Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chipset heatsink

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default chipset heatsink

Hi I intend to attach a passive copper heatsink (2.5 cm) on my southbridge chipset. Is a lot of fins on southbridge heatsink necessary? The chipset heatsink I am interested to buy is just a simple and ordinary 'U' shape with flat based with out any fins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    223 Posts

Why?

Your Southbridge doesn't have anything on it now, does it?

Southbridge is typically just your IDE, PCI, USB, etc. It really doesn't get hot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Why?

Southbridge is typically just your IDE, PCI, USB, etc. It really doesn't get hot.
    My southbridge heatsink is 61*c right now without a fan on it (external temp probe.) Too hot to hold my finger onto for more than a second.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had to sink up my SB too. Even with just 4 IDE devices and one PCI modem, it was hot enough to hurt my finger if I left it on there for more than a second or 2. It took about 10 mins for it to stop hurting completely. It was just a little warm.

Any old HS will do. Just buy some AS5 epoxy, those little sticky pads that come with HSs aren't thermally conductive at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    223 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    My southbridge heatsink is 61*c right now without a fan on it (external temp probe.) Too hot to hold my finger onto for more than a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by LC_STiK View Post
    I had to sink up my SB too. Even with just 4 IDE devices and one PCI modem, it was hot enough to hurt my finger if I left it on there for more than a second or 2.
    So your computers were locking up, crashing, etc. until you stuck a heatsink on the Southbridge?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why?

my southbridge doesn't have anything on it. So I am thinking of getting a passive heatsink to cool it as it ran rather warm when I touch it after shutting down the pc.
    Previously, my southbridge chipset was burned and I got it replaced.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    223 Posts

Only time I had ever seen a burned SB chip (a couple times) the board was defective to begin with.

But go ahead and slap a sink on there if you want. It's not like it's going to hurt. Just make sure you put it on there with something that'll come back off in case you have to RMA the board. Use something like AS Thermal Adhesive to put it on there and you'll void your board's warranty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Only time I had ever seen a burned SB chip (a couple times) the board was defective to begin with.

But go ahead and slap a sink on there if you want. It's not like it's going to hurt. Just make sure you put it on there with something that'll come back off in case you have to RMA the board. Use something like AS Thermal Adhesive to put it on there and you'll void your board's warranty.
    Hi thanks for replying. Okay, I will try to get thermal adhesive to hold the passive heatsink in place. But I wonder why would it void the motherboard warranty when you take care of their motherboard by cooling the chipset to prevent burning it?

By the way, is passive heatsink with a lot of fins necessary?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    223 Posts

You misunderstood..

If something happened to the motherboard and you had to RMA it, you have to be able to remove the heatsink from the SB or they're going to void your warranty.

Adding a heatsink to a Southbridge is considered modifying a motherboard and they will void your warranty.

Working as an RMA/RTV tech, I have seen my share of voided warranties from things as simple as adding additional heatsinks to a couple chips on the board.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You misunderstood..

If something happened to the motherboard and you had to RMA it, you have to be able to remove the heatsink from the SB or they're going to void your warranty.

Adding a heatsink to a Southbridge is considered modifying a motherboard and they will void your warranty.

Working as an RMA/RTV tech, I have seen my share of voided warranties from things as simple as adding additional heatsinks to a couple chips on the board.
    Hi thanks for the explanation. I thought that if I spend the money to ensure that the chipset disspate heat better and yet if during rma they consider that I void the warranty is not logical. The manufacturer should have attached a heatsink in the first place. Some southbridge chipset does get 'hot'.

Another thought, even if using thermal adhesive which we can remove the heatsink during rma, the rma technical support will still be able to see the faint white mark on the chipset isn't it? Because I remember my ram chipset accidentally got a bit of thermal compound when I was applying it to my cpu. I tried to wipe away the white thermal compound on the ram chipset. But no matter how it still look a tiny bit whitish. I think this will happen to the southbridge chipset too.

Oh, by the way, I also think the previous motherboard southbridge chipset was defective to begin with. As the southbridge chipset was burned with just 3 days of use. I didn't get burned again after they replaced same motherboard with different southbridge chipset maker.