Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Applying Thermal Paste........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Applying Thermal Paste........

Hi Everyone,

I've come across some info over at Arctic Silver on how it should be applied to a *quad* which has me scratching my head.

For dual cores, I've always used the same method and have achieved great temps.

I've always just put a very thin layer over the entirety of the IHS. Here is AS's method.

I was under the impression you never wanted the IHS to come in contact with the bare heatsink. With the way AS has shown, you'd have area on the IHS and HS that would not be covered, which is going against what I *thought* was right.

Just can't wrap my head around their method, so, I'm looking for you guys to explain to me why their method will work better, because I really don't understand.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts

Nothing wrong with that.

When you apply to a single core, you put a little pea in the middle and let the compression of the HSF squeeze it out from the center.

With the two cores, they're just having you draw a line across both cores. Then the application of the HSF will squeeze excess out from there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks jonny, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything important thermal wise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, they are just illustrating why it is done that way.
    System #1: DFI LP UT nF4 SLI-DR; Athy 64 s939 4800 Toledo (MKII) @ 3.01GHz w/Thermalright XP-120 Lapped & Panaflo w/Coollabs Liquid Metal compound; 2 x 1GB Team Xtreem Cronus Micron 5B-f DDR-500; EVGA 7950GT; Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum; 6prt Adaptec USB card; SevenTeam ST750Z-AF Modular supply; ASUS DRW 1608DW burner NEC 3520a burner; Seagate 7200.10 750GB SATAII HD; Seagate 7200.10 ES 500 GB SATAII HD; Excelstor 80GB SATAI HD; Coolermaster Stacker STC T01 UWK; it's modest, but paid for

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe I'm just splitting hairs, but essentially, you should be able to put thermal paste strictly over the cores and call it a day correct?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Same difference I should think. But you know, Arctic Silver's instructions should be followed explicitely IMHO. Why? Because they have done the work to figure out the best way to do stuff, right?

That said, the cores are what need cooling, so if paste is on the areas of the IHS that contact the cores, you're covered. What matters is how you apply it and install it.

I recently lapped my thermalright XP-120 and then reintalled it but changed over from ASC to Coollaboratories Liquid Pro Liquid Metal. That stuff is applied by a radically different methodology: a #4 paint brush that I cut the bristles shot on. It put the stuff on so thin you could almost see through it and the results were shockingly good. How you do it makes a big difference in how well the stuff works...
    System #1: DFI LP UT nF4 SLI-DR; Athy 64 s939 4800 Toledo (MKII) @ 3.01GHz w/Thermalright XP-120 Lapped & Panaflo w/Coollabs Liquid Metal compound; 2 x 1GB Team Xtreem Cronus Micron 5B-f DDR-500; EVGA 7950GT; Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum; 6prt Adaptec USB card; SevenTeam ST750Z-AF Modular supply; ASUS DRW 1608DW burner NEC 3520a burner; Seagate 7200.10 750GB SATAII HD; Seagate 7200.10 ES 500 GB SATAII HD; Excelstor 80GB SATAI HD; Coolermaster Stacker STC T01 UWK; it's modest, but paid for

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The thickness of AS5 should only be about the same as a sheet of printer paper once it's been applied and pressed on by the HS anyhow. I can almost see through that too. Used to be that AS5 was applied with a dab the size of a rice grain and spread with a razor.

I've used that older method with the razor and the method of using the big line and letting the HS do the spreading. Both on the same Core 2 proc, and both with the same temps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jcgamo88 View Post
    I've used that older method with the razor and the method of using the big line and letting the HS do the spreading. Both on the same Core 2 proc, and both with the same temps.
    I really didn't think there would be any difference, but I was open to the possibility of this *being new and improved*

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just changed out the CPU on my laptop and this is what I did. This is for small core.

Remove the residue of stock thermal pad the best I can with a sovlent.
    Smear a bit of arctic alumina on heatsink then wipe off

Add a dab of arctic alumina, about the size of a grain of rice and spread out into a thin, even layer so the entire core is covered using the edge of a blister pack plastic.

Install the heatsink.

This is still the method they recommend for exposed core type.
    Last edited by Kvar; 07-30-2007 at 04:17 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I used my Liguid Pro I only applied about 1/4 of a short grain rice kernel to both the HS and the IHS. Applying and whiping doesn't work right with liquid pro. It is quite difficult to apply but boy does it work!