he gets upset it is taking too long and starts sighing really loud.

Oh the joys of helping others with computers!

But don't get me wrong, he is a friend and has been there for me in some ways when I was desperate, so I tolerate him walking around in soiled underwear in the house in front of me. Heh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a 3D sex IRC room where all the girls are really fat guys with boobs and the guys are ummm well.