Thread: PSU Problem????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PSU Problem????

Hi, my nieces pc, HP Pavillion a340n, just started acting up. When you power it on, it will start to boot up then the screen would go black with no power signal message. The fans are all spinning, in fact the cpu fan is in high gear. Most of the time just powering it off and on will fix it, pc will boot, fans spin back down to normal speed, and windows starts. I cleaned the dust out of the pc and redid the AS5 (temp shows 39 in bios). Ran memtest for about 5 loops, no errors, ram appears ok. She's using the onboard vid & audio so no cards involved. I'm thinking the psu is starting to go. It's a 250w Hipro. Anyone have any thoughts?
    Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kenny_k View Post
    Hi, my nieces pc, HP Pavillion a340n, just started acting up. When you power it on, it will start to boot up then the screen would go black with no power signal message. The fans are all spinning, in fact the cpu fan is in high gear. Most of the time just powering it off and on will fix it, pc will boot, fans spin back down to normal speed, and windows starts. I cleaned the dust out of the pc and redid the AS5 (temp shows 39 in bios). Ran memtest for about 5 loops, no errors, ram appears ok. She's using the onboard vid & audio so no cards involved. I'm thinking the psu is starting to go. It's a 250w Hipro. Anyone have any thoughts?
    Thanks.
    I agree it definitly could be the PSU. Only way to know is to try another

However it could be the motherboard as well.
    Yin|Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3|Swiftech XT-> GTX240 -> DDC+ w/ Petra's|2600K @ 4.8GHz |4 x 4 GB G.Skill Eco PC3-12800|Asus 7950 DirectCUII|256 GB Crucial M4|2 x 2 TB Seagate LP(Raid-0)|Seasonic M12-700|Lian-Li PC-6077B (Heavily Modded)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

Doubt that's a PSU problem. Although you can't completely rule it out, I don't think it should be your first consideration.

My first consideration would be the motherboard. But it's easy to just grab a second PSU and plug it in to see if it solves the problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You may want to try clearing the CMOS. There is a chance that curuption of the saved data there could be causing the problem. Also give your motherboard a good look over and make sure all the caps look good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

with no power signal message
    What sort of message ? Where ? If it's seen on the monitor that could be video related (refresh rate too high or low for example).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well guys thanks for all your help. It appears to be working now, unfortunately I don't know what exactly fixed it. While I had the case open swapping the psu's, I popped the battery. Could have been either, or both that fixed it. Thanks again.