Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: G80 SLI Approved List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    388 Posts

Ok.. Well, it seems to me that the SLI certification for.....

G8800GTS SLI is 12V @ 55A with two PCI-e

G8800GTX SLI is 12V @ 60A with four PCI-e

Maximum power consumption of the 8800GTX is, as I had assumed earlier based on the PCI-e specification sheet I've seen, 225W per card.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Omg!

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Ok.. Well, it seems to me that the SLI certification for.....

G8800GTS SLI is 12V @ 55A with two PCI-e

G8800GTX SLI is 12V @ 60A with four PCI-e

Maximum power consumption of the 8800GTX is, as I had assumed earlier based on the PCI-e specification sheet I've seen, 225W per card.
    This is CRAZZY!

This setup will probably blow the fuse off my home's power box.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm glad we had all our home's electrical circuitry and breakers brought up to code during the renovation two years ago.

Okay, so for those that want to run 8800GTX in SLI you need a psu with 60A total, with four 12V rails? Or just a psu that has 60A total with four PCIe connectors on it? I'm guessing the latter. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around number of rails needed for all these new cards.
    Last edited by Skott; 11-03-2006 at 05:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haha!!! NV4THEWIN got busted!!!

That's why you ALWAYS DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!!

Or do what 9 out of 10 do and just copy and paste my shit.
    That's why I value your opinion, I look at it like this "there are lots of people who like to think they know"

But your in a different league my friend you actually do know! You do this by hard work and and so gain the knowledge you have, I'm just pleased I know to come over here for the genuine honest advice.

Keep up the good work Jonny it's very much appreciated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    388 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skott View Post
    I'm glad we had all our home's electrical circuitry and breakers brought up to code during the renovation two years ago.

Okay, so for those that want to run 8800GTX in SLI you need a psu with 60A total, with four 12V rails? Or just a psu that has 60A total with four PCIe connectors on it? I'm guessing the latter. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around number of rails needed for all these new cards.
    Just 60A total on the 12V or 12V's. Can be one, two or three......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skott View Post

Need probably won't be near as high as the recommendation is from NVIDIA as always

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dailytech's test of the G8800 GTX shows that they WAYYY overestimated the power requirements for this card. With a quad core cpu and a G8800 GTX under full load, the system was only pulling 321W from the wall. With 80% efficiency factored in, a little less than 400W. That's WELL under what everyone was thinking. It's only using about 4% more power than a 1950XTX.

I don't understand why you'd need 4 PCI-E connectors, wouldn't the molex adapters work? If they do work than I'm willing to say that you can easily get by with two of these in SLI powered by something like the Corsair 520W.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    388 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Dailytech's test of the G8800 GTX shows that they WAYYY overestimated the power requirements for this card. With a quad core cpu and a G8800 GTX under full load, the system was only pulling 321W from the wall. With 80% efficiency factored in, a little less than 400W. That's WELL under what everyone was thinking. It's only using about 4% more power than a 1950XTX.

I don't understand why you'd need 4 PCI-E connectors, wouldn't the molex adapters work? If they do work than I'm willing to say that you can easily get by with two of these in SLI powered by something like the Corsair 520W.
    You have to read what you read in context.

Like I stated this in another thread where the DailyTech article is linked...

The 8800GTX did not use much power to run the apps DailyTech ran. Yes it ran these apps better than the X1950XTX, and the power consumption it required to run these apps is minimal considering the increase in performance. But I seriously doubt that any of these apps are capable of running a G80 at it's full potential. It's probably going to take at least a year for apps to fully utilize the power of the G80 and by then, we'll all be here talking about the G90 and tri-GPU's with max power consumption of 300W per GPU. Mark my words.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You have to read what you read in context.

Like I stated this in another thread where the DailyTech article is linked...

The 8800GTX did not use much power to run the apps DailyTech ran. Yes it ran these apps better than the X1950XTX, and the power consumption it required to run these apps is minimal considering the increase in performance. But I seriously doubt that any of these apps are capable of running a G80 at it's full potential. It's probably going to take at least a year for apps to fully utilize the power of the G80 and by then, we'll all be here talking about the G90 and tri-GPU's with max power consumption of 300W per GPU. Mark my words.
    I second that emotion
    MSI P67A-GD65
    i72600K@4.8
    Corsair H70
    4x4Gb GSkill Ripjaws 16Gb 1600
    MSI 670 GTX PE/OC
    2x750Gb Seagate Barracuda's RAID 0
    Zalman ZM-MFC1
    Lite-On Dvd burner
    SB X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
    Silverstone Zeus ST85ZF
    Coolermaster HAF-932
    "Experience is the benchmark of maturity"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just 60A total on the 12V or 12V's. Can be one, two or three......

Okay, thanks Jonny. Now I just gotta start looking and comparing at all the 60A+ psu availble now and in the coming weeks.